Returning Headliners

compactdisc

Seeing Skunk Anansie on the 2020 poster (all those months ago) and the debate about whether Florence and the Machine would be worthy (pun intended) of the headline slot this year has got me thinking about returning headliners who don't headline. I don't think there are any other former headliners, from the last 15-20 years at least, that would return in a lower slot - either they are still headliner level in their own right or they are unlikely to accept a lower slot.

What do people think? Are there any that you think might pop up lower down the line up in years to come?

Apart from surprise sets, I could maybe see Gorillaz coming back and headlining Other Stage or subbing the Pyramid. They're much improved as a live act and I could see Damon wanting to right the wrong of the 2010 set. Wouldn't surprise me if Kasabian popped up in their new guise, could be as soon as this year. Mumfords were down to 2020 according to some, but that might have been billed as a secret set.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big durbs said:

i deffo heard Foos , cant remember who from , but i think they were 95% and was super stacked about it 

I only mentioned it on here previously as someone else had mentioned the same thing. But Dave Grohl rang up Michael directly about playing the farm in 2021. Wouldn't count them out of a secret set this year, depending on how their dates line up.

9 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Apart from surprise sets, I could maybe see Gorillaz coming back and headlining Other Stage or subbing the Pyramid. They're much improved as a live act and I could see Damon wanting to right the wrong of the 2010 set. Wouldn't surprise me if Kasabian popped up in their new guise, could be as soon as this year. Mumfords were down to 2020 according to some, but that might have been billed as a secret set.

Good point - I guess the Killers secret set counts too.

Edited by compactdisc

Manics are the one that came to mind.

I think some artists would get hung up on their pride about playing lower down the bill after headlining. Others are just happy to get out there and play.

Personally I can't see KOL, Mumfords, Chems, Travis, Florence, Stereophonics, Rod Stewart, Moby, Basement Jaxx, Kasabian or Arcade Fire ever headlining in the future, but there would certainly be a place on the bill for them if they wanted it.

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Manics are the one that came to mind.

I think some artists would get hung up on their pride about playing lower down the bill after headlining. Others are just happy to get out there and play.

Personally I can't see KOL, Mumfords, Chems, Travis, Florence, Stereophonics, Rod Stewart, Moby, Basement Jaxx, Kasabian or Arcade Fire ever headlining in the future, but there would certainly be a place on the bill for them if they wanted it.

Agreed. I couldn't see anyone who has headlined since 2007 coming back lower down the bill - aside from @kingbadger's suggestion of Gorillaz.

Even post 2000 there aren't many I could see coming bacl. Green Day potentially as an Other Stage Headliner? Rod Stewart might be convinced to do the Legends slot (although would we want that).

57 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I only mentioned it on here previously as someone else had mentioned the same thing. But Dave Grohl rang up Michael directly about playing the farm in 2021. Wouldn't count them out of a secret set this year, depending on how their dates line up.

From memory I think their dates make them unlikely, as I was previously considering them as a likely replacement headliner.

Edit: Manchester Saturday, Birmingham Monday.

Edited by Somto Unigwe Raphael

Most headliners these days tend to be internationally established acts. Post-2007, it's only really the big domestic artists like Flo + The Machine, Kasabian, Stormzy etc I could see returning in an announced, non-Pyramid headline slot (secret sets/legend slots aside).  Gorillaz are the only one that seem to me like they have unfinished business with the festival.

It makes me wonder though how many previous headliners may soon be coming back to play the legend slot. 12 years since Stevie Wonder headlined, a Sunday afternoon set from him would be magic. Neil Young too? 

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Thought you would be all over that comment! Love to see them make a return as long as it’s not the acoustic style set we saw a few years back. 

I’d like a few more off Levelling the land .. than they played at Beautifull days .. but it’ll be good to see them back on the farm 

55 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

From memory I think their dates make them unlikely, as I was previously considering them as a likely replacement headliner.

Edit: Manchester Saturday, Birmingham Monday.

I think that doesn't rule them out. Manchester to glasto isn't too bad. Quite where they'd play I don't know but theoretically it's possible  

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think that doesn't rule them out. Manchester to glasto isn't too bad. Quite where they'd play I don't know but theoretically it's possible  

If they play I don’t think they’d be doing anything except headlining Sunday as a replacement.

2 hours ago, kingbadger said:

I'd fucking love them to do Other.  Would still be a massive stage, but have far fewer tourists turning up "because it's the main headliner".