news & politics:discussion

zahidf

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...although looks kind of official..

I agree with other comments - at last a Labour policy that sounds like Labour.

I also find it interesting that Raynor got promoted and is now a lot more to the fore in campaigns and announcements. Maybe Starmer has decided she will actually win votes more than those she might lose when the Tories play the Corbyn card. Before the reshuffle shemhad been 'hidden' quite a lot.

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I agree with other comments - at last a Labour policy that sounds like Labour.

I also find it interesting that Raynor got promoted and is now a lot more to the fore in campaigns and announcements. Maybe Starmer has decided she will actually win votes more than those she might lose when the Tories play the Corbyn card. Before the reshuffle shemhad been 'hidden' quite a lot.

Starmer vs Rayner seems like could be a thing at some point.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Starmer vs Rayner seems like could be a thing at some point.

IMHO if elected the 'sides' of the party will start to fight if things are not going well after  a couple of years (egged on by the media making stories up) and we end up with another government dealing with infighting.

If things are going well in reality and the polls then they will be amicable.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, maybe...unemployment on the up...

Inflation will stay the same or go up by around 0.25% in the August figures and may well go up again in the September figures.

Both are expected, first due to fuel price, the second mainly grain prices but fuel prices have  a 3-6 month lag on overall food etc prices so the fall in inflation may take longer than expected.

Markets have a 0.25% rate rise built in with 8% thinking it will be double that (it won't be). If there is no rise not sure how the markets will react.

43 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Inflation will stay the same or go up by around 0.25% in the August figures and may well go up again in the September figures.

Both are expected, first due to fuel price, the second mainly grain prices but fuel prices have  a 3-6 month lag on overall food etc prices so the fall in inflation may take longer than expected.

Markets have a 0.25% rate rise built in with 8% thinking it will be double that (it won't be). If there is no rise not sure how the markets will react.

Yeah another rate rise seems inevitable, but I think 5.75% is still on the cards (still lower than earlier predictions of peaking at 6%)

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

. If there is no rise not sure how the markets will react.

Pound would get weaker , which isn’t ideal 

40 minutes ago, cellar said:

Yeah another rate rise seems inevitable, but I think 5.75% is still on the cards (still lower than earlier predictions of peaking at 6%)

They’ll go to at least 6. Markets and lots of experts have under cooked it at every turn. I remember when it wouldn’t get last 3 then it wouldn’t get last 4 etc etc 

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Pound would get weaker , which isn’t ideal 

That would be the historic norm but last time when they went up the pound fell and a while ago when it went up by 0.5% and few expected that the £ fell.
The old norms seem to have all gone out the window recently - even rate rises in the US that should make the USD stronger actually made it weaker over the summer.

I am not sure many in the markets really know what is going on as it is all new and does not really follow the patterns they were taught it was - like me with my shiny Economic O Level (was doing it at A level too but got bored and left).

25 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

That would be the historic norm but last time when they went up the pound fell and a while ago when it went up by 0.5% and few expected that the £ fell.
The old norms seem to have all gone out the window recently - even rate rises in the US that should make the USD stronger actually made it weaker over the summer.

I am not sure many in the markets really know what is going on as it is all new and does not really follow the patterns they were taught it was - like me with my shiny Economic O Level (was doing it at A level too but got bored and left).

I failed it at A level. Twice. No idea why I did it, never did economics O level and no interest in it, but some career advising bloke talked me into it.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I failed it at A level. Twice. No idea why I did it, never did economics O level and no interest in it, but some career advising bloke talked me into it.

I stayed on to do A levels cos that was what was expected of me - I hated it. Pure Maths, Applied Maths. Chemistry and Economics and an O Level in Politics.

All my mates had left and had money so I was stuck at home while they had fun and I never understood why it was expected that I would do it and then go to Uni....................... so I just walked out one day and got a job in a garden centre. 

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I stayed on to do A levels cos that was what was expected of me - I hated it. Pure Maths, Applied Maths. Chemistry and Economics and an O Level in Politics.

All my mates had left and had money so I was stuck at home while they had fun and I never understood why it was expected that I would do it and then go to Uni....................... so I just walked out one day and got a job in a garden centre. 

kin'ell...that is quite the A level choice. I did them, did very badly...then went on the dole. Happy days.

55 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

U.K. also had some of the worst inflation about so maybe the markets were expecting more I dunno. What i do know is if our rates were still low as some (wrongly) think is a good idea, then GBP would be in much worse shape than it is atm- not to say it’s a strong currency at the moment