The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

6 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Reading all this chat about 2016 being a write off interests me greatly, are there any threads on here directly logging peoples time at that fest?

I didn't post during the fest but I remember being absolutely shattered all the time.  It took twice as long to get around and was knackering walking through mud all day.  

Dancing was hard work but you had to keep moving or else you'd sink into the mud.  

The killer was not being able to sit down and give my legs and back a rest.

The rain itself wasn't too bad and wouldn't have been (that much of) an issue if it wasn't for the rain in the weeks leading up to the festival but the showers kept the mud oscillating between slippy and sticky. 

It was hard work, probably the most physically demanding glastonbury I've done out of the 9 I've done so far and though I had fun and happy I went, I was glad when it was all over.  

• Like 1

i was at 2016, it was awful. end of log.

edit: stil had fun, but it was rough. never will look at that little slope from other stage to railway track the same again after 2016 😭

Edited by TiZuff

I remember being able to sit down on the Thursday near JP on grass that was as yet untouched but that was the only point at the whole weekend we could sit. Walking in the mud was so dififcult - i face planted between Other and Silver Hayes when my feet left the ground but my wellies didn't! I also had my phone stolen at Other stage and searching in the mud was not the most fun or easy thing to do! Still have some incredible amazing memories from that year but my god the mud made it soooo much tougher

8 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

This video from before gates opened in 2016 still gives me nightmares.

Was just looking for that!

We stayed in a B&B 40 mins from site and set off to drive in at around 4:30am.  With all the cars/campers that needed rescuing due to ground conditions, it was 10:00am before we got parked.  Walked/slithered straight in through gate D and camped in Paines (was Dairy at the time I think due to a cock up).  The ground was so saturated it was like walking on a bouncy castle and tent pegs just slid back out.

By midday on Weds, all the major walkways that weren't metal track were 20-30cm deep in slurry, with sticky clay below that.  Getting anywhere was exhausting.  Nowhere to sit down made it worse.  By Saturday morning, my back was agony.

Our airbed burst on Saturday and we couldn't repair it.  I trudged round the site looking to buy something to sleep on but to no avail.  Got back to find water seeping into the tent, seemingly through the groundsheet, which had soaked some of our clothes.

Watched the first 4 songs of Adele on Sat night, which I thought was shit, then decided we'd had enough.  Went back to the tent, packed up, fucked off.  Got a hotel room somewhere close by, got showered and slept until about 11am on Sunday then went home.

Dreadful stuff.

• Thanks 1

Pushed two year old in a buggy around the site all weekend in 2016. My back goosed as a result. Never made it over the railway line once all weekend. Saw very little music. A grim brexity slog.

We packed up after Beck on the Sunday. The 6 hours between setting foot with packed tent/gear from Wicket to parking on the Bristol Travelodge amongst the most harrowing of my life. Site a mess, carpark a mess, weathera mess, energy levels a mess. Had to mount a 45degree verge in the carpark in the missus peugeot to get car out of there. Diabolical.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Glasto96 said:

Strange people in here complaining about it being sunny and hot 🥴🤨

I'm basically not a fan of any extremes. 2010 was 28 degrees minimum every day, no place to hide if you were in and around the main stages. One friend got sunstroke, my girlfriend at the time suffered swelling from the heat, it wasn't great. Don't want to have to hide in tents the whole weekend.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I was in a B&B in Taunton ready to go that morning and it was on Sky News

We just set off for the fest and heard Emily’s comments . We had got to a village just before street , 8 or so miles from the festival and just came to a halt for like 3 hours . Lovely lady from the house we were parked by brought us cups of tea out and Clinton rogers local news guy parked up and was interviewing people about the wait 🙂 including me . But yeah from the moment we arrived that was bloody hard work and the only year our bike trailers were hard work with all the ruts . 

35 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The 6 hours between setting foot with packed tent/gear from Wicket to parking on the Bristol Travelodge amongst the most harrowing of my life.

I'm sorry it happened, but it did at least get a full chuckle from me

• Upvote 1

2010 was a slog. The worst was your tent turning into a sauna at 8am on the dot. It was the lack of sleep that caused me the most problems, though the rest of it was fine.

Invested in a hat, lathered in sunscreen and seemed to live on Calipos for most of the weekend. I'd take it again any day of the week over 2007 or 2016 though.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

I didn't post during the fest but I remember being absolutely shattered all the time.  It took twice as long to get around and was knackering walking through mud all day.  

Dancing was hard work but you had to keep moving or else you'd sink into the mud.  

The killer was not being able to sit down and give my legs and back a rest.

The rain itself wasn't too bad and wouldn't have been (that much of) an issue if it wasn't for the rain in the weeks leading up to the festival but the showers kept the mud oscillating between slippy and sticky. 

It was hard work, probably the most physically demanding glastonbury I've done out of the 9 I've done so far and though I had fun and happy I went, I was glad when it was all over.  

I remember being shattered on the Sunday and definitely walked less than we normally would have that day but the Friday night is still my favourite night from my 8 Glastonbury’s, Underworld straight into a less busy than normal SE corner (probably because of the mud) dancing at the old Block 9 until the sun came up and it finished. It was the perfect night and the mud didn’t matter at all

• Upvote 1

2016 I remember a lady getting completely stuck in the mud between Block 9 and The Temple. It was so deep no-one could get over to save her and those that tried got stuck as well. I had to abandon my wellies and walk back to the tent bare foot. Horrific. 

I seem to recall there was some kind of issue transporting the metal walkways from Download to Glastonbury because of the poor weather, which meant the paths were even more muddy

Edited by Clouds

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Last year was close to perfect weather. 

Trainers all the way through. No need for masks due to dust. Didn’t feel cold or too hot apart from during the set up. Cans of frozen cider sorted out the overheating on Wednesday. 

it wasnt .... we had to see the sight of your sunburnt ankles 😀

2010 I was in campervan. Even with everything open the van turned into an oven by about 8am. Tried to shower once and was worse when I came out then when I went in.

Still prefer that to 2016. We cycled in that year, which was surprisingly OK. Not much rain the couple of days just before. Once we got on site I had to wheel my bike through mud up to the axels. Where we camped was OK, but most of the site was a quagmire (gigitty). Getting anywhere was a horrible slog. I stayed to the end because I really wanted to see LCD on the other, but after that it was a relief to go home.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The knock on effect from this was huge tailbacks on all roads leading to the site. It took us at least four hours to get from Glastonbury town to the farm.

yeah, I live relativly close to the festival site, usually takes me an hour and a bit in festival traffic, that year took me nearly nine hours from setting off to parking up