The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

45 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

My cat is refusing to go out. Bloody snowflake 😉

My (male) cat is pretending he's the freaking lion king of the urban jungle and is taking a nap... in the attic. Hottest part of the house. 🙄

While my (female) cat is downstairs in her nice cool cardboard house.

17 minutes ago, BumJuice said:

Dark grey skies and light rain in sth Devon and cooling breeze. Not a brag, I hope you all get it and soon

Lucky you. Let’s hope it passes through the rest of the south coast. 

According to iPhone weather it looks like the temperature has peaked where I am but it won’t feel any cooler as the sun will be beating down on the flat all afternoon. 

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

According to iPhone weather it looks like the temperature has peaked where I am but it won’t feel any cooler as the sun will be beating down on the flat all afternoon. 

Nearly there … isn’t this a good time to get that cooler thing going ? 

Nearly at that magic 40... 2 out of my 4 closest stations reading 40! (I live where the arrow points) 

In some weird way I really want them all to read 40, actually looking forward to it!🙈 Think I'll lose interest once that happens. 

hot.jpg.f58684a2fe31232215104b0d4b124efb.jpg

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Nearly there … isn’t this a good time to get that cooler thing going ? 

Oh yeah mate that’s been going for a few weeks now. It really helps. 

40 is really very bloody hot. Undeniably so. The hottest temp i've ever personally experienced was 46 in Melbourne when i lived there a few years back - i worked in a call centre at the time, so that was air conned, and i lived above a pub which was part air con - and i took a slightly circuitous walk to work that went through three shopping centres with notably nippy aircon to try and make the walk to work as decent as it can be. It built up over a few days - 40, 42, 42, 45, and then 46 - and then it broke in an absolutely glorious hour just as i finished work, and it went down about 15 degrees really quickly - people were just stood in the streets basking in the cooling breeze, it was blissful being back down in the early 30's 😊 but it wasnt so bad with the buildup and the break, i thought it was manageable. I look at desert climes like Dubai or Qatar and its just the sheer relentlessness of a month of 40+ days, and i think bleh. No chance! 

Just now, balti-pie said:

40 is really very bloody hot. Undeniably so. The hottest temp i've ever personally experienced was 46 in Melbourne when i lived there a few years back - i worked in a call centre at the time, so that was air conned, and i lived above a pub which was part air con - and i took a slightly circuitous walk to work that went through three shopping centres with notably nippy aircon to try and make the walk to work as decent as it can be. It built up over a few days - 40, 42, 42, 45, and then 46 - and then it broke in an absolutely glorious hour just as i finished work, and it went down about 15 degrees really quickly - people were just stood in the streets basking in the cooling breeze, it was blissful being back down in the early 30's 😊 but it wasnt so bad with the buildup and the break, i thought it was manageable. I look at desert climes like Dubai or Qatar and its just the sheer relentlessness of a month of 40+ days, and i think bleh. No chance! 

I think the key here is 'air con' all of the places being talked about having these sort of temps are used to it and as such have provisions for it.

The BBC interviewed people in London yesterday and one English lady said she now lives in the US but was back here on holiday, and she and her daughter were laughing at the hysteria around it, well I wonder how she would cope in the US with no air con on planes, airports, cars, houses, offices etc!

The worrying trend for me is now places like here are now getting those sort of temps on a regular basis, we've just had the UK record temp broken twice in one day....is that not concerning?!