Will more volunteering positions be available in April?

BoebePhridgers

Hi everyone. Having spent a few months as a lurker, I'm really excited to be part of this community!

After spending several years stuck in my bedroom - partly owing to the global pandemic, partly to social anxiety - I want to take my chances at securing a Glasto ticket for this year.

Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to have the funds to try for a ticket in the resale on Sunday. I just had to spend several hundred pounds on a laptop for work, only to send it back because it has a French keyboard - life sucks 😞

I'm wondering if any more volunteering roles are likely to be made available in the coming weeks? Volunteering is probably the best way forward for me anyhow, since I only work part-time and don't have an awful lot of disposable income. 🙂 I know demand for volunteering placements is also pretty high, but nonetheless I'm keen to give it a go.

Edited by BoebePhridgers
  • Like 1

Almost certainly yes - but you'll still need to pay a full (refundable) deposit equal to the ticket price, and it's likely that when positions do come up they get snapped up pretty quickly. Most places will have filled their spots at this point, so any vacancies will be cancellations - I'd expect a fair few of those over the next couple weeks due to resale success and possibly a few more in the weeks leading up to the Festival itself.

Once you've got the deposit money, create an Oxfam account and check their site frequently - any time someone cancels the place will be released automatically. Others will be doing the same thing and so it's likely any places that do come up will get snapped up quickly.

In addition to the advice above, it's worth pointing out that if you keep an ear to the ground, so to speak, and are willing and able to be fairly flexible about what/how much you do, arrival circumstances etc. then come much nearer the festival a lot of smaller traders and the like will usually be hunting for people on a way smaller scale than the like of Oxfam and Festaff

7 hours ago, BoebePhridgers said:

Hi everyone. Having spent a few months as a lurker, I'm really excited to be part of this community!

After spending several years stuck in my bedroom - partly owing to the global pandemic, partly to social anxiety - I want to take my chances at securing a Glasto ticket for this year.

Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to have the funds to try for a ticket in the resale on Sunday. I just had to spend several hundred pounds on a laptop for work, only to send it back because it has a French keyboard - life sucks 😞

I'm wondering if any more volunteering roles are likely to be made available in the coming weeks? Volunteering is probably the best way forward for me anyhow, since I only work part-time and don't have an awful lot of disposable income. 🙂 I know demand for volunteering placements is also pretty high, but nonetheless I'm keen to give it a go.

There are still applications open to be an Oxfam campaigner. 

You have to write in 300 words about one of their campaigns and why climate justice is important. You need a reference (which is a tick box form so very short for the referee) - and then you pay a £280 deposit. You also need to do a short 3 mins video talking about something you are passionate about. 

I started the application and wrote the 300 word question and got a reference done as a back up in case I didn't get tickets yesterday. I luckily managed to so I will be cancelling my application... there are still spaces to apply. 

Good luck 

9 hours ago, BoebePhridgers said:

This was shared Monday, if you follow through to the link it says they're still recruiting.  I can't comment about the work or shifts, but it sounds like an option maybe?

• Upvote 1

Wow guys! Thank you so much. I am really overwhelmed by the responses: I didn't expect so many people to get back to me so quickly.

I did actually notice that Oxfam still have vacancies for campaigning, My only worry is that they may all be filled by the time I have some money in the bank. 😧 But if not, it could well be my best shot! And I have volunteered for an organisation focused on climate change in the past, so it's definitely a cause I could get behind. 🙂 I think I would really enjoy the work (particularly in comparison to those brutal 10pm-6am steward shifts).

Failing that, I will make sure I keep an eye out for the other volunteering posts. :)

This is a long shot - but does anybody know if PayPal is accepted for payment in the resale? I just learnt that they allow you to make any payment on finance - I discovered this today when I placed an order for another laptop, since I'm waiting on the refund for the one I returned. If so, I may be able to try for a ticket on Sunday!

8 minutes ago, BoebePhridgers said:

Wow guys! Thank you so much. I am really overwhelmed by the responses: I didn't expect so many people to get back to me so quickly.

I did actually notice that Oxfam still have vacancies for campaigning, My only worry is that they may all be filled by the time I have some money in the bank. 😧 But if not, it could well be my best shot! And I have volunteered for an organisation focused on climate change in the past, so it's definitely a cause I could get behind. 🙂 I think I would really enjoy the work (particularly in comparison to those brutal 10pm-6am steward shifts).

Failing that, I will make sure I keep an eye out for the other volunteering posts. 🙂

This is a long shot - but does anybody know if PayPal is accepted for payment in the resale? I just learnt that they allow you to make any payment on finance - I discovered this today when I placed an order for another laptop, since I'm waiting on the refund for the one I returned. If so, I may be able to try for a ticket on Sunday!

No Paypal sorry, card only. 

If it's anything like last year, Oxfam relists volunteering spots as soon as someone cancels them, so you just have to be on the Oxfam website at the right time.

Last festival I managed to claim a spot in May, and another for my wife a week or so later. You have to be dedicated and have the website open and refreshing as often as you can.

I imagine it will be worth putting a few extra hours in on sunday and monday, as many people will cancel when they get a ticket in the resales.

32 minutes ago, mazola said:

If it's anything like last year, Oxfam relists volunteering spots as soon as someone cancels them, so you just have to be on the Oxfam website at the right time.

Last festival I managed to claim a spot in May, and another for my wife a week or so later. You have to be dedicated and have the website open and refreshing as often as you can.

I imagine it will be worth putting a few extra hours in on sunday and monday, as many people will cancel when they get a ticket in the resales.

Or the bus sale 

OXFAM STEWaRds SHOWING AVAILABLE 

13 hours ago, BoebePhridgers said:

Edited by crazyfool1

51 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

No Paypal sorry, card only. 

That sucks. If anyone needs proof there is no god, this is it ^

55 minutes ago, mazola said:

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

OXFAM STEWaRds SHOWING AVAILABLE 

So unfortunately, my issue isn't the long-term expense - it's cash flow. 😞 I wouldn't be able to afford the deposit until April anyway. Thank you for the help though guys! I will make sure I'm refreshing like a madman after payday!

4 hours ago, clarkete said:

This was shared Monday, if you follow through to the link it says they're still recruiting.  I can't comment about the work or shifts, but it sounds like an option maybe?

Unfortunately they ask for at 3 months of experience working on a bar: I have 0. 😞

56 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Or the bus sale 

What is the bus sale?

3 minutes ago, BoebePhridgers said:

Unfortunately they ask for at 3 months of experience working on a bar: I have 0. 😞

What is the bus sale?

That was last night … meaning people who got tickets in the bus sale last night would give up work places and they would become available today … like just happened for a brief period of time 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Oh sorry about that, I hadn't spotted that key detail 😞 

It's okay, they don't both telling you until you go to the effort of registering. 😢 As I found to my dismay.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

That was last night … meaning people who got tickets in the bus sale last night would give up work places and they would become available today … like just happened for a brief period of time 

Oh I see, I am with you! Have you volunteered with Oxfam before? Is there a great demand for the steward placements than the campaigning ones? If so, I cannot understand that! I definitely don't want to work a 10pm-6am shift if I can avoid it.

1 minute ago, BoebePhridgers said:

Oh I see, I am with you! Have you volunteered with Oxfam before? Is there a great demand for the steward placements than the campaigning ones? If so, I cannot understand that! I definitely don't want to work a 10pm-6am shift if I can avoid it.

It's very difficult to judge relative demand as they're handled totally differently.

Steward spots work on a literal first come first served basis - once you select the festival and pay the deposit, you're effectively guaranteed the spot - the only things that could result in you losing it are if you've been previously blacklisted, or if your reference doesn't check out or you fail to complete the online training. There's also a lot more steward spots - Oxfam have approx 2,400 at Glastonbury.

Campaigner spots are handled by an application process - so potentially loads more people will end up applying than get selected - hence the applications are still open. There's only a few hundred campaigner spots at Glastonbury, and they may well default to people who've done it before and they know are effective in the role.

9 minutes ago, BoebePhridgers said:

It's okay, they don't both telling you until you go to the effort of registering. 😢 As I found to my dismay.

Only one of your three shifts will be a late and they're generally not too bad! Especially if you have a good team. The gates will be pretty quiet by that time so if you're on ticket checks it's a good opportunity to listen to music and have a chat. Some supervisors come up with games and competitions to keep you occupied if they're on the ball too. 

Having worked security at festivals, nothing beats the comradery of a night shift 😉 And the excitement of the tea trolley making an appearance is as good as any drug. Fingers crossed for you!