2023 Festival

TheWaters

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

just go to a superstruct festival 😂

Thats the way it is with all acts. Theres only 3 MSE headline slots, not everyone will get there.

Maybe instead of moaning 24/7 you should listen to some of the acts that have just been suggested to you as acts who may step up in the future.

Easy Life have definitely not hit their peak yet

Says the man commenting about a girl who turned out to be a load of lads🤣

I will give them a whirl. As I say though half will be forgotten in 3 years time whether I like them or not!

…and EVERYONE is moaning, even Instagram is a shit show now!

Everything us doomsayers said would happen is happening, the end in nigh!

1 minute ago, Benj said:

I don't think anyone in here is trying to defend the lineup. I think we are all in a unanimous agreement that the lineup is very weak. But, as much as I'm not going, I'm sure the people who *did* like the first lineup, will certainly have enough to keep them busy for the weekend now, comments on social media are always gonna be negative - even Wireless got some negative comments when everyone has been crying out for Travis Scott and Playboi Carti. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stanh said:

Side note, don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I noticed on the website yesterday that it now states fires are banned - been a long time coming, but guess the Sunday last year has meant they've finally pushed the button on the ban.

Yup it's been up there for a good few days now, it's about time to be honest! 

4 minutes ago, stanh said:

I don't think anyone in here is trying to defend the lineup. I think we are all in a unanimous agreement that the lineup is very weak. But, as much as I'm not going, I'm sure the people who *did* like the first lineup, will certainly have enough to keep them busy for the weekend now,

As somebody that did enjoy the first lineup and this one- I can say it is undoubtly weaker than years passed and years that will follow. Whist it is weaker, once those of us that are going are there we will have a good weekend

1 minute ago, stanh said:

I don't think anyone in here is trying to defend the lineup. I think we are all in a unanimous agreement that the lineup is very weak. But, as much as I'm not going, I'm sure the people who *did* like the first lineup, will certainly have enough to keep them busy for the weekend now, comments on social media are always gonna be negative - even Wireless got some negative comments when everyone has been crying out for Travis Scott and Playboi Carti. 

Yup, the point is few liked the first line up and all the talk about big names being added was obv wishful thinking

Theres a fair bit I like and as per above I’m sure I’ll like a lot of the stuff I’ve not heard of.

The quality of who’s on the lineup is completely subjective. I’m sure there’s loads who will love it.

The objective point is there’s 30% less acts and a 1/3 less choice of who you can see at anyone time now though, therefore it is now a bad festival.

It is what it is, it won’t sell well, and it will slowly become a smaller festival over time, as it can’t sustain a 300 quid price tag with these lineups

11 minutes ago, nathanh said:

As somebody that did enjoy the first lineup and this one- I can say it is undoubtly weaker than years passed and years that will follow. Whist it is weaker, once those of us that are going are there we will have a good weekend

Yeah, I'm sure those actual going will have an alright time, even if most of that is spent in the campsite.

11 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup, the point is few liked the first line up and all the talk about big names being added was obv wishful thinking

Theres a fair bit I like and as per above I’m sure I’ll like a lot of the stuff I’ve not heard of.

The quality of who’s on the lineup is completely subjective. I’m sure there’s loads who will love it.

The objective point is there’s 30% less acts and a 1/3 less choice of who you can see at anyone time now though, therefore it is now a bad festival.

It is what it is, it won’t sell well, and it will slowly become a smaller festival over time, as it can’t sustain a 300 quid price tag with these lineups

Yeah that's fair enough, there is still a decent handful of names I rate on the lineup, just none of them being enough to spend £300 on, and to go instead of Creamfields (where currently I'd happily see every single name announced so far).

The first announcement went down very very well on TikTok, but you'd expect that with there being where the majority of the artists are popular on, dunno how many of those translate into sales, but honestly doubt it is anything substantial.

Also agree with the festival very much going down hill, maybe when/if they sack off the second 'Main Stage' and bring back the tent(s), I can't see it getting much better any time soon - unless they decide to book a belter of a lineup for 2024.

I reckon Reading may still sell out, but doubt it'll be any time soon if it does - will be baffled if it does otherwise. Sure there will be plenty of well below face value tickets in July/August.

35 minutes ago, Benj said:

Says the man commenting about a girl who turned out to be a load of lads🤣

I will give them a whirl. As I say though half will be forgotten in 3 years time whether I like them or not!

what I bolded is still the same as when you said it earlier.

I think a few weeks back someone did a comparison of how 2018 aged, which was poorly received at the time and it looked fine in the end

12 minutes ago, gfa said:

what I bolded is still the same as when you said it earlier.

I think a few weeks back someone did a comparison of how 2018 aged, which was poorly received at the time and it looked fine in the end

2018 still looks a bit shit and then imagine it with 30% less acts on it and two less stages…

Edited by Benj

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

I never said it looked good nor did i say i like the new setup ffs

I’m not sure why you spend so much time trying to defend it then🤣

Its just terrible vfm now, dunno why waste your energy trying to make out otherwise?

46 minutes ago, Benj said:

2018 still looks a bit shit and then imagine it with 30% less acts on it and two less stages…

Imo 2018 has aged like fine wine... Travis Scott, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, J Hus, Wizkid, Playboi Carti, Ghetts, Headie One, A Boogie, Lizzo, Easy Life, BROCKHAMPTON, Sam Fender, Bicep... If that was booked now in 2023, that'd be a very very very quick sellout, both sites.

34 minutes ago, stanh said:

Imo 2018 has aged like fine wine... Travis Scott, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, J Hus, Wizkid, Playboi Carti, Ghetts, Headie One, A Boogie, Lizzo, Easy Life, BROCKHAMPTON, Sam Fender, Bicep... If that was booked now in 2023, that'd be a very very very quick sellout, both sites.

Yup, some decent names that have grown, subjective obv but I much preferred 2019

As an exercise in comparing what 2018 would look like these days, on a very simple 'cut off the bottom acts*' the comparison between now and then would look like this. Brockhamption and Carti dont make it

Imagine if they they chose not to book Post Malone or Fender for say Waterparks and Husky Loops! That is exactly why its bad now.

I didn't realise they had cut so many acts on the 1 Xtra and BBC Introducing too. Its mad how much they just sliced off while putting up the cost!

*bar the FR on teh Saturday night as they didnt bother giving us headliners then so I just cut off the top!

reading2018.png

reading2018cut.png

Edited by Benj

54 minutes ago, stanh said:

I always find this argument odd; not looking to pick a fault with it but it stands to reason that 5 years ago those bands are smaller and therefore they can book them all in one weekend. Would cost about £500 a ticket if they booked them all in one weekend now as you’ve got about 7 MSE headliners named there.

From a purely subjective point of view 2018 Leeds is the very end of what Leeds used to be in my eyes. One of the worst line ups I’ve ever seen in my 10+ years of going to festivals. (But, that’s just cos it wouldn’t be my thing)

1 minute ago, 49Lawson said:

I always find this argument odd; not looking to pick a fault with it but it stands to reason that 5 years ago those bands are smaller and therefore they can book them all in one weekend. Would cost about £500 a ticket if they booked them all in one weekend now as you’ve got about 7 MSE headliners named there.

From a purely subjective point of view 2018 Leeds is the very end of what Leeds used to be in my eyes. One of the worst line ups I’ve ever seen in my 10+ years of going to festivals. (But, that’s just cos it wouldn’t be my thing)

I wasn't trying to say about that lineup being booked now, I was just disagreeing with the point that 2018 still looks like a shit lineup today, which imo it clearly doesn't. Personally, I really enjoyed 2018, just thought Fall Out Boy and Kings of Leon were very meh bookings, thought the same about Panic! At The Disco, but tbh I thought it was a great performance.

Personally I think after 2019 is really where I noticed the decline, 2019 was amazing, 2021 was decent, 2022 wasn't great, 2023 I'm not going - I've found myself spending more and more time in the campsite as the years have gone on, due to there being nothing half decent to watch, for me or my friends music tastes.

6 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

2019 was a huge improvement and what the festival should be like. Lots of artists from the new mainstream pop/rap direction it has been going in, but more than plenty there for the rock fans. Something for everyone, and a perfect balance.

1 hour ago, Benj said:

I’m not sure why you spend so much time trying to defend it then🤣

Its just terrible vfm now, dunno why waste your energy trying to make out otherwise?

The new format worked very well the last 2 years, theres always off years. Would i prefer the old setup - sure? but I think we need to give it another year until we can properly see if its gone to complete shit. Constant moaning achieves nothing

I've realised the festival has been aimed at 16-20 year olds for years and doesn't cater to me much anymore now i've grown up and instead head elsewhere, probably something you need to do 😂 Plenty of other great festivals that weekend, let alone across the entirety of summer.

Edited by gfa

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Yeah, I’m one of the 4 people who loves this year’s lineup and I must say there’s so many acts there who would really suit playing in the tent this year, if it still existed.

Bicep, Becky Hill, Arlo Parks, Inhaler, Rina, Yard Act… It’s a real shame

Theres no way becky could fit in a tent if the audience was anything like Reading 2021. Not even the R1 Tent i dont think.

3 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I was thinking maybe if she was headlining it against Billie or something? She does draw a mega crowd though, you’re right

Yeah i guess so- I mean the festival would be dumb to put two popular pop acts with a large crossover on at the same time but if we ignore that you might just about be right