news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, stuie said:

So he's going for annihilation in the local elections then? 

Should be interesting. 

I still reckon May and he’ll claim he’s being brave by going ‘early’.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so looks like labour's big green investment thing depends on getting the economy growing...but where that growth comes from who knows...?

No it doesn’t. Starmer has to reiterate again in his speech he remains committed to the green policies. How many times does the guy have to confirm the same thing!?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

so looks like labour's big green investment thing depends on getting the economy growing...but where that growth comes from who knows...?

The growth will come from the house building where the Govt borrows not a lot, cos the buyers borrow and that funds the building 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

No it doesn’t. Starmer has to reiterate again in his speech he remains committed to the green policies. How many times does the guy have to confirm the same thing!?

he didn't commit to investing in green stuff if breaks fiscal rules...and unless they find a bunch of money behind the sofa there won't be much to invest.

Just now, steviewevie said:

he didn't commit to investing in green stuff if breaks fiscal rules...and unless they find a bunch of money behind the sofa there won't be much to invest.

“The money that is needed for the investment … will be subject to our fiscal rules. And that means that if the money is for borrowing … but the fiscal rules don’t allow it, then we will borrow less.”

This is the quote of what he said, it’s subject to their fiscal rules so considering it’s one of Labours key policies you’d think their fiscal rules would allow it.

He also said “There is no question of pushing back on the mission – the mission is clean power by 2030,”

Seems pretty clear to me. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

“The money that is needed for the investment … will be subject to our fiscal rules. And that means that if the money is for borrowing … but the fiscal rules don’t allow it, then we will borrow less.”

This is the quote of what he said, it’s subject to their fiscal rules so considering it’s one of Labours key policies you’d think their fiscal rules would allow it.

He also said “There is no question of pushing back on the mission – the mission is clean power by 2030,”

Seems pretty clear to me. 

Ok. I just hope the climate follows these fiscal rules too.

Ok. I just hope the climate follows these fiscal rules too.

I honestly don’t get what your issue is, nothing has changed?

We have this discussion every time there is a story like this and every time it’s nonsense. 

Nothing has changed': A year on from Theresa May's immortal words |  Politics News | Sky News

I don’t get it. So what is your issue, considering that they are still committed to the policy?

No wonder it’s so hard for Labour to win elections if this is typical of how people act when they offer big promises. 

48 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t get it. So what is your issue, considering that they are still committed to the policy?

No wonder it’s so hard for Labour to win elections if this is typical of how people act when they offer big promises. 

You say nothing has changed, but it has. The 28billion/year investment in green economy pledge has.

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You say nothing has changed, but it has. The 28billion/year investment in green economy pledge has.

That will still come in but the end of the Parliament and GB will still use clean energy by 2030 so nothing has changed. What is your issue?

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That will still come in but the end of the Parliament and GB will still use clean energy by 2030 so nothing has changed. What is your issue?

no issue really...just the whole fiscal rules thing...because the way things are the fiscal rules will be broken if they borrow a few quid.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

no issue really...just the whole fiscal rules thing...because the way things are the fiscal rules will be broken if they borrow a few quid.

Exactly, it’s a policy that will do what you want Labour to do.

Besides Starmer spoke about Labour’s fiscal rules, we don’t know what they would be yet.