2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 minute ago, ClementsMike said:

Theres an extra magic with someone of that ilk though, like Dolly, it's that your seeing an actual bonafide legend and you quite likely will never get that chance again.  Spice Girls? Meh, they'll be back again on a cash cow sometime ...

I don't disagree, but the list of candidates isn't endless. Now that Aretha's brown bread and Elton is headline or nothing there's only really Cher and Barry Manilow left from the God Tier candidates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

if Michael wanted Roxy Music surely there would be plenty of other slots to place them ... just cant see it myself 

Also needs to offer the band a slot they'd like

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't disagree, but the list of candidates isn't endless. Now that Aretha's brown bread and Elton is headline or nothing there's only really Cher and Barry Manilow left from the God Tier candidates.

Grace Jones, not only legendary but also good, in contrast to many of the so called legends who've played that slot.

Barry Manilow is a truly dreadful shout, but probably fits with the cheesy drunken Sunday afternoon nonsense.

Love em or hate em, Spice Girls are the epitome of what fits the bill for that modern teatime slot. Hugely popular, a (global) cultural phenomenon, with an hour-long slot bursting at the seams with chart hits. They'd pack that field out to Kylie levels with animal print catsuits and union flag dresses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waltere said:

FWIW Kylie's done that on the back of albums made up of new material, whilst Steps have one Number 1 studio album and then 3 separate versions of Greatest Hits compilations

that is true, I just used the (still impressive) feat to illustrate my point that they are still a draw 25 years on in a way most of their peers aren’t. Worth noting that there’s a lot of new material on the latter GH, not just a rehash, plus in both the tens and twenties they also had at least one number two studio album also. It’s not bad for a heritage act whose peers are JUST playing nostalgia festivals. 

Anyways there’s absolutely zero chance Steps are doing it ha, I just thought it interesting the debate of what constitutes being ‘worthy”

24 minutes ago, clarkete said:

So we know there are no rumours whatsoever about Spice, they haven't played together in aeons and they haven't been approached, but it's imperative that we discuss whether they are a possibility? 

🤔

Nah, I got told yesterday by a good source that there's some live stuff planned over the next year. No idea how extensive but it's the 25th anniversary of Spiceworld.

Edited by jannybruck

1 hour ago, Bishmaple said:

With him playing Lytham is there any chance of Sting?

Ooh yes please. Imagine the scenes when after 2/3 of a cracking set, a giant microwave oven bounds on stage followed by a couple of cheesed off blocky delivery guys. The Quiet Man of Rock strolls on from the other wing as his guitar belches out a dirty riff and the field promptly explodes with people of a certain age* totally losing their shit. Can't wait.

* Um, me I guess

Edited by Fingerbobs

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

So we know there are no rumours whatsoever about Spice, they haven't played together in aeons and they haven't been approached, but it's imperative that we discuss whether they are a possibility? 

🤔

spot on. 😛