Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Third gig in five days in the form of seeing Foo Fighters in Cardiff last night.

Firstly, f**k the M4. From pretty much the moment I crossed the bridge I was stuck in appalling traffic and meant I arrived in Cardiff two hours later than scheduled, missing the first support act and only catching the last 2 songs Wet Leg did. It might be that this is on me for setting off later than planned, but how was I supposed to know the M4 would be that bad.

Second, it got better as it went on. For the first 3/4 songs, all I could really hear from where I was standing was bass, drums and vocals. But when I moved forward, there was a much better balance and it all shone through a lot more clearly.

Band themselves were great.

Edited by charlierc

Went to Pearl Jam at the new CO-OP live venue in Manchester, firstly was massively impressed with the venue, easy to get to from the city centre, loads of helpful stewards, very well organised getting in and no horrible queues for toilets or bars. We were standing near the sound desk and the sound was fantastic!  Really good experience!

Pearl Jam themselves were excellent, decent set list for me, would have preferred the setlist from Dublin but that’s the gamble with Pearl Jam, they change it about so much! Overall a really  enjoyable night.

On 6/26/2024 at 2:33 PM, charlierc said:

Firstly, f**k the M4. From pretty much the moment I crossed the bridge I was stuck in appalling traffic and meant I arrived in Cardiff two hours later than scheduled, missing the first support act and only catching the last 2 songs Wet Leg did. It might be that this is on me for setting off later than planned, but how was I supposed to know the M4 would be that bad.

Driving along the M4 into Wales is always a slow process what with the speed restrictions and the fact that it goes down to 2 lanes to go through the Brynglas Tunnels. If you do this journey mid afternoon to mid evening expect delays. Factor in a big stadium event - especially a gig rather than a rugby match, then  expect significant delays. 

21 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Driving along the M4 into Wales is always a slow process what with the speed restrictions and the fact that it goes down to 2 lanes to go through the Brynglas Tunnels. If you do this journey mid afternoon to mid evening expect delays. Factor in a big stadium event - especially a gig rather than a rugby match, then  expect significant delays. 

There were something like 4 cars broken down between pretty much crossing the bridge and the western end of Newport, one of which in a serious enough place that police closed 2 lanes, which was the heart of what backed everything up.

I should've known better to expect that there'd be delays and that crossing the bridge after 3pm like I did was asking for trouble, but I feel like I really got a sh*t end of the stick by getting stuck in such hideous traffic, to the point where I think I f**ked up by not choosing to take the train instead. Even if I gather the London-Cardiff trains were also backed up due to a points failure.

It could be tbf that this is my naivety showing. I don't especially like motorway driving and in 10 years since I passed my test, this is the longest I'd driven on one. But still.

LCD Soundsystem at the Barrowlands tonight. What can I say! Easily the best I’ve ever seen them, an incredible performance! They always maintain it’s their favourite venue and my god did they bring it tonight !! Only regret is I could only get 1 ticket for the 3 nights they’re playing!

AC/DC at Wembley last night. The tour has had (at least initially) its critics; it’s only Angus and Brian left, Brian’s voice is shot etc. Based on my last time seeing him live, at the Taylor Hawkins tribute, I did fear the worse for this tour but he’s been great so far, and the new rhythm section are really tight. Great setlist, and the audience were well up for it. Apparently the Wembley shows were filmed for a future release, I’ll look forward to that.

IMG_1802.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Girls Aloud at the NEC. Seated tickets on the rear floor. Lot of anxiety as people struggled to see. Had an incredible time once we got past that. My favourite band since 2003! The train home was beautiful as we all sang along to hit after hit after hit. Some sour faces from people wearing the tour shirts from the exact show we were just at, but what can you do. Some of us were having the time of our lives.

20240618_213556.thumb.jpg.d3b97a91e2681d59f4099e720c11fe90.jpg

So we went back 2 nights later! In the pit this time, with our metal lanyard and bag. I'm not bothered about being down the front normally, but this was different. I was seeing the whites of their eyes and the twitching mouth corners of the girl(Aloud) who clearly did not like opening the show on a high platform. Did I dream Nicola pointing her mic at me as I sang? Or imagine Kimberley laughing at my dancing and singing along? I'd reached nirvana.

20240620_205413.thumb.jpg.aa42384e029e565479a82dbbc7b65227.jpg

20240620_210247.thumb.jpg.1b1a9bd4e6bc81df47bf264456f78fb9.jpg

20240620_210142(0).thumb.jpg.5d6b06e90b121d95f091457c85064a27.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great pics!

(offtopic for me to say i hate Girls Aloud and wouldnt be within a ten mile radius of them playing, but people's enthusiasm for the stuff they absolutely love is always a good thing, and your post really beams that out!) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets last night. 

Would be a great Park or Avalon headliner. Or an early Pyramid. 

They’re great fun live, and cover my favourite Floyd era. I don’t think it’d work on the Pyramid personally, playing Obscured By Clouds and Atom Heart Mother to a non-plussed audience waiting in vain for Comfortably Numb and Money. But they’d be a great Park or Acoustic headliner 

Bruce - Wembley, Thursday and Saturday.

Awesome. Simply Awesome.

i am sat back at my desk in the office today and am struck by that horrid "post glastonbury blues" feeling that sets in after you have witnessed something amazing... and then its over...

the gig on saturday marked my 57th time seeing Bruce - the four shows i went to this year - Cardiff, Sunderland, London, London - were four of the best Bruce shows i have EVER seen (Cardiff was my farouvite).

i have quite a large group of "Bruce buddies", people from all over the world, that i only ever really see at the gigs, we had a great time both days in the box park before the shows and wandering round the pit before the show finding old friends.

it was really wonderful.

back to reality now tho.

sure, i could have a moan about the setlists (and believe me we certainly did that in the pub afterwards! 🙂 ) - but f**k that, Bruce was magnificent.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, henry bear said:

They’re great fun live, and cover my favourite Floyd era. I don’t think it’d work on the Pyramid personally, playing Obscured By Clouds and Atom Heart Mother to a non-plussed audience waiting in vain for Comfortably Numb and Money. But they’d be a great Park or Acoustic headliner 

Arnold Lane, See Emily Play, Echoes, Set the Controls, Lucifer Sam, One of These Days.

Would go down great anywhere imo.

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

sure, i could have a moan about the setlists (and believe me we certainly did that in the pub afterwards! 🙂 ) - but f**k that, Bruce was magnificent.

He badly needs to shake up those setlists. Basically been the same show for 2 years. Gig drops like a stone after Nightshift if you've already seen him recently.

Was so sure the second half of the gig Saturday night would see some changes given the first half hour saw Primised Land and Hungry Heart move up the running order - and the rumour that Jungleland had been sound-checked.

But he must have just fancied an early night.

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

He badly needs to shake up those setlists. Basically been the same show for 2 years. Gig drops like a stone after Nightshift if you've already seen him recently.

i'm fine with Nightshift - its always handy to have a beer run song midway in the set!

my main issue, generally, is the fact he plays Backstreets EVERY night.

i love that song, but i am so tired of hearing it... and i would honestly think that the band would be tired of playing it!

i really thought on saturday he would swap it out for Jungleland... but nope... (Jungleland was sound checked apparently too).

on a more specific point - on thursday putting in Seeds as the second song was a dreadful choice... to me it just killed the momentum stone dead, and we had to get going again with the, truly wonderful, "my love will not..."

BUT... i'm not moaning... i LOVED the shows.

Another cracking weekend had at Latitude! Managed to cram in loads of great acts: 

Friday - Eliott Steele, Seann Walsh, Frank Turner, Waxahatchee, Desiree Burch, Fat Dog, The Vaccines, Corinne Bailey Rae, Alison Goldfrapp and Kasabian

Saturday - Myles Smith, Sam Campbell, Comedy Store Players, Flo and Joan, CMAT, Blanco White, Good Neighbours, The Mary Wallopers, Keane and London Grammar 

Sunday - Big Special, Stewart Lee, The Lottery Winners, Baby Queen, The Darkness, Picture Parlour, Rag'n'Bone Man, Ash, Nile Rodgers and Chic, Duran Duran and English Teacher 

Mary Wallopers were an absolute riot, with CMAT and Kasabian also being massive highlights too 

• Like 1

Tramlines - just went on Sunday, despite living in Sheffield I hadn’t been to it since they moved it out of the city centre.  Maybe since it was a free festival.

Saw Maximo park, Example, New Dad, a bit of human league and snow patrol, and the highlight was flash bang brass who I’d missed at Glastonbury and would definitely go see again as they were loads of fun. I bet much more fun in the dark too.. new dad I saw at Glastonbury and wanted to see again.