2023 Festival

TheWaters

Haven't been interested in R&L so far this year but with the addition of a few bands on this announcement it atleast had me looking. 

It's hard to get excited about bands like Scowl or Knocked Loose playing R&L when there's absolutely zero draw for people who like those bands to be there in the first place.

Hope they manage to draw decent crowds despite this! 

9 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I can’t help but feel like they can’t win here. Anything they book that the TikTok generation are into is criticised as selling out, and anything they book for the older generation is criticised as not appealing to the younger audience. Surely they’re trying to book more to appeal to other audiences after the criticism of the first announcement?

I think it may just be the slight mish mash, or at least to me that's the case.

First lineup was really not my thing and they've now added a handful of acts that I would very much like to see, but not really enough to justify the ticket price. 

Of course that's a completely personal opinion though, if it's a great lineup for someone else that's good news!

Edited by theesundayroast
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

I think it may just be the slight mish mash, or at least to me that's the case.

First lineup was really not my thing and they've now added a handful of acts that I would very much like to see, but not really enough to justify the ticket price. 

Of course that's a completely personal opinion though, if it's a great lineup for someone else that's good news!

I like this approach. Hopefully someone else to your taste gets added or you find a cheap ticket!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Completely wrong with Yungblud then it seems although his girlfriend is playing. 

Why are R&L still booking bands like Palaye Royale and Sleep Token etc. it just doesn’t suit anymore. Going to be playing to empty tents. 

Good.

Not content with releasing his own utter shit music, he then feels the need to ruin great songs by other artists.

A stain on music.

Edited by VCK
  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, theesundayroast said:

I might be completely wrong here but I think Another Love has had yet another spell in the charts thanks to TikTok which could warrant a higher slot if the festival was this coming weekend.

Come August I'm sure his positioning will look just about right once the short lived trend has died down again.

yeah sounds about right to me. sure that tent will be fine looks like he's against Declan mckenna

would be a joke on the main stage anyway

1 hour ago, Will b said:

They seem to have rly screwed up the places of a lot of acts : mother mother, Tom Odell, tv girl, Ethel cain are all wildly popular with the younger crowd and don’t really have spots thay reflect that 

I’m sure as I look more closely I’ll find more examples too

Mother Mother were big on it ages ago - will be completely fine as with ethel cain i think

TV girl is a strange one mental spotify stats but she's late on so should be ok i guess

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Ugh, I didn't need to know that he'd sullied Sublime. I can't even bring myself to click it.

It's even worse than you can imagine it to be. Brad didn't die just so this annoying whopper could do an overly polished version of his music, with him jumping around and pulling stupid faces to it. I need to listen to the original (and reprise version too) to get that out of my head.

Only redeeming thing about it is Travis Barker on drums, who was undoubtedly influenced by Sublime's music.

Edited by VCK

Really trying hard to find positives about the lineup this year, disappointing second drop, but, last year's second announcement was worse imo, and this year's would look a lot better with different subs/headliners - because otherwise there is decent mix of names and genres added, but, alongside the already rather underwhelming top names and logo acts, this is up there as one of the worst R&L lineups I've seen in some time. Do reckon with the younger crowd it will end up ageing fairly well, but personally I am more than happy to give the festival I loved a heavy swerve for Creamfields instead. Is Bakar becoming the new AJ Tracey? Back another year on the trot, with (I don't think) any new material??

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Travis Barker is the worst fucking thing in rock music these days. 

He personifies the "how do you do fellow kids?" meme.

To be fair, I liked that Nirvana tribute he and Post Malone did during lockdown. Not a fan of either's music but that was really good.

37 minutes ago, stanh said:

Really trying hard to find positives about the lineup this year, disappointing second drop, but, last year's second announcement was worse imo, and this year's would look a lot better with different subs/headliners - because otherwise there is decent mix of names and genres added, but, alongside the already rather underwhelming top names and logo acts, this is up there as one of the worst R&L lineups I've seen in some time. Do reckon with the younger crowd it will end up ageing fairly well, but personally I am more than happy to give the festival I loved a heavy swerve for Creamfields instead. Is Bakar becoming the new AJ Tracey? Back another year on the trot, with (I don't think) any new material??

Doubtful. All the headliners are probably as big as they’ll ever be or already on the way down, as are most of the main stage acts really

Who can you see realistically stepping up to be bigger from the undercard? Central Cee, Bicep, a few in the little tent will likely blow up

It’s fucking shit if we’re being honest. As discussed ad infinitum, there’s little they can do now with so much competition on the U.K. scene, no lineup has a hope in looking good compared to older ones, when it has 30% less acts on it.

Edited by Benj

22 minutes ago, VCK said:

He personifies the "how do you do fellow kids?" meme.

To be fair, I liked that Nirvana tribute he and Post Malone did during lockdown. Not a fan of either's music but that was really good.

To be fair to him, he’s worked with half the acts on the line up the last couple of years, so very much defined what many of the kids have listened too

Kennyhoopla, is probably the best single thing on the lineup

Sam Fender, Foals, You Me At Six, Sea Girls, Frank Turner, Yard Act, Knocked Loose and Meet Me @ The Altar in one day got me slightly tempted for the day but gunna steer clear this year I think

I'd be 100% there if they'd put Nothing But Thieves and Don Broco on that day too alas all spread out

18 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

TV Girl are an all-male band! 

shows what i know, i just checked their spotify. i was considering checking and was like nah i'm probably right lol

----

if ksi played i wonder if they'd serve prime at the bars

Prime Weekend ala carling in the 00s

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Benj said:

Doubtful. All the headliners are probably as big as they’ll ever be or already on the way down, as are most of the main stage acts really

Who can you see realistically stepping up to be bigger from the undercard? Central Cee, Bicep, a few in the little tent will likely blow up

It’s fucking shit if we’re being honest. As discussed ad infinitum, there’s little they can do now with so much competition on the U.K. scene, no lineup has a hope in looking good compared to older ones, when it has 30% less acts on it.

I just think the headliners are weak this year due to their extensive touring, if they hadn't have toured so much this/last year, I think those 6 would be pretty strong. But most people will have probably seen those artists already, and there isn't much/any new material to make it worth dropping £300 to see, once they are on new album tour circuits, it'd be a lot more tempting.

In terms of artists that I think will be bigger in years to come (other than subs), Clavish, K-Trap, Rina Sawayama, Mimi Webb, Sea Girls, Holly Humberstone, Inhaler, Easy Life, Hedex, Sainté, Ethel Cain, Coin and LF System. Not much of it does anything for me, but I think in years to come they will all have a decent rise.

Personally think the lineup is dire, but I reckon there is enough there to keep the average punter happy. 

Side note, don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I noticed on the website yesterday that it now states fires are banned - been a long time coming, but guess the Sunday last year has meant they've finally pushed the button on the ban.

38 minutes ago, Benj said:

To be fair to him, he’s worked with half the acts on the line up the last couple of years, so very much defined what many of the kids have listened too

Kennyhoopla, is probably the best single thing on the lineup

Yeah he's quite good. I like the Bloc Party vibe he has in some of his songs.

What I'd give for a 2000s Indie revival!

Just now, stanh said:

I just think the headliners are weak this year due to their extensive touring, if they hadn't have toured so much this/last year, I think those 6 would be pretty strong. But most people will have probably seen those artists already, and there isn't much/any new material to make it worth dropping £300 to see, once they are on new album tour circuits, it'd be a lot more tempting.

In terms of artists that I think will be bigger in years to come (other than subs), Clavish, K-Trap, Rina Sawayama, Mimi Webb, Sea Girls, Holly Humberstone, Inhaler, Easy Life, Hedex, Sainté, Ethel Cain, Coin and LF System. Not much of it does anything for me, but I think in years to come they will all have a decent rise.

Personally think the lineup is dire, but I reckon there is enough there to keep the average punter happy. 

Side note, don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I noticed on the website yesterday that it now states fires are banned - been a long time coming, but guess the Sunday last year has meant they've finally pushed the button on the ban.

Sea Girls as little/ no higher than when they last played, they prob peaked when they rammed out the big tent in 2018 or whenever it was. 

Same with Easy Life/ Inhaler, just treading water really

Havent heard much by the rest of them imagine half will be forgotten by 2026, as that’s just the way it is these days

3 minutes ago, VCK said:

Yeah he's quite good. I like the Bloc Party vibe he has in some of his songs.

What I'd give for a 2000s Indie revival!

just go to a superstruct festival 😂

3 minutes ago, Benj said:

Sea Girls as little/ no higher than when they last played, they prob peaked when they rammed out the big tent in 2018 or whenever it was. 

Same with Easy Life/ Inhaler, just treading water really

Havent heard much by the rest of them imagine half will be forgotten by 2026, as that’s just the way it is these days

Thats the way it is with all acts. Theres only 3 MSE headline slots, not everyone will get there.

Maybe instead of moaning 24/7 you should listen to some of the acts that have just been suggested to you as acts who may step up in the future.

Easy Life have definitely not hit their peak yet