news & politics:discussion

zahidf

I work in benefits. The idea of means tested pensions is fine in principle. But it would take years to implement it - massive increase in workforce at the DWP, new computer systems, design of how it works, etc. Not to mention the difficulty in getting millions of pensioners having to claim benefits that they've never claimed before.

It's something a government could aspire to do in 3-4 years time maybe, but for the current crisis, the triple lock has to stay!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

You aren’t getting those measures not anytime soon to help with the CoL and besides you never started this off with that as your point you just wanted rid of the triple lock which would make the elderly poorer this winter because there isn’t another option.

Aren’t you now telling me how I think? 😉 Don’t use me as an excuse for why you haven’t posted here, I’m not that imposing!

If you feel that strongly about those other issues I look forward to seeing you comment on them here in the future. 

I haven't posted here for life reasons, but your petty arguments have been off-putting, not imposing.

You don't get to police what issues people talk about.

In the same way as Corbyn cultists don't have justification to call Starmer or Blair a Tory for having some policies that are half way steps, you shouldn't indulge in whatabouterry whenever someone makes a redistributive suggestion that isn't an exact quote from Starmer. Discussing the nuances of policies and different aspects of how to create a more equal society is part of sensible political discussion.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Can we please just ban @Ozanneat this point to at least try get an intelligent discussion on here. 

Once more he cannot let people have a different opinion to him, even a clearly left wing guy like @kaosmark2

In the last couple weeks that must have been 5 or so arguments with regulars he’s had?

I'm not going to ban him for arguing with anyone, including myself. If he tries to police the topic again I might give him a warning.

46 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I work in benefits. The idea of means tested pensions is fine in principle. But it would take years to implement it - massive increase in workforce at the DWP, new computer systems, design of how it works, etc. Not to mention the difficulty in getting millions of pensioners having to claim benefits that they've never claimed before.

It's something a government could aspire to do in 3-4 years time maybe, but for the current crisis, the triple lock has to stay!

I didn't say means tested pensions, I said means tested pensioner benefits. Why do the ones with 3 cars need free bus travel?

The long term solution, same as with most, is UBI.Y

Shorter term, you could remove the triple lock if it was used to increase the funding for discretionary housing benefit, an essential service that is absolutely on its knees, and the poorest pensioners also already should qualify for but don't get because it's too underfunded.

39 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I didn't say means tested pensions, I said means tested pensioner benefits. Why do the ones with 3 cars need free bus travel?

The long term solution, same as with most, is UBI.Y

Shorter term, you could remove the triple lock if it was used to increase the funding for discretionary housing benefit, an essential service that is absolutely on its knees, and the poorest pensioners also already should qualify for but don't get because it's too underfunded.

All these things take time, money, new computer systems, massive increase in staff. I work for 3 local councils. We can't cope with the number of discretionary housing payment claims we have now. Where are all these huge numbers of extra staff we'd need coming from? We can barely recruit people as things are now!

Also, you're expecting millions of pensioners to make claims - some of which are incapable of doing so, do not have access to computers, smartphones, etc. Some of the poorest just will not claim what they are entitled to. This is a fact - there are already 10's of thousands of pensioners who do not claim all they are entitled to - your solution would make this even worse!

I'm not saying some of these things are impossible to sort out - but it is impossible to sort them out immediately. That's why the triple lock has to stay for the time being.

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I haven't posted here for life reasons, but your petty arguments have been off-putting, not imposing.

You don't get to police what issues people talk about.

In the same way as Corbyn cultists don't have justification to call Starmer or Blair a Tory for having some policies that are half way steps, you shouldn't indulge in whatabouterry whenever someone makes a redistributive suggestion that isn't an exact quote from Starmer. Discussing the nuances of policies and different aspects of how to create a more equal society is part of sensible political discussion.

We have been discussing the issue, I’ve no idea why you’ve suddenly started going on about policing the discussion. I thought it was a civil discussion and I only said I look forward to seeing you comment more on those issue you said were also important to you. I haven’t done any policing, don’t buy into the comments from someone who’s been called out for bullying.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the pension thing...but both my parents are pretty wealthy pensioners, especially my dad, and does seem unfair that they get all the pension benefits too...but at same time I have a pretty good works pension and I am as greedy as the next person so I hope they keep it all in place.

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I expect all this is about future spending anyway, right? It's all to help with future borrowing numbers to not upset the bastard bloody bond markets.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

We have been discussing the issue, I’ve no idea why you’ve suddenly started going on about policing the discussion. I thought it was a civil discussion and I only said I look forward to seeing you comment more on those issue you said were also important to you. I haven’t done any policing, don’t buy into the comments from someone who’s been called out for bullying.

I'm sorry @Ozanne and don't want a pile-on but you absolutely do police the thread. By that I mean you're always telling people they can't comment on X if they don't comment on Y or calling them Tories for not completely supporting every Labour move. It gets exhausting. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Inflation up above 10%. Woohoo!

Ducking brilliant!! If my benefits get linked to inflation kerchiing. I might be able to afford Glasto. Looking forward to winter. If I die of cold at least I will be warm at my funeral.

Really feeling I am a burden on the state. It has been mentioned about pensioner credits and mesnd testing. Out of pride many won't but the system does not make it easy.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It was 10.1 in July, then dipped a bit in August to 9.9, now back up again in September, and apparently the September figure feeds into the benefit/pension increases...

looking forward to a 10% uplift to my pip. that'll be another taxi each week.

1 minute ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Ooh mister la Di dah ;-). (Joke btw) Itried for pip just for travel and I had a home visit and was rejected that I made eye contact and my self harm on my arms seemed old. No mention of the other stuff.

my list is: i can't feed myself, can't dress myself, can't walk, can't wash myself, so i need personal independence payments to buy services to cover those.

On the subject of PIP if anyone gets the chance to see Francesca Martinez's play All Of Us, absolutely do. Really powerful stuff. We saw it at the NT but suspect they will do screenings on TV or cinema at some point as they were filming it.

In other news, who's excited for PMQs today?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

15 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm sorry @Ozanne and don't want a pile-on but you absolutely do police the thread. By that I mean you're always telling people they can't comment on X if they don't comment on Y or calling them Tories for not completely supporting every Labour move. It gets exhausting. 

There’s little point carrying this on so I’ll say I disagree a bit with your assessment.

The policing the thread does get tiresome I agree so hopefully everyone can stop doing that. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In other news, who's excited for PMQs today?

i'm annoyed i won't be home to watch it.

10 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Ooh mister la Di dah ;-). (Joke btw) Itried for pip just for travel and I had a home visit and was rejected that I made eye contact and my self harm on my arms seemed old. No mention of the other stuff.

its annoying that pip is a cover-all, they used to do something called mobility allowance, but the DSS didn't trust the doctor assessments.

19 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Ducking brilliant!! If my benefits get linked to inflation kerchiing. I might be able to afford Glasto. Looking forward to winter. If I die of cold at least I will be warm at my funeral.

Really feeling I am a burden on the state. It has been mentioned about pensioner credits and mesnd testing. Out of pride many won't but the system does not make it easy.

Please don’t feel like that (easier said than done I know) but some of the comments you see aren’t a reflection on the wider society. I hope benefits get increased in-line with inflation!

Please reach out and talk if you feel you are struggling!