news & politics:discussion

zahidf

12 hours ago, mattiloy said:

One thing that has struck me living in Sweden is that I’m just not as invested or engaged in the politics news cycle over here as I was in the uk politics/news cycle - I’ve got sort of 3/4 of a foot in the uk and 1/4 of a foot in Sweden in terms of engagement.

Today by chance I heard about a change in a law proposed by the right wing govt to reform the strandskydd law (shoreline protection law) which prevents new building within a few hundred metres of the shoreline.

Since this is something that I am really strongly against, and how I only heard about it by chance, it dawned on my how out of touch with it all I am here. And then it dawned on me how now I’m like an average Joe out of touch guy in the uk but here, if you catch my drift.

Basically, I am just grasping how difficult it is to reach most of the population. Most things wont cut through. I’m a busy dad of a 2 year old and a foreigner so I dont keep abreast of everything but I am nonetheless very interested and want to be as informed as possible. And yet important things can pass me by.

So I thought about my own job in the bank. Whenever we change our rates or terms and conditions we are obliged to directly inform our customers. Often it is at great expense as we have to send physical letters out to most.

Why should governments be any different?

Why should we have to consume basically all the news, scroll endlessly through twitter, to find out whats changing with the laws in our countries?

I think if each outgoing government had to produce a physical document describing all the changes they’d made to laws and deliver that into the postboxes of every citizen in the country well ahead of election day they wouldnt get away with half of much shite as they do.

That's a really interesting way of looking at it and something I'd never thought of. 

It would totally transform the relationship between government and country. I guess there would still be plenty of people who wouldn't engage but it would make it easier for those who want to. Problem is, governments quite like getting away with the shite they do so no one would bring in such a change

COP 28 close to being a failure. It isn't just oil companies and petrostates thwarting it, it is developing countries...when they develop rapidly they need a lot of energy...and they want certain guarantees. China and India are producing more CO2 than anyone else, but when you look at CO2 per capita N America, N Europe, Russia and Australia are right up there. The problem is poorer countries wanting what richer countries have, and the fact there's just too many people.

Edited by steviewevie

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

there. The problem is poorer countries wanting what richer countries have, and the fact there's just too many people.

Ironically the best way of saving the planet is by letting global warming do its thing and wipe out the vast majority of the human race. 

• Upvote 1

Due to the complicated politics in the middle east you would also think the petro-states are worried about different groups/sects in their countries being able to exploit any turmoil whilst these countries re-invented their economies.

10 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

This not-so-Cleverly bloke really is an appalling speaker - "Er, um, I will make progress, er, um, um".

Mind you, it must be difficult to speak clearly when you think the bill is "batshit crazy"! 

Cooper in response seems absolutely switched on 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

The problem is poorer countries wanting what richer countries have, and the fact there's just too many people.

The problem is greed. There's more than enough resources for all people to live a comfortable (not luxurious) life. We need to seriously reassess our priorities.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

The problem is greed. There's more than enough resources for all people to live a comfortable (not luxurious) life. We need to seriously reassess our priorities.

problem is most people in developed countries probably don't even think they're being greedy, they're just getting by. But poorer countries that are developing want the same things...which means building lots, which means lots of energy.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

problem is most people in developed countries probably don't even think they're being greedy, they're just getting by.

True, but no one needs a new phone/car/TV etc every year.

Our measure of "getting by" needs readjusting rapidly.

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Are people really buying this stuff every year ?  

possibly not every year but I have noticed a few puplications pin point "the Deano" as one of the key groups labour want to target at the next election.

They are apparently the children of the old industrial/manufactoring working class who have found okish jobs in the service sector such as call centre manager or estate agent. They indulge in hyper-consumerism and have therefore been hit by the higher interest rates we've had recently as everythings on credit:

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2023/08/deano-meme-housing-class-britain

Edited by lost
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

issue with this bill seems to be the wet one nation types will vote for it but won't support any amendments that take it even further outside international law, whereas the nutty erg types will vote it through only if they can amend it to take it even further outside international law.

It’s just completely bonkers … on this it seems like labours plan is robust . They are a complete rable now and all self serving while seeing out their days .