news & politics:discussion

zahidf

It does feel like when humans need to come together to sort out this climate thingy we're going to blow each other up instead.

Actually middle east was kind of improving. Saudi Arabia was talking to both Iran and Israel...but the main sticking point is always going to be Palestine, and if that doesn't get resolved then there won't be peace.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

then need to get Farage in quick smart.

Ha I saw that about claiming he’ll be Tory leader in 2026, please let that happen as it’ll be a disaster.

I see the initial government response is to basically say they will carry on with their priorities, I hope they do as it’s going so well for them. 

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I guess there are different takes of history from both sides, no doubt both sides feel hard done by....but those maps don't necessarily mean ethnic cleansing, but the change in Arab and Jewish controlled land. Jews suffered antisemitism in all regions, especially Europe and Russia, but also across middle east which is why many Jews from outside Europe arrived post 48 (and seem to be more ultra zionist); but also Palestinians have been displaced from their lands, whole villages emptied, that Nakba for Palestinians is like their holocaust, goes deep.

Edited by steviewevie

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Ha I saw that about claiming he’ll be Tory leader in 2026, please let that happen as it’ll be a disaster.

I see the initial government response is to basically say they will carry on with their priorities, I hope they do as it’s going so well for them. 

I can't see an election next spring unless things change dramatically, think they will try and hold on as long as poss in the hope things improve sufficiently for them. Jan 25 anyone?

V.Impressive results for Starmer. It looks like we've moved on from a few marginal seats deciding elections. Similar to Labour losing the red wall last time people used to vote X because their parents voted X. Nowadays people seem much more willing to chop and change parties.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I can't see an election next spring unless things change dramatically, think they will try and hold on as long as poss in the hope things improve sufficiently for them. Jan 25 anyone?

I doubt Jan 25 as no one will want to campaign over Christmas. They would be foolish to wait for the Autumn next year as people’s finances will be strained and NHS waiting lists will be rising. I think it’ll be May 24, surely?

11 minutes ago, lost said:

V.Impressive results for Starmer. It looks like we've moved on from a few marginal seats deciding elections. Similar to Labour losing the red wall last time people used to vote X because their parents voted X. Nowadays people seem much more willing to chop and change parties.

It’s simply because Labour had a change of leadership and are now electable again. I doubt the Tories lose the seats if Jihadi Jez was still running the show. 

Starmer has done a magnificent job at revitalising Labour and making them electable again. No one thought it could be done in this Parliament and at the moment it looks like it could be, there’s a long way to go yet though.

Now just for fun:

1 hour ago, lost said:

maybe...but sometimes you get a massive desire for change across all parts of the country...like in 79, like in 97.

Starmer has done a good job, he's been ruthless and done and said things that are unpopular to many on the left and probably that he isn't that comfortable with - think he's been sticking to what his advisors say, especially since Hartlepool. But he has also been lucky, Johnson's constant bullshitting, Truss recklessness crashing the economy, cost of living crisis. In the end inflation, cost of living, and sh*tty public services hit everyone everywhere and obviously people seem to trust Labour under Starmer even though he's not actually that popular.

There's issues with getting that aid into Gaza apparently...Israel worried that it will get diverted to Hamas and not civilians apparently....and also the main road on the Gaza side that trucks would come in on are knackered due to Israeli air strikes. Israel/Egypt/anyone needs to sort this out asap otherwise there's going to be a huge death toll.