news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Covid - billions borrowed - billions printed - billions wasted...  with your blessing.

I presume you support the our efforts in regard to to Ukraine ?   It comes at a cost.

yeah i do ... thats why I offered to try and house some Ukrainian refugees ... unfortunately as a single guy that wasnt possible ... my parents have though .... again we neglect the fact that we are so much worse off than others .... and they had/ have  exactly the same issues but without the mismanagement . I gave no permission to waste money !!! paying people a  wage is not wasting money ... failed test and trace is . along with billions of pounds written off , and torys giving backhanders to mates 

Edited by Crazyfool01

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Geez. That sounds dreadful. We are all paying for the Tories mess.

without wanting to open older arguments...in terms of tax rises these don't sound too bad...

-Expect all tax thresholds [NI/IT] to be frozen

-Big increase in energy windfall tax + new tax on elec generators

-45p threshold to £125k (from £150k)

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yeah i do ... thats why I offered to try and house some Ukrainian refugees ... unfortunately as a single guy that wasnt possible ... my parents have though .... again we neglect the fact that we are so much worse off than others .... and they had/ have  exactly the same issues but without the mismanagement . I gave no permission to waste money !!! paying people is not wasting money ... failed test and trace is . along with billions of pounds written off , and torys giving backhanders to mates 

yes they spent a lot of money, but a lot of it was spent to keep people in work and businesses running. And other govts spent a lot too but are not in as much shit as us.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yes they spent a lot of money, but a lot of it was spent to keep people in work and businesses running. And other govts spent a lot too but are not in as much shit as us.

70 billion on furlough I was just looking ( source bbc ) ... important to have jobs to return to after the pandemic otherwise no income tax for govt and costs for unemployed 

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

without wanting to open older arguments...in terms of tax rises these don't sound too bad...

-Expect all tax thresholds [NI/IT] to be frozen

-Big increase in energy windfall tax + new tax on elec generators

-45p threshold to £125k (from £150k)

It’s still tax rises we weren’t getting before Truss’ mini-budget.

Lets see the small print on the windfall tax, as the current one let’s firms get away with paying nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Or we could of just let people go to work.  Public enquiry is likely to find lockdowns had little impact.  If you was still reading covid stuff you would realise the view pont on them are now very much of that view point.

yeah why not kill off a few more people ... with already 200,000 dead . whats a few more lives !!! 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Reality is everyone died who was going to die.  Was arrogant to think we could stop it.

a mate lost his dad early 60s ... he wasnt going to die for a good while  .... please fuck off with that bullshit 

Edited by Crazyfool01

Under 50’s in good health were at no greater risk than your average flu season. Obviously there is a lot of grey area between forcing oldies out at knife point to mingle and stealing young peoples best years and education. 

31 minutes ago, lost said:

Under 50’s in good health were at no greater risk than your average flu season. Obviously there is a lot of grey area between forcing oldies out at knife point to mingle and stealing young peoples best years and education. 

Yes and I think that was maybe the plan initially, but they scrapped it when realised wouldn't work.

Agree about the education thing personally, they should have kept schools open somehow... although my kid was made up.

7 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

How are you defining wealth ?  CGT ? 

Just to answer the question, I know thread has moved on.

A wealth tax is a tax on an entity's holdings of assets. This includes the total value of personal assets, including cash, bank deposits, real estate, assets in insurance and pension plans, ownership of unincorporated businesses, financial securities, and personal trusts.

That can be one definition,  obviously that can be sliced up different ways of course. 

Edited by fred quimby

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Or we could of just let people go to work.  Public enquiry is likely to find lockdowns had little impact.  If you was still reading covid stuff you would realise the view pont on them is now very much of that view point.

Were you not massively in favour of lockdowns in the beginning before the Vaccine.  You of course have the right to change your mind and now think there were a waste of time, but that does not alter the fact that you were happy with this. 

sorry if I got the wrong person, but sure I was agreeing with you at the time.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I presume you support our efforts in regard to to Ukraine ?   It comes at a cost.

I reckon we should do the windfall tax on the energy companies, earning money of the back of  Putins invasion. And use that to support Ukraine. We have committed to £2bn , from memory. Use those Putins profits to try and fuck him over.