The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

12 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

2014 may and June were great weather.  Hardly any rain. Farm as dry as a bone

I wasn't inferring anything from that year, just saying which start of year was wetter than this year. 

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Grasping at straws here but technically I understand Pilton is on the edge of the levels rather than on them, with an elevation of up to 55m. ! 

The festival site is down the hill from Pilton. National news just said major incident in Somerset due to flooding. 

25 minutes ago, Neil said:

The festival site is down the hill from Pilton. National news just said major incident in Somerset due to flooding. 

the pumps should sort that . hopefully .... the major incident is declared so they can direct resources at the problem if needed lets hope its not necessary ... we still have 6 months until the festival ... no  need to panic yet . maybe just by a raincoat just to satisfy weather gods so it can safely stay in the car in June . Also from the news 2014 event seems unlikely 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, Skip997 said:

This is sadly completely true and will happen a lot quicker than most people think.o the article

Here's a link the article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/16/california-extreme-weather-climate-crisis

There will inevitably be a point at which extreme weather causes the cancellation of the festival if it keeps going. 

Climate change is only making the extreme weather more extreme and more frequent. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:00 PM, Neil said:

If glasto has a heatwave like last summer people will be dropping like flies. 

After doing BoomTown last year I can tell you that 5 consecutive days of 30° with highs of 32° is hard work at a festival. 

I enjoyed it but any hotter and if I hadn't been properly prepared I would not have enjoyed myself.

42 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the pumps should sort that . hopefully .... the major incident is declared so they can direct resources at the problem if needed lets hope its not necessary ... we still have 6 months until the festival ... no  need to panic yet . maybe just by a raincoat just to satisfy weather gods so it can safely stay in the car in June . Also from the news 2014 event seems unlikely 

That’s me now started looking at BBC south west, channel 967 on sky just to see your local weather! I now know about the levels water pumps and the Dartmoor pony heritage trust. A drier spell of weather over the next few weeks is forecast. Keep the faith! 
a lot of dry weather ahead particularly for those in Somerset so David Braine your weatherman says. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s me now started looking at BBC south west, channel 967 on sky just to see your local weather! I now know about the levels water pumps and the Dartmoor pony heritage trust. A drier spell of weather over the next few weeks is forecast. Keep the faith! 

As an Honary Somerset resident I’m surprised that’s not set as a default channel 🙂 

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Well you are all a feckin cheerful lot in here aren’t you. Talk about doom-mongering.

Here’s a weather picture from 2023

BF288551-F66A-41BE-8164-C9DA05AC08B6.jpeg

Come on...you must know what nonsense the weather thread is by now. Let them harp on about rain....the more everyone thinks its going to be a baltic flood, the more likely it'll be the opposite 🙃☀️🙌🏼 That's how it works lol

8 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Come on...you must know what nonsense the weather thread is by now. Let them harp on about rain....the more everyone thinks its going to be a baltic flood, the more likely it'll be the opposite 🙃☀️🙌🏼 That's how it works lol

@deebeedoobeeDid someone say weather?

20200322_151422(1).thumb.jpg.af5512bc9b69f132cc3c207dbc2e17d5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 3:57 AM, Skip997 said:

This is sadly completely true and will happen a lot quicker than most people think.o the article

Here's a link the article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/16/california-extreme-weather-climate-crisis

Yeah. It was not a pleasant 2 weeks here with all the rain. Now they have to fill in all the pot holes in the roads

17 hours ago, clarkete said:

Saw this and it reminded me of getting stuck walking between the food stalls in 2016.  Of course at Glastonbury by contrast some lovely people stopped and unstuck my welly. 

2016, That would be around the same time I slipped facedown in the mud going up the path from the back of the other field towards the rail track and was serenaded by a chorus of Hefellova Hefellova from the lovely people 😊

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

2016, That would be around the same time I slipped facedown in the mud going up the path from the back of the other field towards the rail track and was serenaded by a chorus of Hefellova Hefellova from the lovely people 😊

Oof, that is a bit mean. 

On 7/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, sunnyshoes said:

Worthy View seemed to have its own weather system this year. Two mornings I set off from WV freezing (hoodie, tights) and then it was at least 5c warmer down on the site if not more. Windier up there too. 

Yes, we noticed that. Pretty chilly sitting out having brekkie but was a lot warmer down the long and winding road. 
looking at the webcam over the last few days and it seems the weather has really improved. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris