news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Cracks between Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves are starting to show - New Statesman (archive.ph)

summed up nicely in the new statesman

''I know you are probably tiring of the constant speculation over whether Labour will ditch its policy to invest £28bn a year in the green economy. I assure you that this is the leader of the opposition’s fault and not the media’s.''

I've seen this run by a few publications. Difficult to tell if there is "a rift" as Starmer purposely moved to the right by getting rid of Dodds for Reeves.

So many of Reeves ex-colleages on the OBR so its no suprise the position she's taking.

So those figures from the government re Labours green policy are surprisingly made up. Will there any uproar over this, probably not. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

he's going to have to apologise.

He probably will but whenever he does it’ll be too late. He’s made a massive mistake here. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Reeves won.

Like night follows day.

This isn’t new, we’ve known for months that Labour won’t spend £28b a year. They’re not abandoning the green agenda just the yearly figure for it. 

Edited by Ozanne

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Like night follows day.

This isn’t new, we’ve know for months that Labour won’t spend £28b a year. They abandoning the green agenda just the yearly figure for it. 

well, it was never clear....now looks like will be official.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well, it was never clear....now looks like will be official.

Plenty seemed upset over something that apparently wasn’t clear but ok then. 

Edited by Ozanne

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

there will probably will be a lot more upset when announced.

Yes the faux outrage will be back. 

I don't think Starmer has handled this well...all the briefing to the press and then different ministers giving out different vibes, including Starmer. Anyway, done now. I think it's disappointing, but I guess countries finances aren't the same, and Tories were going to attack them on it and we just can't have that...but still, the pledge was symbolic...investing to grow, but now maybe they think green spending will come from growth from somewhere else...f**k knows where.

I wonder what Miliband will say. And Rayner.

Fortunately Labour remain committed to their green policies, clean energy by 2030 and home insulation etc. The Tories would rather people focus on the £28b. 

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Has it gone down appallingly across the board or just in our bubble?

Tories love them some trans bashing.

Across the board it looks like.