Rail Strikes announced

THEBOILERMAN

9 minutes ago, rhyscork said:

My reasons for supporting the strike and waving my RMT flag at Glasto:

We were told during the pandemic that we were key workers. We had to work while others isolated. We were told we were ESSENTIAL to the running of the railway and the country as a whole. I am not disputing this.

Whilst every single shop or anything that was open during lockdown had screens and masks, we did not. "Can't be sourced" "you'll take PPE away from the NHS", "payment dispute between the train company and the Gov for who should supply". Just some of the excuses given.

When Borris went on TV and partially lifted the 1st lockdown, the Unions said staff will not work without PPE. 

MAGICALLY within 48hrs, the apparent impossible to get hold of PPE appeared at every station. 4000 masks and 100s of bottles of sanitiser, along with screens were impressively plucked out of thin air for my station alone.

We were not given anything, we had to fight for everything we got, when we asked for simple things such as masks, we got guilt tripped that we were taking away from the NHS. 

We had times where people tested positive for Covid, the entire management teams, whether they were there or not, were isolated, lower level staff who had spent longer with the same staff were told "If you've been following the rules you shouldn't have to isolate" and had to continue to work.

I should add now that this is not a sob story or me complaining, EVERYONE up and down the country made massive sacrifices, we like everyone else just had to get on with it, power through and try to make the best of a bad situation. This is purely based on principles.  

One of my old colleges who used to work at my station (moved stations pre pandemic), died as a result of Covid, whilst working as a key worker on the railway. (Along with many others on the railway and all jobs up and down the country)

He was there because he was told he was essential to running the railway.

His job role is now one of the job roles under particular threat of compulsory redundancy. This is SO wrong to me,

HOW can you be essential to the running of the railway and a "key worker" when we were doing less than 100 passengers most days, but suddenly not be essential when we are doing 10,000 - 25,000 passengers a day?

I will and cannot stand aside whilst people who put themselves on the line when they were asked to, are cast aside and treated like the bad guys now.

Its pure principle.

NO COMPULSARY REDUNDANCIES. That's all they have to do to postpone the strike. 

Its not the unions or workers to blame for this strike. Its not the unions or workers who wanted or forced this strike. Its the train companies and government who are to blame. They could have talked, they could have made an offer, instead they trained managers for months to fill the jobs left empty by strikes.

If you see someone with an RMT flag, it might be me, so come say hi and sign it! If i can fill a flag with signatures, i'll send it to the bosses when i get back! Love you all. Can't wait for Glasto. Support the strike.

Solidarity my friend, have a great festival x

• Thanks 1

Explains how the strike will help the Tories out on June 23rd with the byelections

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/06/10/the-rail-strike-could-help-the-tories-retain-tiverton-honiton/

So as well as empowering Boris, the strike will punish a festival which has supported unions throughout the years

Clearly someone at the union has screwed up when thinking of the dates for the strike

Edited by zahidf

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Explains how the strike will help the Tories out on June 23rd

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/06/10/the-rail-strike-could-help-the-tories-retain-tiverton-honiton/

So as well as empowering Boris, the strike will punish a festival which has supported unions throughout the years

Clearly someone at the union has screwed up when thinking of the dates for the strike

lol

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Explains how the strike will help the Tories out on June 23rd with the byelections

They have a majority of over 24,000 lmao. If they retain the seat it’s because too many people who live there read the Daily Mail, not because rail workers who mostly live hundreds of miles away went on strike to keep their jobs. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They have a majority of over 24,000 lmao. If they retain the seat it’s because too many people who live there read the Daily Mail, not because rail workers went on strike to keep their jobs. 

Well, its going to be tight, the lack of activists being able to get in will definitely be a factor. 

Its fine, the Union are only responsible for their workers condition and don't care about wider society. But they have to own their consequences. 

A) Most activists drive or lift share, especially in a rural constituency - you need to get around the area to canvas, deliver leaflets, put up posters and do a myriad of things on polling day. The Lib Dems are normally pretty good at coordinating the troops. 

B) Even with plenty counting against the tories, the most significant hurdle is that majority 

49 minutes ago, clarkete said:

A) Most activists drive or lift share, especially in a rural constituency - you need to get around the area to canvas, deliver leaflets, put up posters and do a myriad of things on polling day. The Lib Dems are normally pretty good at coordinating the troops. 

B) Even with plenty counting against the tories, the most significant hurdle is that majority 

Yep. 

Also, in terms of Boris Johnson’s immediate future, it matters less whether the Torys actually retain the seat than it matters that a previously-safe seat with a majority of over 24,000 is now a toss-up. If there’s less than a few thousand votes in it, members of the cabinet expected to run to succeed BloJo like Sajid Javid (majority 23,000) and Nadhim Zahawi (majority 20,000) - not to mention Jeremy Hunt (majority 9,000) - will start realising that it might well be now or never. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

13 hours ago, rhyscork said:

We were told during the pandemic that we were key workers. We had to work while others isolated. We were told we were ESSENTIAL to the running of the railway and the country as a whole. I am not disputing this.

Whilst every single shop or anything that was open during lockdown had screens and masks, we did not. "Can't be sourced" "you'll take PPE away from the NHS", "payment dispute between the train company and the Gov for who should supply". Just some of the excuses given.

When Borris went on TV and partially lifted the 1st lockdown, the Unions said staff will not work without PPE. 

MAGICALLY within 48hrs, the apparent impossible to get hold of PPE appeared at every station. 4000 masks and 100s of bottles of sanitiser, along with screens were impressively plucked out of thin air for my station alone.

We were not given anything, we had to fight for everything we got, when we asked for simple things such as masks, we got guilt tripped that we were taking away from the NHS. 

We had times where people tested positive for Covid, the entire management teams, whether they were there or not, were isolated, lower level staff who had spent longer with the same staff were told "If you've been following the rules you shouldn't have to isolate" and had to continue to work.

I should add now that this is not a sob story or me complaining, EVERYONE up and down the country made massive sacrifices, we like everyone else just had to get on with it, power through and try to make the best of a bad situation. This is purely based on principles.  

One of my old colleges who used to work at my station (moved stations pre pandemic), died as a result of Covid, whilst working as a key worker on the railway. (Along with many others on the railway and all jobs up and down the country)

His job role is now one of the job roles under particular threat of compulsory redundancy. This is SO wrong to me,

HOW can you be essential to the running of the railway and a "key worker" when we were doing less than 100 passengers most days, but suddenly not be essential when we are doing 10,000 - 25,000 passengers a day?

I will and cannot stand aside whilst people who put themselves on the line when they were asked to, are cast aside and treated like the bad guys now.

Its pure principle.

Its not the unions or workers to blame for this strike. Its not the unions or workers who wanted or forced this strike. Its the train companies and government who are to blame. They could have talked, they could have made an offer, instead they trained managers for months to fill the jobs left empty by strikes.

If you see someone with an RMT flag, it might be me, so come say hi and sign it! If i can fill a flag with signatures, i'll send it to the bosses when i get back! Love you all. Can't wait for Glasto. Support the strike.

Out of upvotes so consider this one. If I see your flag I'll definitely head over and say hello. Solidarity.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-rail-travel-update-from-gwr/

"We have been working hard to finalise contingency plans should the RMT planned strike action go ahead, and are hopeful that we can maintain timetabled trains between Castle Cary and London Paddington throughout the course of the Glastonbury Festival.

Some services might be subject to alterations to train times and we will be in contact with customers who have already booked seats on board those trains.

We expect to be able to publish our amended train plan next week. We recommend customers who have already bought their train tickets between London and Castle Cary should check that amended plan before either changing their travel arrangements or submitting a refund request for their train ticket."

15 hours ago, rhyscork said:

Its pure principle.

With you all the way and then some. No one wants to lose pay. No one wants to have to disrupt the work they take immense pride in.

I will be actively looking out for your flag to come and sign!

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Out of interest - will you be impacted by the strike - as in getting to Glastonbury ?

Sounds like you won't be - always easier to support something that does not impact you directly.

Personally I wouldn't be waving around a flag saying "I am the reason your mate is at home right now" - eeek...

I'm curious Barry, and someone may have asked you this already.

Do you have any interest in music, or the music at Glastonbury?  All I've ever seen you comment on is stuff as it relates to politics, covid etc. Don't think I've seen you post on anything else, and since the covid thread you've not really been on this part of the board until this and (I think) the topic of kids in school.

Genuinely curious.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Love music / love Glastonbury

Sadly going through a period of life where I have school age kids so can't come 😞

Also my wife is now a Teacher so I wonder if we will ever be allowed to come again 😞 

Maybe I come on my own 😄 

Fair enough, understand the inability to come with kids. But you never seem to talk about music on the forum, is it just not something you get excited about or like to discuss?  Or do you just come here as somewhere to talk politics?

Again, not an attack, just curious.  You're just someone that stands out (to me at least) as only posting on those kinds of topics.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm curious Barry, and someone may have asked you this already.

Do you have any interest in music, or the music at Glastonbury?  All I've ever seen you comment on is stuff as it relates to politics, covid etc. Don't think I've seen you post on anything else, and since the covid thread you've not really been on this part of the board until this and (I think) the topic of kids in school.

Genuinely curious.

bit passive aggressive, just call him a c**t, that's what I do.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Well there isn't many topics you can get involved in around a festival you are not going too but I enjoy reading the threads of whats going on at the festival and looking at peoples excitement through jealous eyes.

I always talked politics on here when I used to come to the festival and just kind of continued.  I am centre right in my politics on forum where the majority opinion is left.  I make for some cracking fun arguments and opportunities to wind people up - which is always a fun sport.  Its boring when everyone agrees 🙂 

Fair enough answers my question! I mean, I'd be lying if I said I got it when there's all the general music chat going on beyond who's actually playing or not, but each to their own and all that 👍

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

bit passive aggressive, just call him a c**t, that's what I do.

I'm a middle aged, middle class, Englishman. Passive aggressive is all I have. It's a miracle I managed to ask the questions without apologising quite honestly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Never got discussions on music - really can't go much further than...

Yeah I like them...
Nah I think they are shit... 

😛 

What, and you can't stretch that out to 20 pages of bollocks? I'm wasting my life...

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Out of interest - will you be impacted by the strike - as in getting to Glastonbury ?

Sounds like you won't be - always easier to support something that does not impact you directly.

Personally I wouldn't be waving around a flag saying "I am the reason your mate is at home right now" - eeek...  Balls brass stuff 🙂 

I suspect the ' solidarity with the workers' line for people wont hold up with the reality of the rail strike massively negatively impacting their journey and festival experience. 

an RMT flag will certainly not be very popular at the festival i predict

Just now, zahidf said:

I suspect the ' solidarity with the workers' line for people wont hold up with the reality of the rail strike massively negatively impacting their journey and festival experience. 

I suspect it might be more popular than some of your posts over the last few days …. Judging by reactions of people on here …. And even on fb it seems to have very decent support from most Glastonbury goers …. It will obviously inconvenience many but once at the festival with a cider in hand people will talk of how they made it there … much like the many other years with trafic queues 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

what percentage of people get to Glastonbury by train? Got to be fairly small, right?

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

You can see it in the thread.  The ones not impacted are all power to the people and the ones directly impacted are like - WTF

Always the same with any strike.

You do know it’s likely that we will all be impacted in some way … no trains equals a lot more traffic on the roads and delays entering the festival maybe not the shit some will go through still an impact all the same 

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

what percentage of people get to Glastonbury by train? Got to be fairly small, right?

Not really I don't think. They've really been emphasising public transport recently, and even some of the coaches need people to take a train to them 

id say a large percentage of people will be effected getting to the site. and a small but reasonable minority of people who will probably have to miss a day or two

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I suspect it might be more popular than some of your posts over the last few days …. Judging by reactions of people on here …. And even on fb it seems to have very decent support from most Glastonbury goers …. It will obviously inconvenience many but once at the festival with a cider in hand people will talk of how they made it there … much like the many other years with trafic queues 

As i say, saying it beforehand is different to how people will feel on the travel days. If its as disruptive as the union are aiming for, i wouldn't expect much support from those effected. 

Just now, zahidf said:

As i say, saying it beforehand is different to how people will feel on the travel days. If its as disruptive as the union are aiming for, i wouldn't expect much support from those effected. 

The answer is that neither you nor I will have any idea how peoples thoughts might change … it might be easier than some expect … it might be worse … never seen agro at Glastonbury and don’t expect to now . I’ll just suck it up and realise people are striking for reasons above my level of annoyance . How are you impacted in terms of travel … ? Maybe if you say what your plans are someone can suggested some alternative plans for you should the worst happen