2023 legend slot

ProperTea

1 minute ago, Super Johnny Fos said:

Sorry to go down the 80s rock sinkhole, but hasn't there been previous chat of Bon Jovi, Aerosmith and Kiss? Can see the first two doing it, would be great fun and are very Radio 2 these days. Kiss need the production so wouldn't be them imo. 

Steve Tyler is up on sex charges and Joe Perry is busy touring with Johnny Depp’s band, so no Aerosmith.

42 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cos it's a light entertainment Radio 2 sort of slot.

But they should roll out the red carpet for her somewhere else, on the Pyramid or otherwise.

Keep fighting the good fight Calgon!

Though I am quite enjoying all these nuts suggestions. 

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

I'm not sure he suits it at all, but Iggy Pop is a gosh darn legend who's been making tunes for over 50 years and is in Europe at the time. 

I'm sure he's touring with RHCP and I thought the only day they were feasible was Friday. 

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'm sure he's touring with RHCP and I thought the only day they were feasible was Friday. 

He is, but Glasto Sunday is wide open, he only needs to pop over to Germany the next day. He's doing loads of his own dates without them but only one in the UK in July with Blondie.

Edited by BenG92

Just now, Gnomicide said:

Keep fighting the good fight Calgon!

Though I am quite enjoying all these nuts suggestions. 

This thread needs a pinned Legends Slot Criteria post that lists all the reasons why acts like Glenn Medeiros, Karel Fialka and The Residents probably aren't likely to play the slot, no matter how 'legendary' some people consider them.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Or, indeed, Iggy Pop.

As I said, don't think it's actually likely at all. But from what I can tell so far they're quite stuck for "traditional" legends.

Assuming the festival doesn't go under at some point, eventually they will have to move on from what it's considered to be now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

As I said, don't think it's actually likely at all. But from what I can tell so far they're quite stuck for "traditional" legends.

Assuming the festival doesn't go under at some point, eventually they will have to move on from what it's considered to be now.

They’ve already attempted to have a slot on the Pyramid for aging rockers so if Iggy were to play (and god I hope he does) then that’d be the right place for him rather than the legend slot. 

Although there’d still a chance of somebody we’ve written off/not thought of announcing a tour and it all falling nicely in to place, I’ve got my hopes pinned on Duran Duran or Robbie, although not sure how likely either actually are.

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I find funny how quickly everyone dismisses the spice girls. I believe they, like Dave Rowntree, have enough integrity to lie about doing the festival until the appropriate time to announce themselves

Plus the spice girls are the only act we had any info on them doing it

They fit the bill perfectly

Glasto tend to book acts fairly far in advance for obvious reasons, if an act doesn’t do back to back dates elsewhere and playing Glastonbury means doing so, and having to fly over from another country and then back again it’s highly, highly unlikely they are playing. If they were, they just wouldn’t have a date either side of Glastonbury for the same reason they don’t anywhere else on their tour, or if they were booked a bit later on after their tour dates have been arranged, then they’d just do what Elton did and move a date.

Edited by Jose Pose

I'm so desperate to see the Spice Girls in that legend slot at some point! It would be the most fun, like, EVER! The field would be rammo wouldn't it! I'm sure it will happen at some point. I don't know that they'll be able to pull together a show in time for this year but I'm praying.

There does seem to be a lot of leaks and back-tracking surrounding them...which suggests they could be telling little fibs... come on!!

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I find funny how quickly everyone dismisses the spice girls. I believe they, like Dave Rowntree, have enough integrity to lie about doing the festival until the appropriate time to announce themselves

Plus the spice girls are the only act we had any info on them doing it

I think it would be more believable if they were together as a unit doing something. I just don't think any band is going to put together a big show just for a festival that is notorious for not paying well. 

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The biggest obstacle to the Robster is not the exclusivity clauses,which are worth next to nothing these days, but the fact he’s playing in Norway the night before.

Does that rule him out (genuine question)? I thought a fair few acts did things like that over Glastonbury weekend, or is that less possible now? 

14 minutes ago, DJL said:

Does that rule him out (genuine question)? I thought a fair few acts did things like that over Glastonbury weekend, or is that less possible now? 

His tour dates don’t leave much wiggle room. Two dates in Norway, two days off and then two dates in Croatia. If he were lined up I’m sure he would’ve arranged his tour better around it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think it would be more believable if they were together as a unit doing something. I just don't think any band is going to put together a big show just for a festival that is notorious for not paying well. 

It'd be one thing if it was a "normal" band where they just needed to get the singer, guitarist, bass player, and drummer in a room for a few days and they'll quickly fall back into the rhythm as these are the same songs they've been playing for years alongside the same people.

Without trying to be a snob about it, that obviously very much doesn't apply here. The actual musicians involved would be hired hands likely coming in totally cold that needed to learn the material, learn to work with each other, and would need to be paid for the weeks that it took to get into performance shape. That's without even considering the "show" aspects that would be expected in this case.