Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 7/28/2024 at 1:15 PM, The Nal said:

Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets last night. 

Would be a great Park or Avalon headliner. Or an early Pyramid. 

Aye, saw them a few weeks back in Brighton.  Surprised by how much I enjoyed it as I'm not a huge Floyd fan. Def would need a later set though, feel like it would be lost in an early slot in daylight with a vaguely interested crowd.

Jon Hopkins in Brighton last Thursday.  Absolutely incredible. Played a bit of new stuff at the beginning, but after that it was pretty much an hour and a half of absolute filth. Really techno-heavy set. Fantastic.

Support act Luxe was really good as well, not familiar with her before and don't know how representative the live set would be of her recorded output, but on the night it was like a venn diagram of Hopkins, Olafur Arnalds, Floating Points and London Grammar vocals. Great stuff.

15 hours ago, Pipine said:

Tramlines - just went on Sunday, despite living in Sheffield I hadn’t been to it since they moved it out of the city centre.  Maybe since it was a free festival.

Saw Maximo park, Example, New Dad, a bit of human league and snow patrol, and the highlight was flash bang brass who I’d missed at Glastonbury and would definitely go see again as they were loads of fun. I bet much more fun in the dark too.. new dad I saw at Glastonbury and wanted to see again. 

Went to the Fringe on Saturday to catch up with some of our Sheffield mates who we didn’t see thanks to a ticketless Glastonbury this year. Great setup and a smashing atmosphere. Would love something like it in Newcastle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Jon Hopkins in Brighton last Thursday.  Absolutely incredible. Played a bit of new stuff at the beginning, but after that it was pretty much an hour and a half of absolute filth. Really techno-heavy set. Fantastic.

Support act Luxe was really good as well, not familiar with her before and don't know how representative the live set would be of her recorded output, but on the night it was like a venn diagram of Hopkins, Olafur Arnalds, Floating Points and London Grammar vocals. Great stuff.

Was meant to be at the Bristol gig last Friday. Sad I missed it. Did end up at a festival for the weekend ( decided way after i bought Hopkins tickets) and had an amazing time so every cloud.

Was also looking forward to Luxe

Don't tell me he signed vinyl after

Edited by fred quimby

Not updated on here for a while but saw Janelle Monae the week after Glastonbury. She was brilliant and I thought it was such a shame that she was a victim of such terrible scheduling at Glastonbury. 

IMG_7024.jpeg

IMG_7026.jpeg

IMG_7035.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Saw Waxahatchee last Saturday at New Century Hall. Really good, new stuff sounded fantastic live. Her support Anna Saint Louis I think was also really good. 

IMG_7178.jpeg

IMG_7171.jpeg

IMG_7165.jpeg

I thought I may have seen you there! We were in the same spot as you but on the left hand side.

I thought it was interesting she played the entire Tigers Blood album, there isn’t a weak song on in. And yes, Anna was good too.

14 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Was meant to be at the Bristol gig last Friday. Sad I missed it. Did end up at a festival for the weekend ( decided way after i bought Hopkins tickets) and had an amazing time so every cloud.

Was also looking forward to Luxe

Don't tell me he signed vinyl after

Don't think so, you're safe on that one.

Really looking forward to the new album now

43 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I thought I may have seen you there! We were in the same spot as you but on the left hand side.

I thought it was interesting she played the entire Tigers Blood album, there isn’t a weak song on in. And yes, Anna was good too.

Aw should have come over and said hello. Mind you it was pretty busy so that might have been difficult. Glad you also enjoyed.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Don't think so, you're safe on that one.

Really looking forward to the new album now

Aye  have ordered it. It's his more Ambient side. Wish I'd gone and watch him play it at Glastonbury, but was obviously having fun somewhere else

Been on holiday so off work since 18/7 - first day back today.

Email in my inbox dated 19/7 offering me a ticket for Bruce Springsteen at Wembley on 25/7 with corporate hospitality.  I'm no huge fan (and was in Egypt at the time) but would have had his hand off!  Best freebie I've ever been offered and missed it.  Gutted.

On 7/30/2024 at 1:10 PM, Badlands said:

Went to the Fringe on Saturday to catch up with some of our Sheffield mates who we didn’t see thanks to a ticketless Glastonbury this year. Great setup and a smashing atmosphere. Would love something like it in Newcastle.

I’d like to do the fringe next year.. it sounds really good, like it used to be before the main festival moved out to hillsborough.  So many great venues with live music on all over the city.. it’s great fun. 

31 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I’d like to do the fringe next year.. it sounds really good, like it used to be before the main festival moved out to hillsborough.  So many great venues with live music on all over the city.. it’s great fun. 

That's the Tramlines I remember when I still lived in Sheffield. The Dog and Partridge, The Grapes, The Washington and The Green Room were always such great places to be! I only to Devonshire Green one year when I won tickets with Nokia. 😀

Ndox Electrique at Womad. French/Italian goth-punk duo with Senegalese musicians performing tribal ritualistic music. A week on I am still baffled by what I saw and heard, in a good way.

Love with Johnny Echols at the Earl Haig Club in Cardiff on Friday.  A band with a sixty year history (Echols the only original member and lead guitarist is in his late 70s) playing songs from their three classic albums.  Great harmonies and arrangements. Still a few dates on their UK tour and worth catching.

• Like 1

Sam Fender at Plymouth last night. Wow, 7th time seeing him now and probably the best yet, really coming into his own and padding his set list out, especially with the inclusion of some of his upcoming album 3 songs. An odds on favourite to headline next year and you can see why, will be a great sing along at the pyramid should it happen! 

IMG_3165.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of gig this week.

Hurray For The Riff Raff at Birkenhead Future Yard. Quality Americana focusing mainly on their latest album, which to be fair is excellent, so why wouldn't you?Superb stuff. Support from Nottingham singer/songwriter Katie Kiddie, very mellow, lovely vocals, worth a listen.

Last night was Red Rum Club at Bootle Salt and Tar. I bang on about them all the time but they are such a good live act, should be much bigger than they currently are and if Glastonbury don't book them next year I'm going to throw a hissy fit.

Support from The Farm and a few other acts who all sounded exactly as you'd expect them to. 

Peter Hooton of The Farm told a story about how they were playing a gig in Leeds and their support act dropped out. A few phone calls later and the members of Red Rum Club were asked if they could do it. The answer was obviously yes, even though that included several of them walking out on their jobs. Here we are a few years later and The Farm are supporting them.

20240814_210901.thumb.jpg.fba83088c56c5f6923c032e1efd37a15.jpg

20240815_215326.thumb.jpg.aa85aad7b39526f6cb9631b29f42f8ec.jpg

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Last night was Red Rum Club at Bootle Salt and Tar. I bang on about them all the time but they are such a good live act, should be much bigger than they currently are and if Glastonbury don't book them next year I'm going to throw a hissy fit.

Would love to see them on the farm... not sure where they'd be best placed though. Park?

Say She She at Wardrobe in Leeds on Saturday.  Were really good again.  Played all the best songs, band and vocals as tight as a drum.  Not sure the 7 minute musical interlude so the singers could do a costume change was necessary, but gave me time to get a drink.

Support was August Charles who was impressive.  Just him and a guy playing Hammond organ so really stripped back, but his voice was amazing and he's got bags and bags of charisma.  Would really recommend catching him if you get the chance.

Dance For Shaka - one year Jah Shaka commemoration at Colour Factory in Hackney yesterday.

Young Warrior Sound, Shaka Crew, Mighty Jah Observer and a bunch of other crews

I have to say, it was one of the best days I ever had in my life - the only way it could have been any better is if the Mighty Zulu Warrior himself had been there, but it sure felt like his spirit was there.

it was wonderful.

Jah Rastafari.