The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m quite impressed with my tan. Don’t think I’ve got this brown before without leaving the country. I could quite happily have all summers with this weather

I've got a right twat tan... Take my top off I look like I'm wearing a white T-shirt!!!

Arms are a really nice brown colour though. 🙂 

If this coming weekends weather with its amber heat warning was to be replicated at festival time there would be two hundred thousand folk trying to get into the woods at the JP field, Strummerville and the other few shaded areas desperate for a cool spot. Me? The dragon would be my favoured destination. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

If this coming weekends weather with its amber heat warning was to be replicated at festival time there would be two hundred thousand folk trying to get into the woods at the JP field, Strummerville and the other few shaded areas desperate for a cool spot. Me? The dragon would be my favoured destination. 

Not sure about just this weekend tbh … It’s warm enough already … I do wonder if there is an upper limit temperature which is a cut off ? When I worked on the vineyards in NZ I think it was 33 . Mind you I think we got warmer than that in 2019 ?! 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Not sure about just this weekend tbh … It’s warm enough already … I do wonder if there is an upper limit temperature which is a cut off ? When I worked on the vineyards in NZ I think it was 33 . Mind you I think we got warmer than that in 2019 ?! 

Met office has just issued an amber warning for the coming weekend, just as we are heading for jersey. Interestingly the factories h and s act has  a minimum working temp for buildings but not an upper limit. 

20 minutes ago, D-Low said:

It's hard to think we were shivering our tits off every night just 2 weeks ago. This weather would have made my bag a lot lighter without jumpers and fleeces.

Glastonbury Festival site is nearly always cold from about 10pm until the small hours.

55 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Well I think we’re past it being a ‘computer anomaly’ now…

looks like records may fall all over the country!

Monday 

7FF3B2A1-BD6A-416B-8B89-31E1F6E18033.webp.4b863f9228be0455e47ee08dbb78dbb1.webp

Tuesday

7BB1DD3F-C368-4B12-AEFA-55B3BD5B08CF.webp.fca591c10bf71b577210ae3e3a52b909.webp

its bearable at the moment with a draught blowing through the house ... monday playing badminton should be interesting though !!

58 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Well I think we’re past it being a ‘computer anomaly’ now…

looks like records may fall all over the country!

Monday 

7FF3B2A1-BD6A-416B-8B89-31E1F6E18033.webp.4b863f9228be0455e47ee08dbb78dbb1.webp

Tuesday

7BB1DD3F-C368-4B12-AEFA-55B3BD5B08CF.webp.fca591c10bf71b577210ae3e3a52b909.webp

Get used to it.

It's going to be more frequent and more extreme every year.

6 minutes ago, sunnyshoes said:

It's really scary. I can't imagine the festival in 30 plus heat. 2019 was my maximum. Seeing those kind of temperatures in the UK is terrifying. 

There'd be a lot of casualties.

In 2019 I didn't go out before about 7pm, spent the day chilling under my mates huge canvas awning in the craft field, drinking loads of water.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

lovely dangerously hot weather...what fun.

We need to get out of the attitude of thinking of the UK as mild climate. Other countries hit 30s / 40s regularly and do just fine. Problem is, we’re just not setup for it. 

I bought aircon for our home 5 years ago, was told it was pointless by friends, but it’s been a god send with the dogs and cost me less than £400 per room.

Just been quoted £1200 per room a few months ago!!! 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

We need to get out of the attitude of thinking of the UK as mild climate. Other countries hit 30s / 40s regularly and do just fine. Problem is, we’re just not setup for it. 

I bought aircon for our home 5 years ago, was told it was pointless by friends, but it’s been a god send with the dogs and cost me less than £400 per room.

I mean great … but that won’t help at Glastonbury … or when we leave the house ..:  

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I mean great … but that won’t help at Glastonbury … or when we leave the house ..:  

No, but what do they do in places where it is a regular occurrence? They don’t stay indoors. 

Don’t drink silly amounts of alcohol , stay in the shade as much as possible, drink plenty of water, wear loose, light coloured clothing, wear a hat, use lotion, eat light until later in the evening and just generally be sensible. 

The body will acclimatise fairly quickly if you’re sensible. (Which is why 18c at midnight last night felt freezing cold to me!) 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

more AC is kind of a short term fix though right...just adds to the energy use....and makes our towns and cities hotter outside...

Edited by steviewevie

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

more AC is kind of a short term fix though right...just adds to the energy use....and makes our towns and cities hotter outside...

Very good point 🙂 

For now it is, until we are fully reliant on renewables... Or unless you already have a renewable energy tariff, then it doesn't (at least as far as we can trust those plans, given the whole rego scandal... google 'the problem with rego' if you do not know what I'm talking about.)

There is no way around the fact though, Aircon uses a lot of electricity, and at the minute, unless you're on a specific plan, only around 25% of your electricity is coming from renewables. The current target for 100% is 2035. This isn't soon enough, and 'could' be sooner, if the desire was there! By now we should already be forcing, by law, every new build to have roof integrated solar panels!!! And there's a 100 other steps we 'should' by now be taking already to move us closer to 100% renewable!

We do need to be less wasteful with electricity, of course. But that will not get us anywhere near where we need to be. In fact, our overall consumption of electricity may need to go up overall, as we stop burning things to stay warm in the winter, cook our food or power our transportation!!! So we really need to get to 100% renewables as soon as possible. 

Sorry I'm rambling, your point was a very good one, but imo we're very unlikely to reduce our electricity use as a society, and so should be focusing our energy on forcing change as to where that electricity comes from, instead of being simultaneously told to "Use less, but buy an electric car, electric cooker, electric heating system and stop burning things to warm your home!"