2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 1/10/2023 at 3:57 PM, Benj said:

My local festival has just announced its lineup and has me pining for Reading after all!

It doesn’t get much less inspired than this - 

image.thumb.png.3b53843bd7f635e6307e1c3cc0fbf7fb.png

If you had an 1 MS festival with this spread around, it would sell like wild fire.

MS - Paramore | Foo Fighters | Queens of the Stone Age

R1 - Declan Mckenna | The Lumineers | Nial Horan

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Q-Tip, Alanis Morrisette all to play somewhere in the undercard MS

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

If you had an 1 MS festival with this spread around, it would sell like wild fire.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Q-Tip, Alanis Morrisette all to play somewhere in the undercard MS

‘Like wildfire’. Sure…

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

yeah in 2010 maybe😂

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gfa said:

yeah in 2010 maybe😂

Interesting shout this that brings up an interesting question. Who capable of realistically headlining in 1998 would've still headlined in 2010?

Blur? Oasis? Stone Roses, The Verve...  Pulp

Amazing how many more 'legacy' bands there are now. A sign that therese been loads of great bands since 1998, or that theres not many great bands about now?

In 1998 there wouldve been pretty much zero bands about then who wouldve still headlined in 98? U2 maybe, although way too big to play Reading even then....

Edited by Benj

On 1/16/2023 at 1:39 AM, Benj said:

Amazing how many more 'legacy' bands there are now. A sign that therese been loads of great bands since 1998, or that theres not many great bands about now?

Bit of both? Could equally be a consequence of changing sonic terrain though, given it's felt generally harder for rock bands of any stripe to have bona-fide mega hits in the last 12 years or so than it did in the 12 years before. A few have snuck through, but often with songs that would've been considered pop in the late 90's/early 00's imo.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:39 AM, Benj said:

Interesting shout this that brings up an interesting question. Who capable of realistically headlining in 1998 would've still headlined in 2010?

Blur? Oasis? Stone Roses, The Verve...  Pulp

In 1998 there wouldve been pretty much zero bands about then who wouldve still headlined in 98? U2 maybe, although way too big to play Reading even then....

In 2005-10 the legacy acts were more metal acts, now its your RHCP, britpop etc i think (quite roughly)

The genre of the legacy acts has shifted i guess is what i'm saying

18 minutes ago, gfa said:

In 2005-10 the legacy acts were more metal acts, now its your RHCP, britpop etc i think (quite roughly)

The genre of the legacy acts has shifted i guess is what i'm saying

Would you define stuff that first emerged in 2000-09 as a bit of a legacy act now or are we not quite there yet?

I think its simpler than that.

Rose tinted glasses.

A lot of the older bands were never considered big legacy acts until they get featured on "Ultimate Rock" compilation CDs, or find their song in a GTA or Tony Hawks Pro Skater video game.

In 10 years, it will be Muse, Biffy Clyro, Kasabian as the legacy acts. 

In 20 years it will be BMTH, Blossoms, Yungblud.

The 30 year olds in 10 years like GFA will look at Muse being booked in the same way we look at Foo Fighters being booked.

My son will be born in April, his idea of legacy bands will be the ones that are coming out around now - will that pool be a stumbling Slowthai, a 60 year old Wet Leg singing about Chaise Lounges, Nothing But Thieves?

Edited by Chad888

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Would you define stuff that first emerged in 2000-09 as a bit of a legacy act now or are we not quite there yet?

Not sure. AM definitely aren't yet, Killers nearly there. Not sure about say The Strokes, they are 01 but their sound has held up well vs a lot of other acts.

Muse are already I think, definitely by the next time they play I think

Foos started pretty much the same time as Muse did

32 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I think its simpler than that.

Rose tinted glasses.

A lot of the older bands were never considered big legacy acts until they get featured on "Ultimate Rock" compilation CDs, or find their song in a GTA or Tony Hawks Pro Skater video game.

In 20 years it will be BMTH, Blossoms, Yungblud.

The 30 year olds in 10 years like GFA will look at Muse being booked in the same way we look at Foo Fighters being booked.

My son will be born in April, his idea of legacy bands will be the ones that are coming out around now - will that pool be a stumbling Slowthai, a 60 year old Wet Leg singing about Chaise Lounges, Nothing But Thieves?

Muse and Foos started pretty similar times, i think Muse are already legacy to be honest. Some of their new stuff is unlistenable (particularly on Simulation Theory)

BMTH are in the top pool - not with blossoms and yungblud as well 😂

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Would class them as legacy acts already really

Bands who peddle past glories far more than the interest any new material gets

21 hours ago, Benj said:

Would class them as legacy acts already really

Bands who peddle past glories far more than the interest any new material gets

Following on from my post then, I think Legacy acts are the ones we have fond memories from our childhoods.

Green Day, Gorillaz and Eminem were the 3 biggest acts when I was in primary school.

Foo Fighters and Oasis were those dad rock bands that your dad always had on, that you just associated with 'proper music'.

Rage Against the Machine was the soundtrack to the video games I played.

Red Hot Chili Peppers were the band that my cool uncle introduced me to at the start of secondary school.

Fallout Boy, Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian were the biggest acts when I started hanging out at those youth clubs in year 10/11.

Biffy Clyro, Queens of the Stone Age, Linkin Park was my college years.

Kanye West and Jay Z were the soundtrack to my university years, and Drake etc when I got out. 

To me, they are acts I'd class as legacy or huge name acts. 

23 hours ago, gfa said:

Not sure. AM definitely aren't yet, Killers nearly there. Not sure about say The Strokes, they are 01 but their sound has held up well vs a lot of other acts.

Muse are already I think, definitely by the next time they play I think

23 hours ago, gfa said:

Foos started pretty much the same time as Muse did

Muse and Foos started pretty similar times, i think Muse are already legacy to be honest. Some of their new stuff is unlistenable (particularly on Simulation Theory)

BMTH are in the top pool - not with blossoms and yungblud as well 😂

I wouldn't class Simulation Theory as unlistenable, but that's my opinion ha. But given Muse have been headlining festivals in Europe since 2004, they most likely are seen by many now as being a bit more old hat than even, say, ten years ago. And I say this as a big fan who is still planning to catch a show or two this summer.

Foos were similar but Grohl was older and they were already doing arenas when Muse broke through - indeed, I remember reading of a tour in 2000 with RHCP/Foos as co-headliners with Muse opening at a dozen or show gigs. A trio that would probably cost a fuck-ton to book on the same day now, if indeed they'd agree to it.

I'd say if they were headlining these kind of events ten years ago, they probably count as legacy by now. AM seem to defy it given something in their catalogue still seems to connect with newer generations (505 and I Wanna Be Yours are apparently big on TikTok), but the majority would count. Even moreso the further back ya go.

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I wouldn't class Simulation Theory as unlistenable, but that's my opinion ha. But given Muse have been headlining festivals in Europe since 2004, they most likely are seen by many now as being a bit more old hat than even, say, ten years ago. And I say this as a big fan who is still planning to catch a show or two this summer.

Some of the songs on it are fine but a few are horrific. Break it to me hurts my ears and Propaganda isn't great either

I do quite like them as well, saw them in 2019 and would happily see again

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Some of the songs on it are fine but a few are horrific. Break it to me hurts my ears and Propaganda isn't great either

I do quite like them as well, saw them in 2019 and would happily see again

Interesting. Propaganda is a bit WTF so can see why that would be a turn-off but I think Break It To Me is one of the best on the album, if much better live with a few layers missing. I didn't care for Get Up and Fight, Dig Down was better as a piano song than as a Madness repeat, and Thought Contagion is fine but I'd have chosen Dark Side instead for the 2022 tour.

But hey. Music is subjective and we can't share all the same opinions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

But given Muse have been headlining festivals in Europe since 2004, they most likely are seen by many now as being a bit more old hat than even, say, ten years ago. And I say this as a big fan who is still planning to catch a show or two this summer.

Foos were similar but Grohl was older and they were already doing arenas when Muse broke through - indeed, I remember reading of a tour in 2000 with RHCP/Foos as co-headliners with Muse opening at a dozen or show gigs. A trio that would probably cost a fuck-ton to book on the same day now, if indeed they'd agree to it.

I'd say if they were headlining these kind of events ten years ago, they probably count as legacy by now. AM seem to defy it given something in their catalogue still seems to connect with newer generations (505 and I Wanna Be Yours are apparently big on TikTok), but the majority would count. Even moreso the further back ya go.

The difference for me personally, Muse aren't a huge household name. In 2017, I went to R&L at 26, I had never heard of Muse. My exposure to music at that point (that wasn't in nightclubs) had been the charts, 4music, MTV, Hollywood tv show playlists, Friday evening youth clubs, what people would have downloaded on to their phones playlist, Limewire.

I'd class myself in the 95% of music listeners who only knew the latest California rock like RHCP and Foos, or the British indie that charts like Arctics.

Muse are just an "old band" rather than legacy, which I'd define as one that the majority of people after their time would still turn up to see them because they're "legendary". And I'd class Foos and RHCP as legendary because they are one of the first bands 'normies' would say when asked to name Rock bands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Via someone else, Aphex Twin is in for Field Day 2022 in London the weekend prior. There's my LNR day ticket money. 

Another example of the competition slowly throttling Reading to death…

Hard to imagine the next announcements won’t be a complete and utter, embarrassing, damp squib

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Must be a troll account

i'm sure all the 16 year olds will be lapping up aphex twin at field day!

That’s the point. People like him would’ve had slots that would’ve been appreciated in the old days as their was a wide demographic of attendees and more importantly actual slots you could put them in

obv the likes of him can’t play now as he’s not big on Tiktok and there is no where to fit him on the bill

Or maybe they could still squeeze him in on the main at 2:30pm

Festival is dead. Party in the cowfield is GO!

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Aphex Twin means fuck all to Reading goers these days.

Yup, as there’s been no reason for people who like that kind of thing to go any more since 2016ish

Long dead are the days of big Niche acts playing. If you ain’t got 30,000,000 TikTok impressions you ain’t getting one of the 13 daily slots

RIP festival 🥲 Hello TikTokpalooza

Edited by Benj

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup, as there’s been no reason for people who like that kind of thing to go any more since 2016ish

Long dead are the days of big Niche acts playing. If you ain’t got 30,000,000 TikTok impressions you ain’t getting one of the 13 daily slots

RIP festival 🥲 Hello TikTokpalooza

When I first started going as a teenager, nobody my age would have cared about Aphex Twin either so the old days you’re talking about are about 20 years ago. 

Edited by Andre91

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

When I first started going as a teenager, nobody my age would have cared about Aphex Twin either so the old days you’re talking about are about 20 years ago. 

you seem to be focussing on the individual rather than the larger nuanced point re the bookings these days…

….he still may have been booked in a slot that most teens didn’t turn up to see yet appealed to a different, niche crowd

Theres no bookings like that anymore, even the FR has the likes of Beabadobee and Girl in Red topping it when as recently as 2018 you had the likes of The Horrors, Papa Roach, Kate Nash, Hollywood undead headline small tents

Last year they couldn’t even be arsed to bill anyone at all the last night!

Yes the demographic has changed and they only want TikTok now.

The reason for that is that they stopped booking anyone else of any interest.

Edited by Benj

14 minutes ago, Benj said:

you seem to be focussing on the individual rather than the larger nuanced point re the bookings these days…

….he still may have been booked in a slot that most teens didn’t turn up to see yet appealed to a different, niche crowd

Theres no bookings like that anymore, even the FR has the likes of Beabadobee and Girl in Red topping it when as recently as 2018 you had the likes of The Horrors, Papa Roach, Kate Nash, Hollywood undead headline small tents

Last year they couldn’t even be arsed to bill anyone at all the last night!

Yes the demographic has changed and they only want TikTok now.

The reason for that is that they stopped booking anyone else of any interest.

Beabadoobee and Girl In Red who are big, popular artists? I would bet a good sum that they had more people attending their sets that Hollywood Undead and The Horrors in 2018. 

Just go to a different festival, mate. All you do is bash R&L over and over again so it’s clearly doing nothing for you.