Download 2023

7 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

That sounds about right in my head. Third down when they last came in 2016, weren't they?

Yeah and they were originally booked to headline the second stage in 2020. They’ve not really grown at all but they’re the kind of legacy band that I don’t think many would think are out of place subbing. It’s why I think Clutch will likely be third down that day; they always play the same sized tours (always in December, it seems) but they’re a tried and tested favourite who will pull a good crowd so, again, I don’t think they would stand out to most people as a band that aren’t ‘big enough’ to play such a slot. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Yeah and they were originally booked to headline the second stage in 2020. They’ve not really grown at all but they’re the kind of legacy band that I don’t think many would think are out of place subbing. It’s why I think Clutch will likely be third down that day; they always play the same sized tours (always in December, it seems) but they’re a tried and tested favourite who will pull a good crowd so, again, I don’t think they would stand out to most people as a band that aren’t ‘big enough’ to play such a slot. 

Kind of a spread-the-love scenario, in a way. I do wonder if Clutch could be one of those bands who end up at sub-level by default down the line.

9 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Kind of a spread-the-love scenario, in a way. I do wonder if Clutch could be one of those bands who end up at sub-level by default down the line.

I doubt it. They’re a great band and a Download favourite but I don’t think they quite have the commercial success to warrant being a sub. Third is probably pushing it a bit tbh but again, doubt it’ll raise any eyebrows.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I doubt it. They’re a great band and a Download favourite but I don’t think they quite have the commercial success to warrant being a sub. Third is probably pushing it a bit tbh but again, doubt it’ll raise any eyebrows.

It still fascinates me what this festival will look like in a decade.

10 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

RE: the possibility of them adding some big/sub level bands, the moment they announced that this would be a four day thing I kind of expected that they’d cut a corner here and there by bumping up a couple of acts, and it seems like that’s probably what’s happened with Disturbed. Maybe there’s a chance somebody gets added - that’d be ace, especially somebody like Limp Bizkit - but I think Disturbed could easily just pass as a sub without many people batting an eye. 

I'm saying more third down being Lamb Of God, Gojira, Limp Bizkit kinda level. In fact would not be surprised at all if all 3 are added, again Download have deliberately avoided telling us band placements and I'd say Fri, Sat and Sun are all missing their 3rd down on Main bands. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

It still fascinates me what this festival will look like in a decade.

Yup, with very few bands rising up the ranks these days in the way they were in the 00’s and a handful of Download headliners either retiring or closing in on it, ten years from now is a real question mark when it comes to the festival, or at least it’s top line. 

45 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I'm saying more third down being Lamb Of God, Gojira, Limp Bizkit kinda level. In fact would not be surprised at all if all 3 are added, again Download have deliberately avoided telling us band placements and I'd say Fri, Sat and Sun are all missing their 3rd down on Main bands. 

All three would amplify the lineup quite a bit for me so hope you’re right on that one. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yup, with very few bands rising up the ranks these days in the way they were in the 00’s and a handful of Download headliners either retiring or closing in on it, ten years from now is a real question mark when it comes to the festival, or at least it’s top line. 

Will be fascinated to see if there is a metamorphosis required in genres filled or if there can be a more concentrated effort to stand up players lower down the bill.

14 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

As far as I'm aware they have deliberately avoided specifying who is playing what stage so far. And as I pointed out Behemoth are bolded whereas first poster they were non-logo. Saturday sub as Disturbed sure but can see third down being Lamb Of God and third down Fri or Sun being Gojira or another 'big name'. Thursday I think Jinjer are probably main stage 4th and Perturbator headlining 4th but that leaves room for a decent sized 2nd stage sub. 

Hatebeed, Coheed, Ice Nine Kills all same text size as Behemoth, who first poster says are not a logo band. Ergo all these guesses trying to fit them into logo slots may be missing the mark. Wouldn't be surprised if Clutch are also just main stage slots and not logo. It actually looks like we are missing alot of main stage bands 

Yeah I think the point about bigger names 4th down on each day is about right, but even so there's just no room on Fri or Sun for Gojira at this point. I Prevail are big, they've completely sold out 6 academies and a 12.5k arena, I'd be quite shocked if they weren't third on main. On Friday you could argue Pendulum on Avalanche but I think they've got third main locked down.

When you put them all down on paper we're mostly missing Thursday but we already know that's a half-day so I don't expect to see much else there either

6 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Yeah I think the point about bigger names 4th down on each day is about right, but even so there's just no room on Fri or Sun for Gojira at this point. I Prevail are big, they've completely sold out 6 academies and a 12.5k arena, I'd be quite shocked if they weren't third on main. On Friday you could argue Pendulum on Avalanche but I think they've got third main locked down.

When you put them all down on paper we're mostly missing Thursday but we already know that's a half-day so I don't expect to see much else there either

We haven't ruled out dual mainstage yet and I think it's starting to really look that way.

I still think Friday we see Pendulum in Avalanche, and Sunday we see I Prevail sub headlining 2nd or in Avalanche, but we'll see. 

Tbh it's all guesswork until next announcement...

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Confirmed no Parkway and Ghost clash, so I definitely think the top two stages could run completely alternatively. Not necessarily two main stages but they won’t clash. 

I hope this is the case, Friday especially.

Pendulum > Within Temptation > Architects > Evanescence > BMTH

Edited by beetchez

1 minute ago, Swansea93 said:

I’m sure Sean from The Blackout confirmed on his podcast that Andy has looked after them and they’ve got a good 50 minute slot.

I'm really getting the feel they are going either dual mainstage or no clashes between main and second, and giving longer slots across the weekend. 

6 minutes ago, mr_vicarious said:

Hellripper, Gaerea, White Ward, In the woods, Worm, Anaal Nathrakh, Darkthrone, Blackbraid, An abstract Illusion...

What's modern about these two? They both started in the 20th century. Also Download has always never really had a track record of booking Black Metal bands. Why are you acting all surprised now? If you want these types of act go to something like Damnation fest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_vicarious said:

Hellripper, Gaerea, White Ward, In the woods, Worm, Anaal Nathrakh, Darkthrone, Blackbraid, An abstract Illusion...

‘So much more to modern metal’ and then goes on to list nothing but extreme/black metal bands 😂

You mean:

Gaerea who are already booked for Bloodstock

Anaal Nathrakh who are already booked for Damnation

Darkthrone who don’t ever play live 

Blackbraid who are touring America all summer with Dark Funeral 

And the other bands are all very small extreme metal bands who are always more likely to play at Bloodstock, Damnation, Incineration or one of the other small extreme metal festivals that pop up each year than Download, who historically do not have much form for booking tiny black metal bands. 

Sounds to me like you need to go to a different festival. 

Edited by Andre91

Book Darkthrone! They've not played a live show in literally 27 years but Download should have booked them because I listen almost exclusively to one niche genre of music

I reiterate what I said before, Tool fans are insufferable 

Edited by BenG92