2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Apologies if this has been covered before, but have we considered Guns n Roses for this slot? (sorry Neil!). This would seem to cover off a few of the issues...... They have the hits, it confirms the rumour that they are playing, and it frees up one of the headliner slots thereby (potentially) avoiding the all male scenario. 

25 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but have we considered Guns n Roses for this slot? (sorry Neil!). This would seem to cover off a few of the issues...... They have the hits, it confirms the rumour that they are playing, and it frees up one of the headliner slots thereby (potentially) avoiding the all male scenario. 

they're massive, they're not playing the legends slot

7 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

GnR still sell out stadiums, they’re aren’t the legend in any way shape or form in terms of profile, or suitability for a short Sunday afternoon slot. They’re headliner or nothing.

Whilst I believe it’s a bit of a stretch, the rationale of being massive, or selling out stadiums, are, to me, reasons why they ARE suitable for the slot, and actually support rather than undermine, the original post. I’m also ever so slightly put out by the complete 100% certainty behind what is, in truth, an opinion at this stage. Phrases like they’re not playing the legends slot, and they’re headliner or nothing are, in fact, only opinions yet stated as facts. I do agree that mid afternoon would seem very unlikely for an act like GnR, but not impossible. 

7 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Whilst I believe it’s a bit of a stretch, the rationale of being massive, or selling out stadiums, are, to me, reasons why they ARE suitable for the slot, and actually support rather than undermine, the original post. I’m also ever so slightly put out by the complete 100% certainty behind what is, in truth, an opinion at this stage. Phrases like they’re not playing the legends slot, and they’re headliner or nothing are, in fact, only opinions yet stated as facts. I do agree that mid afternoon would seem very unlikely for an act like GnR, but not impossible. 

Look at all the past legends, or at least the past 6/7 or so. None of them could’ve been considered as headliners, they wouldn’t have fitted any other slot other than legend, probably ELO aside they also have a plethora of easy going sing along hits perfect for a Sunday afternoon singalong, which is essentially what that slot is for, it’s not for a rock band.

If GnR can be considered suitable for the legend slot, where do you then draw the line between big famous band with hits and the legend? If GnR could be the legend, why not AM as well? 

Edited by Jose Pose

2 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Look at all the past legends, or at least the past 6/7 or so. None of them could’ve been considered as headliners, they wouldn’t have fitted any other slot other than legend, probably ELO aside they also have a plethora of east going song along hits perfect for a Sunday afternoon singalong, which is essentially what that slot of for, not a rock band.

If GnR can be considered suitable for the legend slot, where do you then draw the line between big ganoid band with hits and the legend? If GnR could be the legend, why not AM as well? 

I’d argue Kylie could have headlined. Maybe even Lionel. GnR formed in 85, AM 2002. Somewhere in that 17 years is where I’d draw the GnR / AM line. And (personal view not fact incoming) I couldn’t name a single AM song.

2 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I’d argue Kylie could have headlined. Maybe even Lionel. GnR formed in 85, AM 2002. Somewhere in that 17 years is where I’d draw the GnR / AM line. And (personal view not fact incoming) I couldn’t name a single AM song.

Lionel was doing tiny venues around his Glastonbury booking and still is. He wasn’t a headliner in any way shape or form, neither was Kylie in the present day.

If Glastonbury want to rip up what the legend slot is and just start booking stadium sized bands in that slot instead, I’d agree it could be GnR. If instead they want to vaguely stick to its current format then there is no way in a million years it’s GnR.

Edited by Jose Pose

3 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Lionel was doing tiny venues around his Glastonbury booking and still is. He wasn’t a headliner in any way shape or form, neither was Kylie in the present day.

If Glastonbury want to rip up what the legend slot is and just start booking stadium sized bands in that slot instead, I’d agree it could be GnR. If instead they want to vaguely stick to its current format then there is no way in a million years it’s GnR.

Tiny venues?

Saturday 28th February at Manchester Arena
Sunday 1st March at The O2 Arena, London
Wednesday 4th March at First Direct Arena, Leeds
Friday 6th March, The SSE Hydro, Glasgow
Saturday 7th March at The Newcastle Arena
Friday 13th March at The Echo Arena, Liverpool
Saturday 14th March at NIA, Birmingham
Monday 16th March, Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Tiny venues?

Saturday 28th February at Manchester Arena
Sunday 1st March at The O2 Arena, London
Wednesday 4th March at First Direct Arena, Leeds
Friday 6th March, The SSE Hydro, Glasgow
Saturday 7th March at The Newcastle Arena
Friday 13th March at The Echo Arena, Liverpool
Saturday 14th March at NIA, Birmingham
Monday 16th March, Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff

The full UK and Ireland tour dates are as follows:

• June 3, 2023 Belfast, Ireland, Belsonic, Ormeau Park
  • June 4, 2023 Dublin, Ireland St Annes Park
  • June 7, 2023 St Austell, Eden Sessions, Eden Project
  • June 11, 2023 Taunton, Cooper Associates County Ground, Somerset CCC
  • June 14, 2023 Woodstock, Oxford, Nocturne Live, Blenheim Palace
  • June 27, 2023 Romsey, Southampton, Broadlands
  • June 30, 2023 Chepstow, Chepstow Racecourse

Just now, Jose Pose said:

The full UK and Ireland tour dates are as follows:

• June 3, 2023 Belfast, Ireland, Belsonic, Ormeau Park
  • June 4, 2023 Dublin, Ireland St Annes Park
  • June 7, 2023 St Austell, Eden Sessions, Eden Project
  • June 11, 2023 Taunton, Cooper Associates County Ground, Somerset CCC
  • June 14, 2023 Woodstock, Oxford, Nocturne Live, Blenheim Palace
  • June 27, 2023 Romsey, Southampton, Broadlands
  • June 30, 2023 Chepstow, Chepstow Racecourse

2023. Mine were from 2015.... when he was the legend. Not sure GnR will still be performing in 8 years time.