news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

tick tock...

Iran has been taking the piss out of the USA just like saddam had done. They had to show Saddam who was boss. If the yanks take Iran down they could end the trouble in syria too. Except Syria would fragment without Assad.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Iran has been taking the piss out of the USA just like saddam had done. They had to show Saddam who was boss. If the yanks take Iran down they could end the trouble in syria too. Except Syria would fragment without Assad.

Are you suggesting 'showing Saddam who was boss' worked in any way? Or that that was a good template for things in the future? The mind boggles if so.

13 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Are you suggesting 'showing Saddam who was boss' worked in any way? Or that that was a good template for things in the future? The mind boggles if so.

Not suggesting that. Just thinking that the USA might decide it needs a similar response.

The unfinished bit of ww2  (Korea no peace treaty) is getting hotter again now they can fire missiles from submarines.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

I think US would want to avoid that, partly because of the mess that was the Iraq invasion. Don't think a full scale invasion of Iran is on the cards, but way things are escalating could see US bombs getting dropped on some Iranian military bases. 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I think US would want to avoid that, partly because of the mess that was the Iraq invasion. Don't think a full scale invasion of Iran is on the cards, but way things are escalating could see US bombs getting dropped on some Iranian military bases. 

i don't think rational thought is what the yanks do, iran has been winding the yanks up since 1981.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

i don't think rational thought is what the yanks do, iran has been winding the yanks up since 1981.

Ok, but US govt not full of hawkish neo cons like it was in early 2000s. Oil prices already spiking, I'm sure Biden would rather de-escalation in an election year.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Ok, but US govt not full of hawkish neo cons like it was in early 2000s. Oil prices already spiking, I'm sure Biden would rather de-escalation in an election year.

you're probably right but not acting gets him labelled as weak.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I'd say that Tories who'd normally switch to libdems are switching to reform this time. Which prolly means fewer tory seat losses than might be expected and less chance of Hung parliament.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd say that Tories who'd normally switch to libdems are switching to reform this time. Which prolly means fewer tory seat losses than might be expected and less chance of Hung parliament.

I'd say more likely they're losing votes to both lib dems and reform, each attracting different types of voter..but recently there has been a surge of switching to reform which are making the tories panic.

Normally libdems would win a fair few seats from the Tories, I'm expecting less of that next election.

Edited by Neil

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

BET NOW!

surely they'll do better than 2019.

Better than 2019 but not like in the Blair years.anything but Tory doesn't have to be libdem now.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

Why?

The interfering twats need to calm down.