Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

This thread takes me back, I’m sure I’ve seen a horse there as well ( not a police one), fond memories of lost vagueness, candle flares, fires in the pyramid field, Joe bananas ( still got a blanket), dodgy cider sold out of a barrel  by the healing field, mushroom sellers,  naked dancing at jazz world, the guy with the cross, naked protest, guardian tent, no mobiles, and best of all no problem getting a ticket. Still love it though and can’t wait. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cat67 said:

This thread takes me back, I’m sure I’ve seen a horse there as well ( not a police one), fond memories of lost vagueness, candle flares, fires in the pyramid field, Joe bananas ( still got a blanket), dodgy cider sold out of a barrel  by the healing field, mushroom sellers,  naked dancing at jazz world, the guy with the cross, naked protest, guardian tent, no mobiles, and best of all no problem getting a ticket. Still love it though and can’t wait. 

Yes, Joe Bananas, mushroom sellers, general random nakedness, zero mobile signal….had forgotten. 💕

12 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I recall being at one of the wine bars and they played' rock the kasbah' by the clash and a load of people got to the front and started shaking the van whilst shouting 'rock the wine bar' 😄 

THIS is Glastonbury 💕 It’s what’s kept me going over 20 years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

Yes, Joe Bananas, mushroom sellers, general random nakedness, zero mobile signal….had forgotten. 💕

If you're really old then nobody had phones, back when there were no police on site (just security) and therefore tents in certain places happily selling a wide range of drugs - "black 'ash, sensi, trips" from a big frame tent.  As mentioned simply driving as far as you could into the site, parking, then putting tent up, dogs wandering about sometimes (nobody cleaned up after them though so thankfully not many), or folks riding motorbikes on the paths (no helmets obviously). 

• Like 1

It's been years since I've heard dealers walking round hawking "pills and trips, pills and trips" loudly. Admittedly, I take the kids nowadays so probably don't spend as much time in the places where this'd happen so often, but back in the '00s there seemed to be dealers mooching around everywhere looking for business.

9 hours ago, Olshansky said:

I miss the 50p tea tent and the candle flares 

In 2010 we got to camp next to the 50p tea tent in Undleground, which has long been my escape from the crowds for a calm cuppa and a smoke in a quiet spot.  Lovely guys who run it and I was absolutely gutted when I rocked up in 2022 to find it was parking for site vehicles.  

As for the candle flares, we didn't go to glastonbury when the kids were little, so we'd buy some candle flares from b&q, drag the telly and speakers into the back garden and make that our glastonbury.  The pyramid field looked fantastic back in the day at night, a sea of little lights.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:23 AM, -TLR- said:

anyone remember in either '97 or '98 there was a big hole that was covered by all the mud... a crowd slowly gathered and formed a sort of human funnel that diverted anyone unfortunate enough to be walking that way straight to the hole resulting in a sort of vicar-of-dibbly moment and a cheer from said crowd.

it all culminated when an ice cream van was diverted into the hole, where the wheel got jammed and it had to be bumped by the crowd to get it out of the hole and on its way...

(the comment above about rock the wine bar made me think of it).

obviously this is something i do not ever wish to see again - as i do not wish to ever have the mud again!

yes, I also can't remember if it was 97 or 98, but I do remember it well, as I was one of the people that went in 🙂

I was feeling a bit smug as I had decent boots on , so while everyone else was sticking to the paths, i would just stride through the mud, no big deal

then was hading for somewhere past the pyramid, and on approching from the cider bus side, loads of people in the way, so i went through the empty space, noticed lots of people stood with cans of beer watching nothing in particular, then -sploosh- up to my thighs in slop - a big cheer went up from the crowd, I extracted myself, laughing, then spent half an hour scraping it all off with a crushed beer can 🙂

good times 🙂 

• Upvote 3

On 6/7/2024 at 9:22 AM, -TLR- said:

it was always a wednesday tradition, after the tents were up, to go and get our firewood from the big pile at the bottom of muddy lane.

used to have a fire quite regularly - totally impossible to do so now even if you wanted to, as every single millimetre of space has a tent on it (Big Ground).

This is it isn't it - just no space and everyone's in SE or Hayes at night now.

If you light one the stewards come and put it out now sometimes.

5 hours ago, Spindles said:

In 2010 we got to camp next to the 50p tea tent in Undleground, which has long been my escape from the crowds for a calm cuppa and a smoke in a quiet spot.  Lovely guys who run it and I was absolutely gutted when I rocked up in 2022 to find it was parking for site vehicles.  

As for the candle flares, we didn't go to glastonbury when the kids were little, so we'd buy some candle flares from b&q, drag the telly and speakers into the back garden and make that our glastonbury.  The pyramid field looked fantastic back in the day at night, a sea of little lights.

Yeah it was going all vehicles by 2017 when I last camped there with a band. Twas the place where you could get heckled by crusties back in the 90's

On 6/7/2024 at 11:55 AM, Johnnyseven said:

Oh yes. Thinking they don't work, buying a 2nd batch, taking them and finding that they really do.  

Mine was cow worming tablets. Thought I was dead for 24hours but on the plus side i havent had cow worms for 17 years

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also partook of the wormer.  I have a black hole in my memory starting about 9pm Saturday and ending at dawn, when I found myself soaked from head to foot standing outside my tent with no idea what the previous 8 hours had involved.  The following day when I sweat it smelled like vomit.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:17 PM, Cat67 said:

Regarding one of your observations above, this year you may be surprised.....

39 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Regarding one of your observations above, this year you may be surprised.....

You’re going to take your kit off for Justice to put on your TicTok?

I miss the hidden micro venues in Shangri La, buying milk from the tractor trailer and the “clang” from the long drop doors. They all seem to have soft closers on now.  Feels wrong somehow.

2 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

And no, I'm not referring to me selling mushrooms.... which I will be.

Wooden ones of course.......

Have you made a cross for someone?