The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Sorry but how can 20 odd degrees be debilitating?! 

It isnt 20 though is it? That's shade temps.

Its a lot hotter in the sun. 

It's debilitating in so far as it completely knackers me out. 

- Tbf I was more talking about 25 in the shade (so a lot hotter than that in the sun). 20 & sunny wouldnt be horrendous.

Please don't take ANY of this thread personally. Its all melodramatic for fun and nobody really cares!! We're going to Glastonbury Festival man!!!! Everyone knows they'll have a good time regardless.

(Well, nobody cares except Fuzzy, they really are going to end up in hospital if it hits 19 but that's just one person out of over 200k so I'm sure we can put in a team effort to lift them to FMS and they'll look after them) 😜😜

It'll all be fine xx

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stephos83 said:

BBC just updated:

The rain showers on Saturday is in two hours only with a max chance of 12%.

image.thumb.png.a385fc27d79d0a821a5a1eeba3d673b3.png

their whole forecasting system is mental. shows rain every day but only 20-30% chance for an hour most days. how do they work that out as the main weather for that day?

Just now, StePotts said:

their whole forecasting system is mental. shows rain every day but only 20-30% chance for an hour most days. how do they work that out as the main weather for that day?

you'd rather them present the negative and be pleasently surpised.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If we go back through my posts.. I say "Its outdoor, you pay your money - take your chance" if it's hot - tough. If it's Raining. Tough.

But surely you can see the fact that there has been, at the very least, one day of each of the last festivals since 2016 that to you are unbearable or unmanageable is not some sort of weird unexplained phenomenon? They are simply par for the course and to be entirely expected for summer time.

Edited by Jose Pose

7 minutes ago, stephos83 said:

BBC just updated:

The rain showers on Saturday is in two hours only with a max chance of 12%.

image.thumb.png.a385fc27d79d0a821a5a1eeba3d673b3.png

I have found BBC massively unreliable since they parted ways with Met Office. I still check both quite often and Met Office much closer to reality IMHO. That said I will take the above, big time!

I am shocked to my core that different people are affected by the weather in different ways.  

I feel for Fuzzy, not only does he struggle in the heat and clearly has his preferences for cooler weather, but he's got to justify it on a constant basis.  I don't know what would be more draining tbh.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

I think it’s fine to talk about people’s preferences when they’re completely the opposite of the sort of weather you’d expect for British summer time and by some incredible coincidence, the weather we’ve experienced for every festival since 2016.

Temperatures around 25 are entirely normal and to be expected far more than any other type of weather, hence why shock horror, that’s what we often get, in the summer no less, who’d have thought it?

Average UK high temperature in June is 18C, July is 20C, August 19C.

On average, between 1991 and 2020, the UK saw just 11 days per year with max temp at 25C and above. (https://www.preventionweb.net/news/met-office-review-uks-record-breaking-summer-2022)

I can't find the stats but I suspect we have just as many summer days of heavy rain.

So 25C is abnormally hot. It does happen, but then so do days of heavy rain, they're both just as uncommon.

It looks like we're getting something bang in the middle - not too hot, for the can't bear the heat contingent, but not too cold or wet, for the sun worshippers - so why the f**k is everyone arguing? It's about as fair a compromise as we could hope for (at the moment... still all to play for)

• Like 1