Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Jockstrap at Sheffield SU (Foundry) were excellent Saturday night. Incredible vocal performances, great stage presence and all round good time. Crowd were so up for it, definitely ones to watch for the future. Hope they show up Park/JP, preferably in the tent.

Another +1 for Jeppo here. Relentless assault of 24, 3-minute pop slayers. One of the biggest crowds I've seen at the O2 in Bristol. Tight band too, all having as much fun on stage as the adoring crowd in front of them. 

Really interesting support from Lewis Ofman. Daft Punk goes pop with a sprinkling of Rick Wakeman showmanship. Absolutely not what I expected when he walked out. I'm assuming he's French, his music was certainly straight out of the Ed Banger/Etienne De Crecy copybook. Definitely one to look out for

Spacey Jane at Engine rooms southampton was excellent, great live band and a good crowd there. Terrific venue - hope glasto books some of these newer aussie indie bands theres quite a few of them and they all release great 'tinnies in the sun' festival music

On 2/11/2023 at 1:48 PM, slip-slop-slap said:

Karnivool at O2 Forum Kentish Town on Thursday. Used to listen to them a bit years ago, top gig. Almost felt that the openers were louder which was a bit strange but properly enjoyed it.

Enter Shikari on their album warm up residency tour next week.

I went to this in Bristol, had tickets since before Covid. Both Karnivool and The Ocean were excellent. Sound was really good. 

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Been down ill the past few days, which definitely kiboshed the chances of Mogwai. Mates went down and said it was typically terrific though.

A nice late-night spot please, Clive.

Got them in Brighton on Friday. They're a band that completely passed me by at the time, only recently got into them and never seen them live. Looking forward to it, earplugs all ready. 

On the plus side they aren't a band where I'll stand out for not knowing the words to sing along 😄

Edited by Quark

23 minutes ago, Quark said:

Got them in Brighton on Friday. They're a band that completely passed me by at the time, only recently got into them and never seen them live. Looking forward to it, earplugs all ready. 

On the plus side they aren't a band where I'll stand out for not knowing the words to sing along 😄

You'll need those earplugs! Had an ear infection, so Mogwai would have been an... unwise choice.

Afflecks Palace supported by Pastel in Guildford at The Boileroom tonight. Both on spirit of spike island label, so you know what you're going to get; the dj before and between might as well have been at Baggy Mondays!

Pastel were ok, solid enough but not the most engaging of bands which always leaves me a bit cold. Very clearly heavy influences from Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Oasis. Not necessarily a bad thing per se, but a wee but too close to tribute for my tastes. 

Afflecks Palace are different kettle of fish. Influences are just as obvious, with a bit more Smiths and The Farm thrown in, but they put more of their own slant on it and sound all the better for it. Singer's got a great live voice, and they all sound really tight. Great to dance to.

If you don't like those 80s/early 90s Manchester sounds then you probably won't like this, but I had a blast. I'd see them again, and they're playing the 6Music festival this year so I reckon they'll start popping up in more places.

20230215_210559.jpg

20230215_214806.jpg

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Afflecks Palace supported by Pastel in Guildford at The Boileroom tonight. Both on spirit of spike island label, so you know what you're going to get; the dj before and between might as well have been at Baggy Mondays!

Pastel were ok, solid enough but not the most engaging of bands which always leaves me a bit cold. Very clearly heavy influences from Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and Oasis. Not necessarily a bad thing per se, but a wee but too close to tribute for my tastes. 

Afflecks Palace are different kettle of fish. Influences are just as obvious, with a bit more Smiths and The Farm thrown in, but they put more of their own slant on it and sound all the better for it. Singer's got a great live voice, and they all sound really tight. Great to dance to.

If you don't like those 80s/early 90s Manchester sounds then you probably won't like this, but I had a blast. I'd see them again, and they're playing the 6Music festival this year so I reckon they'll start popping up in more places.

20230215_210559.jpg

20230215_214806.jpg

Heard good things about afflecks palace. Hopefully catch them at some point in the future 

On 2/13/2023 at 7:43 PM, Quark said:

I saw them in Bath last night and they were immense, as always.

Added bonus was seeing Big Jeff there. Bloody ace to see him back out gigging. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:06 PM, dreams_burn_down said:

Sweet, can’t wait. Not seen them since 2015. 

First gig of 2023, Titus Andronicus at Moth Club. So much fun. New stuff sounded great, and there’s still few better experiences in rock n roll than hearing them blast through the classics. Oh and they whipped out their ‘Glory Days’ cover (Bruce not Pulp!) for an encore.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Kae Tempest at the Forum, Melbourne tonight. Predictably brilliant set, especially the songs from The Line Is A Curve. Their performance of These Are The Days was sensational. 

Brilliant.

Love watching Kae, the best there currently is out there.

I'd imagine they will be at Glastonbury this year.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I'd imagine they will be at Glastonbury this year.

In some capacity, I’m sure. I hope they become a Glastonbury staple. But their only new music since their last set will be an EP in April (they performed three songs from it tonight, and it sounds great). So I’m not sure there’ll be another full set but I’d be surprised if Kae didn’t pop up somewhere. 

7 minutes ago, kalifire said:

In some capacity, I’m sure. I hope they become a Glastonbury staple. But their only new music since their last set will be an EP in April (they performed three songs from it tonight, and it sounds great). So I’m not sure there’ll be another full set but I’d be surprised if Kae didn’t pop up somewhere. 

They have a tendency to do a slot on Thursday night to get tickets. That’s what they did in 2016 and admitted it on stage.