news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Off topic but I just had a phonecall from a housing provider. They told me that I was top of the list for a flat I was bidding on. However they have rejected it for me as it was on the 2nd floor and apparently I am down for ground or 1st floor only. They just thought I should know. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

playing catch up. I think we need to get used to higher taxes despite what TB thinks...but they need to shift that tax burden more onto wealth.

The Tories want two things - their words, not  mine.

Low taxes like in the USA (who have poor public services)
Great public services like in Europe (who have high tax)

They want to cherry pick (see the theme there) and do not understand why it will never work.

44 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Off topic but I just had a phonecall from a housing provider. They told me that I was top of the list for a flat I was bidding on. However they have rejected it for me as it was on the 2nd floor and apparently I am down for ground or 1st floor only. They just thought I should know. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

wtf

35 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The Tories want two things - their words, not  mine.

Low taxes like in the USA (who have poor public services)
Great public services like in Europe (who have high tax)

They want to cherry pick (see the theme there) and do not understand why it will never work.

do they want great public services?

1 hour ago, Neil said:

i think opinions of him, need to be formed when considering everything he has to juggle to be sucessful , rather than the simplistic "he expelled the lefties"

It's not so much expelling the lefties that bugs me, but other stuff like his anti Just Stop Oil rhetoric.

56 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

sorry, but why the f**k would they phone you to tell you that?

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

As were the suffragettes for example.

Most groups fighting for necessary reforms are unpopular

yes, sure....but Starmer is trying to win an election, and unpopular doesn't help with that. Labour has pledged to block all new N Sea oil/gas exploration and to spend sh*t loads on net zero stuff...which has upset various Union leaders like Sharon Graham and Gary Smith....and also given Tories ammunition saying Labour in cahoots with Just Stop Oil.

3 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

No idea. I was really excited and then it was a real blow. We have bid on over 50 council places since May and I really thought this was it. Ah well mustn't grumble.

I think you have every right to grumble. I would formally complain. Don't understand why they would do that?

Hope you get somewhere soon. Must be really stressful.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

playing catch up. I think we need to get used to higher taxes despite what TB thinks...but they need to shift that tax burden more onto wealth.

wealth is difficult to tax, cos most money gets taxed at the point of transfer from one entity to another, while wealth tends to be static. it also needs valuing in order to be taxed, who is doing the valuations?

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah right wing media hate them .... think they might become more and more popular as we self destruct though 

That's to be expected though.

A bigger problem is that far too many "ordinary folks" also hate them. Yes I understand that it's frustrating/annoying etc if you can't get to work/get the kids to school/get to the shops etc.

However, if we don't do something radical very quickly then there won't be any work/schools/shops to go to or even people to go to them.

People need to start realising that this isn't a game. Just Stop Oil, ER etc aren't doing this for a laugh or because they're bored or because they're trouble makers.

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah right wing media hate them .... think they might become more and more popular as we self destruct though 

people don't like stuff which disrupts the smooth running of their lives. people like to feel they're in control of what happens to them.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

A bigger problem is that far too many "ordinary folks" also hate them. Yes I understand that it's frustrating/annoying etc if you can't get to work/get the kids to school/get to the shops etc.

However, if we don't do something radical very quickly then there won't be any work/schools/shops to go to or even people to go to them.

People need to start realising that this isn't a game. Just Stop Oil, ER etc aren't doing this for a laugh or because they're bored or because they're trouble makers.

yeah my old man made that point about missing flights for holidays .... guess that would really piss me off , and you'll likely not win those people back .... but if it stops the future destruction of the planet then it might just be worth it 

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I think being hated is part of their tactic, right? Surely they don't expect everyone to cheer at the crucible when they jump on a table throwing orange powder everywhere. They want to get noticed, and they do that very well. Whether they actually help the cause is another thing...

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think being hated is part of their tactic, right? Surely they don't expect everyone to cheer at the crucible when they jump on a table throwing orange powder everywhere. They want to get noticed, and they do that very well. Whether they actually help the cause is another thing...

well given we are talking about them and the cause it seems to