NYC Downlow - help me get in!

BristolJT

On 5/1/2022 at 1:19 PM, EFC1996 said:

I’ve always avoided the downlow due to it being a queer party, I’m not homophonic i was just always insecure and this will be my first Glasto after coming out so will defiantly be paying it a visit this year. Some of the stories I’ve heard from it are insane 🥳

A year later I can confirm it was insane and I hope to be back in all the chaos this year 

Only ever been in once, the first night of my first Glastonbury - Wednesday of the dreaded mud bath of 2016. Waltzed in with barely any queue whatsoever, the whole SE corner was quiet I assume due to not many making the trek down due to the weather conditions. I've wanted to go back in every year since but the queues have always been too long - it always looks like way longer than an hour but maybe it moves quicker than it looks?

8 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Only ever been in once, the first night of my first Glastonbury - Wednesday of the dreaded mud bath of 2016. Waltzed in with barely any queue whatsoever, the whole SE corner was quiet I assume due to not many making the trek down due to the weather conditions. I've wanted to go back in every year since but the queues have always been too long - it always looks like way longer than an hour but maybe it moves quicker than it looks?

I would say unless you get there before 11 the queue will not move quick at all and after midnight it probably isn't worth bothering due to re-entries. I've been stood at a standstill in the queue for over two hours once from like 1am due to being too drunk and silly rumours that they'd let us in any moment

What’s the deal with re-entries? Once you’re in you can come and go as you please? Never been but would like to! I just see a queue at glasto and immediately thing it’s not worth it. Honestly don’t understand when I see people happily joining a long queue at glasto. The time is just too precious to queue! 

8 minutes ago, Ell99 said:

What’s the deal with re-entries? Once you’re in you can come and go as you please? Never been but would like to! I just see a queue at glasto and immediately thing it’s not worth it. Honestly don’t understand when I see people happily joining a long queue at glasto. The time is just too precious to queue! 

You can only re-enter that night. And tbh the queue can be fun if you're with a good group and there's plenty of entertainment out front to keep spirits up.

I'm going by myself this year to the festival. First time. Also looking to finally go into the venue. Always been a little wary and nervous and the group I regularly go with were never up for it. Can I still have a good time? Silly question but is it a vibes if you're with friends deal.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, maximofresh said:

As of this year (2024)there is also scissors in the park area which aims to cater for lgtbqi crowds. As for downlow try and get yourself the gold block 9 wristband then you can use the entrance in maseos by the loos

did you go to scissors? if so what was the vibe like

The problem for gay people concerning this venue ís it's become a victim of its own success. I'm straight but I always want to go there because it's f**king great in there. Wicked sound and the tunes are generally always brilliant. Basically guaranteed great night out and in the running for best venue on the festival sight. The tourists are really irritating and I get it must be really frustrating for the gay crowd

3 hours ago, northernangel said:

I go to here this year, it reminded me I did go in once before and while it's good for what it is, it's just not a vibe I would need to experience again. The gay vibe isn't the issue but it is basically gays on coke.

Is this different to anybody else being on coke? I'm not sure what sexual orientation has to do with it.

Edited by MilkyJoe

3 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Is this different to anybody else being on coke? I'm not sure what sexual orientation has to do with it.

The point was made because that is the vibe of the venue so that's what is has to do with it. It had been ages since I had been in there so I forgot how much towards that direction it was. For someone who doesn't do drugs and isn't gay, that's a massive vibe to pick up on. As long as that's not being said in an unjust way, which I am not and describing what you thought of the place when you entered, I don't see it as a bad thing. If that isn't your taste anyway then add drugs to the mood and that will create an environment, that's not a dig, it's an observation.

Was thinking about this place and the queues to get in and I actually don't think there's much difference between queuing an hour to get in here and turning up an hour early to get a good spot to watch a pyramid headliner. 

They're just different types of queuing for entertainment. 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:02 PM, maximofresh said:

The problem for gay people concerning this venue ís it's become a victim of its own success. I'm straight but I always want to go there because it's f**king great in there. Wicked sound and the tunes are generally always brilliant. Basically guaranteed great night out and in the running for best venue on the festival sight. The tourists are really irritating and I get it must be really frustrating for the gay crowd

Not sure if you’re referring to Scissors or NYC, but Scissors sounded great so tried to go in and they knocked me back 3 nights in a row. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Tried with a group of 4 lads but then with a mix of girls and lads and still didn’t like the look of us.

I did not even try Scissors - tried to go to Sisterhood one night as I saw groups of straight girls and guys queuing and getting in, and the woman at the door told me that they would prefer cis males to leave space to non binary and women. It did not make sense because the groups I had before me and after me were mixed straights... and then I realised that she was asking, and the others did not give a f. So the end result of that door policy is that only the people who don't care about taking the space are actually taking the space. On the other hand I am tired as a gay guy to be told that I take space of minorities being part of a minority myself as if queerness was a bunch of different people doing a sum zero, but hey that's me. Taking space. 

Did not see cokeheads in NYC the couple of times I was able to get in there. Everyone was on k after all. 

7 minutes ago, Risingson2 said:

I did not even try Scissors - tried to go to Sisterhood one 

Did not see cokeheads in NYC the couple of times I was able to get in there. Everyone was on k after all. 

At least as bad 

44 minutes ago, Risingson2 said:

absolutely different effects and behaviour. Unless your point was a general rejection of anyone who uses drugs, as all of them are equally bad for you. 

Nah, skip has a drug of choice and all the others are bad! 

northernangel just assumes anyone acting acting like an ass must be on coke and all people on coke act like an ass. 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Nah, skip has a drug of choice and all the others are bad! 

Not quite true 😀

I’ve 3 drugs of choice and one I used to love but ain’t got the bottle to use anymore 

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Not quite true 😀

I’ve 3 drugs of choice and one I used to love but ain’t got the bottle to use anymore 

everyone loses their lucy bottle when they've had a few sessions of 8 hours of hell 🙂 

• Like 1