news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, we did...but it dragged on...and same might happen with Truss, but she seems a lot more damaged, so maybe she'll be out by lunchtime.

good comedy if she is.

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Truss won’t be given the same amount of leeway that Johnson was, partly because she’s a woman, it happened with May as well. 

MOSTLY COS SHES NOT A VOTE WINNER.

Re VAT increases; it also leaves many direct to consumer business owners with a tough call. Increase prices and risk losing business or swallow the increase to maintain existing costs for customers.

I know Joe public will be (understandably) more concerned about their own pockets. But small businesses which have already been through the grinder with Covid, increased material costs and additional complexities around import/export are going to feel the squeeze.

Then they have to let someone go, or stop paying the graphic designer, or give up on the expansion or whatever. 

But I guess this is the price we pay for sorting shit out in a way that isn’t based in cloud cuckoo land.

13 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Re VAT increases; it also leaves many direct to consumer business owners with a tough call. Increase prices and risk losing business or swallow the increase to maintain existing costs for customers.

i reckon plenty will cancell their vat registration, quids in by doing that.

42 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Hunt comes across as a grown up where as Truss and Kwarteng looked like students wanting to carry out an economic experiment. I have no doubt things will be a bit more stabile under Hunt. 

ask him if virginia bottomley is his cousin, and get lies for an answer.

cousin ginny (now in the lords) used her govt position to give hunt's dad a job, and hunt's business a fat contract, and hunt her very very safe surrey seat.

Edited by Neil

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

They'd be silly not to when their income drops below the 80k threshold!

i've got my accountant saying i should cancel mine, id only be about £50 a quarter better off. so i've not done it yet.

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

ask him if virginia bottomley is his cousin, and get lies for an answer.

cousin ginny (now in the lords) used her govt position to give hunt's dad a job, and hunt's business a fat contract, and hunt her very very safe surrey seat.

I'm no Hunt fan, he was the health secretary who believed in homeopathy! I do however accept he is slick and good at presentation. This is making him look amazing, coming in and cleaning the mess left by the kids.

I think Truss has quite a different character to Boris. He blagged his way through everything with insane confidence and arrogance, but she clearly seems out of her depth and flailing. Johnson was better able to put up a front. So I could see Truss maybe caving and resigning purely because she can't hack the pressure.

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think Truss has quite a different character to Boris. He blagged his way through everything with insane confidence and arrogance, but she clearly seems out of her depth and flailing. Johnson was better able to put up a front. So I could see Truss maybe caving and resigning purely because she can't hack the pressure.

I don't know...I actually think she might be quite thick skinned, she has been a minister for ages so might actually be a bit tougher with all the criticism than Johnson, but she will have never faced anything like this of course. Like many I'm starting to re-evaluate Johnson.

Bring Back Boris.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I don't know...I actually think she might be quite thick skinned, she has been a minister for ages so might actually be a bit tougher with all the criticism than Johnson, but she will have never faced anything like this of course. Like many I'm starting to re-evaluate Johnson.

Bring Back Boris.

Nah fuck that c**t. He can stay where he is.

I read an interesting thing the other day suggesting that, while Truss has been a minister for a while, it's a very different gig in many ways. When you face the media and public you're kind of always able to pass the buck back to the person at the top and just hold the party line. It's a bit different when you're the PM.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nah fuck that c**t. He can stay where he is.

I read an interesting thing the other day suggesting that, while Truss has been a minister for a while, it's a very different gig in many ways. When you face the media and public you're kind of always able to pass the buck back to the person at the top and just hold the party line. It's a bit different when you're the PM.

yeah, I'm sure it's massively different. Nowhere to hide (except a fridge maybe).

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Bring Back Boris.

That’s what they want you to think 😉