Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 10/3/2024 at 9:11 AM, Gnomicide said:

Battlesnake at Birkenhead Future Yard last night. Tremendous fun, unfortunately not many there but that didn't stop them putting on a great show.

Apart from the fun and frolics on and off the stage, it's really interesting how they set it up. No monitors (not unusual these days with in ear monitors) but also no amps and pedal boards etc. on stage. They were clearly playing everything live (bar a few keyboard and spoken word bits) but I was fascinated about how it works.

Anyway, still a few shows to go, highly recommended, tickets are cheap.

Screenshot_20241003_091040_Instagram.thumb.jpg.7c99e4fe84f04f94794b2c742f15d290.jpg

I saw them at Great Escape earlier in the year and they were brilliant fun! Hopefully they'll be back for the summer festival circuit next year.

1 hour ago, sfroml said:

Although it wasn't a sell out it was a really good attendance, took place in the other room. 

The other room is nice - only knock is that it doesn't have great height distribution if you're small. Saw Feeder in there earlier this year doing an acoustic launch.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OllieMadd said:

Pale Waves in Bristol yesterday. They were ok. Fairly sure she was lip syncing half the tunes too.

Have heard a few of these accusations. Remember chatting with a fellow from a major alternative music publication at R+L a few years ago, who was full of praise for the drummer and the guitarist, but felt the singer hadn't quite found the way to use tracking enhancements live in a way that enhances the performance rather than distracts from it.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Have heard a few of these accusations. Remember chatting with a fellow from a major alternative music publication at R+L a few years ago, who was full of praise for the drummer and the guitarist, but felt the singer hadn't quite found the way to use tracking enhancements live in a way that enhances the performance rather than distracts from it.

Conversely, I did see them in Sheffield in 2018 and they seemed straightforward enough there, in a pleasingly unfussy way.

Speaking of the Brudenell, saw the Jim Jones All Stars - not that Jim Jones - last night. Pretty hammer-and-tongs, to the point that its sheer volume of instrumentation didn't really hang together cleanly enough to distinguish, but I guess that was the point.

Got The Lathums, technically, on Saturday when I go down to the Super League Grand Final.

I caught Alice Cooper supported by Primal Scream last night.

Primal Scream - 6/10 - Hits were great and new songs sounded promising but ive never been much of a fan
Alice Cooper - 7/10 - Not much of a fan again (was just 'chumming' at this gig) but his stage show and theatrics were great and he had tonnes of energy too for his age. It made me think why don't they go for a rock act at Glasto in the legends slot like big Vincent?

• Upvote 1

Wunderhorse were incredible in the O2 Academy Liverpool, really feels like they are riding a big wave at the min. I've seen them twice over the last couple of months and will be lucky enough to catch them again supporting Fontaines in Amsterdam. Definitely have a 90s feel to their sound and after hearing it its no surprise their new album was recorded in the same studio as In Utero, couldn't recommend them enough, great to see a band give absolutely everything on stage.

Having now sold out an academy level UK tour, a one off show at Ally Pally booked for next May and a million monthly listeners on Spotify, what level of spot could they get if they show up at the Farm next year? I feel like they would be perfect headlining Woodsies but perhaps it is a little too soon given they only played BBC Introducing last year, think they would smash it though with certainty!

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Ben Howard at the O2 Academy Leeds last night. A very good performance, with some excellent atmospherics to feature, but the venue remains a problem when a gig is at capacity. There's going to be a crush there one day.

I was at Ben Howard at the Usher Hall on Sunday night. He was on top form and generally the sound was great. 
Bold decision to "shuffle" the album rather than just play it straight through but overall it worked well (personally I think End of the Affair should've been later but I won't complain too much).

Bonus note, I'm going to 3 gigs this month and all of them involve an album in full element. It's a virus at this point.