2023 Festival

TheWaters

10 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I suppose it's quite clever what they've done here. Two festivals in one, one for (contextually) older crowd with the headliners, and then you jam every sub together into its own festival for the yoof. They can end their nights on Steve Lacy / Loyle Carner / Central Cee and then bugger off back to the tents. 

Yup. 

Looks great on paper, having now experienced it for two years we all know the reality…

Great for kids who have escaped their parents to get blotto in a field, while seeing 3-4 acts a day they know off TikTok. Great for this whole rock up at 6pm  

Otherwise for those who actually, you know, like music…Its a very weak festival experience. 

26 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I suppose it's quite clever what they've done here. Two festivals in one, one for (contextually) older crowd with the headliners, and then you jam every sub together into its own festival for the yoof. They can end their nights on Steve Lacy / Loyle Carner / Central Cee and then bugger off back to the tents. 

Yes. What they have done is essentially see the market for a part of Readings previous, see the market for what would have been V Festival and link them together. It's a little bit like Download booking to make a point of stopping the idea of a V Fest return close to Reading taking numbers. As right now, V Festival would sell as well as it ever has.

The people complaining about the lack of rap, go to Wireless, that is what it is there for.

4 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

either you're 100% right, either you just guess. Everyone now knows you just guess.

How? Things at festivals change all the time, look at Green Day supposedly pulling out. I just give the info as I get it, if it's right it's great, if it's wrong who cares? It's better than nothing, and pretty much everything has been right so far.

Nobody could have guessed Polo G out of all people subbing last year though lol. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey
  • Like 1

Just now, WhoOdyssey said:

How? Things at festivals change all the time, look at Green Day supposedly pulling out.

Nobody could have guessed Polo G out of all people subbing last year lol. 

All the other leakers ( the true ones you know ^^) have all right, or at least 99% over the years ( rock werchter forum, Sziget forum, hellfest forum but somewhere else, ...)

And you, happy to have 3 of the 6 headliners, sayin you now things... come on dude.

2 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

All the other leakers ( the true ones you know ^^) have all right, or at least 99% over the years ( rock werchter forum, Sziget forum, hellfest forum but somewhere else, ...)

And you, happy to have 3 of the 6 headliners, sayin you now things... come on dude.

Yeah I'm not a 'proper' leaker my dude, I pass the info I get from someone else. If I was actually in the know myself, everything would be 100% correct.

I got all 6 headliners correct for 2021, care to explain how that could have been a guess?

Edited by WhoOdyssey

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yes. What they have done is essentially see the market for a part of Readings previous, see the market for what would have been V Festival and link them together. It's a little bit like Download booking to make a point of stopping the idea of a V Fest return close to Reading taking numbers. As right now, V Festival would sell as well as it ever has.

The people complaining about the lack of rap, go to Wireless, that is what it is there for.

We’ve come full circle from rap fans telling people complaining about lack of rock to go to Download haha.

11 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

We’ve come full circle from rap fans telling people complaining about lack of rock to go to Download haha.

I don't think rock fand should just go to Download. Hell, I'd rather Download didn't cater for me at all so I'd not have to entertain giving him money.

I do however think that there is festivals that directly represent a certain genre for an audience and crowd and that is what it is there for.

I'm not bothered generally about seeing rap represented at Reading. I like Eminem but he was the big one while growing up, for me he's done it better than anyone else. I am fully aware hip hop has been represented for a long time at Reading but the genres are different.

I didn't mind V Festival bits, I wasn't keen on the crowds but Reading capitalising on that crowd is a good move from a business point. There isn't the bands that were around in the early late 2000s to being to put a Reading Festival together like they once did.

If Reading had Becky Hill on the Saturday for next year and Yungblud under The Killers I'd have to consider getting a day ticket later on. I don't mind a bit of pop.

I mean for everyone who's asking for Dua Lipa to be at Glastonbury or predicting them for Reading, that is too asking for pop.

1 hour ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Yeah I'm not a 'proper' leaker my dude, I pass the info I get from someone else. If I was actually in the know myself, everything would be 100% correct.

I got all 6 headliners correct for 2021, care to explain how that could have been a guess?

Your info was definitely correct at the time. We had no reason to believe Foals would even be back in Europe when you first leaked their name. Same with Billie, I'm pretty sure she had nothing announced in the summer

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't think rock fand should just go to Download. Hell, I'd rather Download didn't cater for me at all so I'd not have to entertain giving him money.

I do however think that there is festivals that directly represent a certain genre for an audience and crowd and that is what it is there for.

I'm not bothered generally about seeing rap represented at Reading. I like Eminem but he was the big one while growing up, for me he's done it better than anyone else. I am fully aware hip hop has been represented for a long time at Reading but the genres are different.

I didn't mind V Festival bits, I wasn't keen on the crowds but Reading capitalising on that crowd is a good move from a business point. There isn't the bands that were around in the early late 2000s to being to put a Reading Festival together like they once did.

If Reading had Becky Hill on the Saturday for next year and Yungblud under The Killers I'd have to consider getting a day ticket later on. I don't mind a bit of pop.

I mean for everyone who's asking for Dua Lipa to be at Glastonbury or predicting them for Reading, that is too asking for pop.

The beauty of Reading for me was that it always had a bit of everything

Yup the download line up looks good but I don’t want that ALL DAY for 3 days. 

I want a bit of Baby Queen or Slow Thai to mix it up. 

And I know I’m very much beating a long dead horse but the problem now isn’t necessarily who’s being booked, it’s just there’s not enough choice on the day itself, for those who don’t want to see Slowthai and THEN central Cee. 

As a non dance or rap person, I used to have 3 other choices. I now have one. It’s a huge devaluation whichever way you look at it, one not slightly leveled out by having Imagine Dragons on the bill when they otherwise not be 🤣

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

If I were in the USA I’d be heading to Shaky Knees over this. Class lineup!

Ta, never heard of it before but looks like a decent line up

will see if I can persuade any of my normal Reading goers to make the trip the other way this year!

1 hour ago, Benj said:

The beauty of Reading for me was that it always had a bit of everything

Yup the download line up looks good but I don’t want that ALL DAY for 3 days. 

I want a bit of Baby Queen or Slow Thai to mix it up. 

And I know I’m very much beating a long dead horse but the problem now isn’t necessarily who’s being booked, it’s just there’s not enough choice on the day itself, for those who don’t want to see Slowthai and THEN central Cee. 

As a non dance or rap person, I used to have 3 other choices. I now have one. It’s a huge devaluation whichever way you look at it, one not slightly leveled out by having Imagine Dragons on the bill when they otherwise not be 🤣

Agree. They've booked the wrong format for acts they book.

The thing with Download is though you don't go to it if you don't want primarily rock/metal. They have the avalanche though it's a poor mans SD usually.

Had I not seen the killers this year I may go. But I'm actually looking at the Creamfields resale. It's been a few years. I'm trying for tomorrowland next year too

Would work a lot better in the old format

Friday

Main: Sam Fender/Foals - Loyle Carner - Wet Leg

R1: Bicep - Trippie Redd

Saturday

Main: The Killers - Capaldi - Nothing But Thieves

R1: Central Cee - Slowthai

Sunday

Main: Billie Eilish - Imagine Dragons - Steve Lacy

R1: Becky Hill - Declan McKenna

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Such a shame this line up is really awful, neither the rock or rap fans seem happy, it's just the Billie Eilish stans praising it 😂 Looks like Download and maybe Truck for me this year! Just doesn't seem like they actually care about booking this anymore, just secure in the knowledge that'll sell out as it's just after GCSE/A-Level results! 

4 hours ago, wro_lap said:

Love or loathe the lineup, Bicep subbing MSW when they realistically would've been headlining the tent doesn't do the new format any favours

Completely agree.

It’s funny how much this lineup suits the NME.