news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

@feral chile and @Neil going at each other 🙂  I miss that 😛   

Kind of like the good old days that thread, before certain posters turned up and just reposted the entre content of X and called it a debated 😄    and before covid and everyone started hating each other for having a view and wanting to have a meal out friends without being called a murderer 😛 

Could you imagine that discussion now 😛   

Me: Tony is king.  He isn't a war criminal
Labour activist 1: Put him on ignore everyone, he is being mean and trying to wind everyone up.  

Labour activist 2: yeah he is *&£*$
Labour activist 1: posts some random Labour stuff from X
Labour activist 1: posts some random Labour stuff from X

things move on ... sources change , twitter now a source used widely ( not perfect ) many newspapers behind paywalls ... 5 years time people will be complaining about a new source being used , using twitter wont be ideal for some but does provoke discussion even though maybe its not the discussion you want . personally I like anyone helping to promote discussion as thats the aim of a mod to try and get this site busy again 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

You don’t think collectively and deliberately deleting WhatsApp messages isn’t a very good job? Johnson, Hancock and Sunak all seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. Doesn’t that ring alarm bells to you?

To me it wreaks of collusion and collective obstruction of justice. How would you describe it?

Don't forget Sturgeon and other SNP figures who also deleted Whats Apps or they had auto delete on. I do think they are the side conversations that would once have taken place facr to face. Policy has always been fixed before the actual committees meet. I think Blair touched on this when he regretted the Freedom of Information laws. Some stuff stopped being written down because they didn't want it to be released later.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

things move on ... sources change , twitter now a source used widely ( not perfect ) many newspapers behind paywalls ... 5 years time people will be complaining about a new source being used , using twitter wont be ideal for some but does provoke discussion even though maybe its not the discussion you want . personally I like anyone helping to promote discussion as thats the aim of a mod to try and get this site busy again 

What happens when a poster is one driving people away from the site? Hypothetically speaking of course.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We had twitter back then and we used it more sparingly because I do believe the level of debate was higher...

The difference is...

Back then the people debating linked to the bbc to say look at this what do you think ?

Now certain users would post maybe 20 or 30 posts from X which are have a very heavy Left bias attached to a story with has been shortened down.

Example...  Gaza - Israel murdering everyone - discuss...

Example - Boris wanted your nana dead - discuss

Not perfect really means utter dogmatic propaganda.

youve said it yourself that it broke down into sweary battles .... thats not debate . Everything that gets posted from whenever will have a slant of some description ... things change . 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What happens when a poster is one driving people away from the site? Hypothetically speaking of course.

hypothetically answering you'd probably have no evidence of that . but the aim is as we've said to make the thread as pleasant as is possible and we will continue with that 

26 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

@feral chile and @Neil going at each other.  I miss that 😛   

Kind of like the good old days that thread, before certain posters turned up and just reposted the entre content of X and called it a debated.    and before covid and everyone started hating each other for having a view and wanting to have a meal out friends without being called a murderer 😛 

I miss Worm and Neil although they are both on my FB.

As have said before I didn't post for a long while as I was blind but the entire dynamic has changed.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

sh*t thread wasn't good...

The stuff before was just fine.  Its fine to get heated over hot issues.  As long as we have balance and fairness (we don't) its all good.

ok lets just sort this leftie bias issue out as it seems to come up a fair bit .... how many bans have you had ? and from how many mods ? ( if that data is too personal then fair enough you dont answer ) 

1 minute ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I miss Worm and Neil although they are both on my FB.

As have said before I didn't post for a long while as I was blind but the entire dynamic has changed.

life changes , mods change , personalities change , efests has a new owner .... lots of changes for people to embrace as things aren't going back and thatll be sad for many and there were things that I liked about life before 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

between 2005 to 2022ish (0 bans)

Since this site changed hands and all you guys became mods about 4 ?

One of them was for a really sh*t sexist joke so can't complain on that one lol 

so that and 1 more from 1 mod , one from me ( for 3 instances ) and 1 from Neil ? so all leftie bias ? 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

ok lets just sort this leftie bias issue out as it seems to come up a fair bit .... how many bans have you had ? and from how many mods ? ( if that data is too personal then fair enough you dont answer ) 

I think it raises the question of how come 1 poster can get banned yet keep coming back and repeatedly getting banned. On most forums that type of repeat behaviour wouldn't be tolerated.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

I think my viewpoints are the driver more than substance of what I am posting.

If I tell a user to f**k off you would ban me.  If a user tells me to f**k off its ok because of my view point.

So yes, I think my bans are coming because of my views.  You said yourself.  If I want to post stuff that a lot of you guys don't agree with I can expect abuse.  So if you ban me for abuse ?  What does that mean ? 

they really aren't there's people who's views are much more extreme but haven't yet had reports or received any kind of action 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think it raises the question of how come 1 poster can get banned yet keep coming back and repeatedly getting banned. On most forums that type of repeat behaviour wouldn't be tolerated.

bans are time limited and yes at the moment there isnt clarity amongst the rules as to how long . its a bit of a blunt instrument and id hope people learn a little from previous bans . There is a point where that stops and people have had permanent bans ... that might not be the point you'd like however 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

One of my bans was because I stuck up for the lady from the SNP.  I felt she had a right to her views.  That was direct ban for a view point I had.

didn't have any involvement in that so not entirely sure tbh ... the mod team now communicate via disappearing watts app so are hopefully being more consistent in approach ,

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

bans are time limited and yes at the moment there isnt clarity amongst the rules as to how long . its a bit of a blunt instrument and id hope people learn a little from previous bans . There is a point where that stops and people have had permanent bans ... that might not be the point you'd like however 

Some people do definitely learn from bans. I think there is an issue sometimes with how mods and how they exercise the rules we do have, which to be honest is something I don't think written rules will solve because if a mod doesn't want to ban someone then they won't.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Some people do definitely learn from bans. I think there is an issue sometimes with how mods and how they exercise the rules we do have, which to be honest is something I don't think written rules will solve because if a mod doesn't want to ban someone then they won't.

everyone will complain and do frequently that their own POV isnt being responded to , for example here both you and Barry both from opposite side of the divide , so maybe you dont get what you hope to sometimes and maybe Barry feels unjustly done to at others , whoever the mods are its not an exact or far from perfect science , its not easy as any mod will attest . The rules will give some clarity and hopefully will include some timelines of ban periods and an appeal process 

• Thanks 1