Type 1 Diabetes advice

Crazyfool01

On 5/28/2022 at 5:31 PM, Boo50 said:

Any tips on sugar free (or low sugar) cocktails in a can?

im not a beer or wine drinker but love a cocktail!

I’ve not come across any low sugar/sugar free cocktails in a can but I’ve recently started drinking hard seltzers, you can get all sorts of flavours and they’ve virtually carb free! 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, crazyfool1 said:

theres onsite pharmacy that im sure you can access for emergencies like that .... I do also keep spares though 

This 100%.

If you loose your insulin, stuff gets nicked, or if you think there is a problem of any kind or needing somewhere clean to change your pump site or anything then head to the festival medical centre. They will have insulin on site they can give you in an emergency lack of insulin situation, and their pharmacy will either have what you need for them to prescribe fresh insulin or they will get some delivered if you are on some new fangled brand they don't have in stock. 

• Like 1

Just taken delivery of a fresh box of insulin and needles so I'm sorted for the festival, due to replace my libre on Sunday but will also take a spare with me just in case it falls off

dug out my old frio wallet to store my spare insulin in

off to the shop to buy some haribo this weekend, then i think im all sorted for the week ahead

I was packing over the weekend and looked again at the prescribed medication policy. It says you should ensure that medication is in its original container with the dispensary sticker with your name on it, does this mean I need to bring the cardboard box that my insulin pens come in? I was going to just bring the pens in my friyo wallet but does everyone normally take the box as well? Same for my spare Libre, was going to take it out the box to save on space but do you think it’s worth bringing the box it comes in? Just wondered what others were doing? 

13 minutes ago, lucyliz said:

I was packing over the weekend and looked again at the prescribed medication policy. It says you should ensure that medication is in its original container with the dispensary sticker with your name on it, does this mean I need to bring the cardboard box that my insulin pens come in? I was going to just bring the pens in my friyo wallet but does everyone normally take the box as well? Same for my spare Libre, was going to take it out the box to save on space but do you think it’s worth bringing the box it comes in? Just wondered what others were doing? 

I am bringing the packaging this time … but don’t have it for the pens any longer … tbh If security ask to search and that’s rare I just say I’m diabetic and have needles … they’ve never asked for prescriptions … and I’ve never bothered taking them before … any issues just ask to speak to a supervisor … they should have had this trained to them 

46 minutes ago, lucyliz said:

Im taking a spare libre still in the box and ive got a full box of needles so taking that

The insulin pens will be in the firo wallet with my spares in my coolbox, this will be my 7th Glastonbury and so far no one has ever checked my bags or questioned my medication

Just grabbing my insulin from the fridge and realised that the bag from the chemist where I keep it all wasn't actually full of insulin, it was some other medication for the kid. So turns out I'm down to the last dribble of insulin in a vial for refilling my pump from. 

Idiot for not noticing the stock level and too late to order any as I'm leaving in a couple of hours to get the bus. 

Thankfully the backup pens I have for in the event of a pump failure are still in date, so I'll have to resort to extracting the insulin from them in order to reload my pump. 

Not a complete disaster, but can't believe I'd not noticed the stock levels were so low. 

4 minutes ago, robin said:

Just grabbing my insulin from the fridge and realised that the bag from the chemist where I keep it all wasn't actually full of insulin, it was some other medication for the kid. So turns out I'm down to the last dribble of insulin in a vial for refilling my pump from. 

Idiot for not noticing the stock level and too late to order any as I'm leaving in a couple of hours to get the bus. 

Thankfully the backup pens I have for in the event of a pump failure are still in date, so I'll have to resort to extracting the insulin from them in order to reload my pump. 

Not a complete disaster, but can't believe I'd not noticed the stock levels were so low. 

Do you have enough of that ? Don’t forget there are onsite pharmacy’s , I’d advise getting to one early and get it ordered … minimal queue and then you’ll be able to get on with festival 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do you have enough of that ? Don’t forget there are onsite pharmacy’s , I’d advise getting to one early and get it ordered … minimal queue and then you’ll be able to get on with festival 

Well I managed to get myself out of that screw up easier than expected. Just went to my local pharmacy and checked they had it in stock, the GP surgery then quickly did me a prescription for 1 vial, and then got it from the pharmacy and back home with time to spare for another cup of coffee before I head out the door. 

I think I'd have had enough from the pens to get me through, but knew the on site medical facilities would have been available too. 

Sometimes the NHS services amaze you with how good and efficient they are, even if it was entirely my screw up in the first place. 

• Like 1

Just now, robin said:

Well I managed to get myself out of that screw up easier than expected. Just went to my local pharmacy and checked they had it in stock, the GP surgery then quickly did me a prescription for 1 vial, and then got it from the pharmacy and back home with time to spare for another cup of coffee before I head out the door. 

I think I'd have had enough from the pens to get me through, but knew the on site medical facilities would have been available too. 

Sometimes the NHS services amaze you with how good and efficient they are, even if it was entirely my screw up in the first place. 

Fantastic have an amazing festival . Maybe see you there 

• Like 1

So how did everyone cope over the festival?

I had 1 minor hypo, got a reading of 3.4 one afternoon, probably because of all the walking i was doing

The main issue for me was trying to keep my levels down, did a tent when i got back to the tent after McCartney and was reading 22.1! Massively miscalculated my carb intake that evening, according to my Libre app

My average reading over the last 7 days was 11.4, now time to get things back to normal as soon as possible

Edited by prestonmike
spelling mistake

• 8 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 1:59 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

I’d advise taking prescription just in case

the NHS app  includes prescription info and is an easy way of having that info if you want to take it with you.