2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Who listens to trap 😂 very 2018

That last paragraph is an awful idea - you basically said in the second paragraph why TRNSMT won't book metallica etc and then in the third paragraph told them to do it anyway. Why would TRNSMT want to spend heaps on metallica when they sell out every year booking capaldi and co

No, my second paragraph says why R&L won't book those types of acts, not TRNSMT. My point was that TRNSMT should take advantage of the rock shaped void left by R&L in recent years and start booking more rock acts that don't fit the NME/Radio 1/Dark Fruits/Soccer AM type area.

2 minutes ago, VCK said:

No, my second paragraph says why R&L won't book those types of acts, not TRNSMT. My point was that TRNSMT should take advantage of the rock shaped void left by R&L in recent years and start booking more rock acts that don't fit the NME/Radio 1/Dark Fruits/Soccer AM type area.

TRNSMT doesn't have enough people near it to support a 50k rock festival as Benj suggested above - best left to connect or places with more people nearby

TRNSMT sells out every year, why fix whats not broken!

This is the problem with Reading and Leeds. They’ll have the worst, most bland acts near the top then they’ll just sprinkle in one or two names on the undercard that would be sick at any other festival but have to play to a dead crowd. 

Turnstile would be wasted on a 2023 R&L crowd, get them for Download.

Edited by TKOCF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TKOCF said:

This is the problem with Reading and Leeds. They’ll have the worst, most bland acts near the top then they’ll just sprinkle in one or two names on the undercard that would be sick at any other festival but have to play to a dead crowd. 

Turnstile would be wasted on a 2023 R&L crowd, get them for Download.

Indeed, not really a Reading band at this point.

They’d play around 3:30pm to a half arsed crowd

Can’t sell out a lineup aimed at the kids

Cant sell a lineup strictly aimed at the MOR

Tough spot for a ~100,000 fest. Don’t see how it can keep going in it’s current format without an AM type booking. 

Imagine they thought Eilish and Fender would fill the hole this year, everyone has seen them already though…

2 hours ago, Benj said:

Last year sold out everything except Leeds RATM day. Billie will do the heavy lifting this time. It probably costs as much just to see her alone as it does for her day ticket. 

Edited by BenG92

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Cant sell a lineup strictly aimed at the MOR

Tough spot for a ~100,000 fest. Don’t see how it can keep going in it’s current format without an AM type booking. 

Imagine they thought Eilish and Fender would fill the hole this year, everyone has seen them already though…

Its still on sale for another 7 months

A festival selling out instantly just means they've spent more than they had to on bookings really

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Tbf I think there were quite a few pre-covid years where it sold out but very late in the cycle, maybe even the week of the festival itself. As long as base sales are fine, I think it'll do alright.

The line up had two extra stages on it back then…

It could obviously still sell out (I suspect it will eventually, Reading anyway), it’s clear there’s v little hype around the lineup this year though, with none of the main headliners not having already toured themselves to death over the last 24 months.

Not sure there’s much less to add that will shift tickets either, hopefully for them someone on lineup will blow up between now and May, although again with less acts, chance of that happening are obv slashed by x% too

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Its still on sale for another 7 months

A festival selling out instantly just means they've spent more than they had to on bookings really

Well they’re deffo safe on that front as things stand!

Their last tweet highlighting Becky Hill has garnered a whole 14 likes 👍🏼

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

The line up had two extra stages on it back then…

It could obviously still sell out (I suspect it will eventually, Reading anyway), it’s clear there’s v little hype around the lineup this year though, with none of the main headliners not having already toured themselves to death over the last 24 months.

Not sure there’s much less to add that will shift tickets either, hopefully for them someone on lineup will blow up between now and May, although again with less acts, chance of that happening are obv slashed by x% too

Not sure that first point matters, theres less stages but bigger acts on the ones left - thats the trade off and it clearly worked well for the first 2 years of doing it lol

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Not sure that first point matters, theres less stages but bigger acts on the ones left - thats the trade off and it clearly worked well for the first 2 years of doing it lol

Are there?

Fender>Foals>Carner with Bicep in the tent could easily have happened

Killers>Capaldi>Central Cee with Slow Thai in the tent…again more than possible

Eilish>Imagine Dragons>Steve Lacey…McKEnna in the tent…maybe a little top heavy at the very top but drops off very quickly so maybe…

It’s a fallacy there are bigger acts throughout the lineup, as soon as you drop off from those 3 sub healdiners, it’s as you were… and two of those 3 are at best co-headliners in the old days.

Theyve had two years of the COVID bump and Arctic Monkeys to sell it in the period you mention

Names sell festivals  the names so far haven’t sold it  there’s not many names to add

Lets see how it looks come August…

The fact that so many people on here aren’t bothering (indeed this place has died!) plus the complete lack of interest on social in the main suggest many have lost internet in it as a leading festival

Hopefully for them it won’t be a wet summer!

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Are there?

Fender>Foals>Carner with Bicep in the tent could easily have happened

Killers>Capaldi>Central Cee with Slow Thai in the tent…again more than possible

Eilish>Imagine Dragons>Steve Lacey…McKEnna in the tent…maybe a little top heavy at the very top but drops off very quickly so maybe…

It’s a fallacy there are bigger acts throughout the lineup, as soon as you drop off from those 3 sub healdiners, it’s as you were… and two of those 3 are at best co-headliners in the old days.

Theyve had two years of the COVID bump and Arctic Monkeys to sell it in the period you mention

Names sell festivals  the names so far haven’t sold it  there’s not many names to add

Lets see how it looks come August…

The fact that so many people on here aren’t bothering (indeed this place has died!) plus the complete lack of interest on social in the main suggest many have lost internet in it as a leading festival

Hopefully for them it won’t be a wet summer!

they've been very lucky with weather, swear its not been shit for a long time

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Apparently there was a lot of rain in the week leading up to this year's but didn't seem like there was any of the event days themselves.

I remember 2012's being a washout from friends I knew there, and seeing footage of Kasabian/Florence playing to a pretty soaked looking crowd, and indeed when I went in 2011, while it was dry on the Sunday when I went for a day trip to see Muse doing Origin of Symmetry in full, the effects of a huge downpour on the Friday were still yet to clear.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

2004 was the last year it was actually bad bad crap weather throughout

2018 the last time it shat it down properly on a day the bands were on (Sunday)

I was thinking more that nice weather and footage of people enjoying other festivals earlier in the summer will help sell reading. People swimming in mud at Glastonbury less so…

Looks like 2019 sold out of weekend tickets in early July, so they still have 5 months until we know it’s performed worse…

40 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Apparently there was a lot of rain in the week leading up to this year's but didn't seem like there was any of the event days themselves.

I remember 2012's being a washout from friends I knew there, and seeing footage of Kasabian/Florence playing to a pretty soaked looking crowd, and indeed when I went in 2011, while it was dry on the Sunday when I went for a day trip to see Muse doing Origin of Symmetry in full, the effects of a huge downpour on the Friday were still yet to clear.

Don’t remember 2012 being bad but was in the tent for the cribs when Florence was on.

Reading has been very lucky with the weather in the main over the years

LnR usually sells out much closer to the time if it does at all. It being the only place (so far) to see Billie and The Killers in England this year will do a lot of heavy lifting, bear in mind that there's an underlying theme of most festivals worldwide being underwhelming this year. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Benj said:

2004 was the last year it was actually bad bad crap weather throughout

2018 the last time it shat it down properly on a day the bands were on (Sunday)

I was thinking more that nice weather and footage of people enjoying other festivals earlier in the summer will help sell reading. People swimming in mud at Glastonbury less so…

Looks like 2019 sold out of weekend tickets in early July, so they still have 5 months until we know it’s performed worse…

2013 at Leeds is the worst weather I’ve ever experienced at any festival. It shat it down the whole time until about 7pm on the Sunday. 2016 was bad too.