The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

30 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

2016 was pretty bad, but there have definitely been much worse years - 1997, 2005 and 2007 were all significantly worse. And I'm saying that as someone who did 2016 with two small kids in tow.

That said, I did have one of my worst ever Glastonbury experiences in 2016. At about 6pm on the Wednesday my mate and I went back to do a second run from the car with our trollies. A quick dash was planned so we could get back in time for dinner, beer, and fireworks.

However, the paths to and from the car parks were absolutely destroyed, with super sticky mud nearly a foot deep for most of the way. We were literally having to stop every few metres for a rest, trolley wheels totally clogged so that we had to drag them, and we had no food or drink except for a massive bag of Maoam strips. My mate, a grown man with 10+ Glastonburys under his belt, was nearly in tears at several points.

It took us about four hours to get back to the gate, at which point we were completely done in, to the point that we could barely walk. Then my mate discovered that he had somehow lost his ticket, so we had to make our way to the office and queue for an hour and a half to get him sorted out. By the time we finally got back to the tent it was nearly midnight, and that was our first day done.

I've not been able to enjoy Maoam strips ever since 😞

i did almost exactly the same thing, the same year - but i left my ticket stub in the car dashboard, like an absolute bloody idiot. Carried all the bags/straps/inexplicably heavy shit to the gate through the shin deep rutted mud, then subsequently back to the car to get my prick of a ticket stub, and then back to the gate again, and subsequently to the campsite.

Couldve happily cried, i knacked my back a couple of weeks before the festival courtesy of an aggressive patient and my god, that sucked, camping was a bloody nightmare.

I have to admit i did chuckle at your story though, sorry . . . its shared trauma! 

16 minutes ago, rwoo said:

We can't agree on weather we like the Sun or not

Hot sun is fine as long as you’ve got somewhere comfortable to sit and a constant supply of cold drinks. Even better if you’ve got a pool to dip into. 

For those happy to sit in front of the Pyramid all day I can see why they would want a steady blast of UV radiation. 

Watching a band in a tent on a sweltering day is a different experience entirely. Showhawk Duo on the Wednesday in 2017 it was raining inside the tent due to the condensation. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Watching a band in a tent on a sweltering day is a different experience entirely. Showhawk Duo on the Wednesday in 2017 it was raining inside the tent due to the condensation. 

It gets steamy, but the plus side is that when you step outside its like stepping into a walk in meat cooler.

I do sympathise with people that struggle with constant heat, but it is in no way comparable to constant rain. I say that as someone that went to Rock Werchter 2019 when Belgium had their hottest day on record and it was something mental like 41 celsius - I'd rather do that festival 5 times than a single wet one 

8 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

I do sympathise with people that struggle with constant heat, but it Is in no way comparable to constant rain. I say that as someone that went to Rock Werchter 2019 when Belgium had their hottest day on record and it was something mental like 41 celsius - I'd rather do that festival 5 times than a single wet one 

I know. The rain is much easier.

For those stressing/worrying about the weather already after a few early charts and brief monthly outlooks, Met Office have already drastically improved their Long Range Forecast compared to what they published yesterday:

Saturday 10 Jun - Saturday 24 Jun

A north/south split is possible as June progresses with northern areas having a better chance of continued dry conditions, whereas the south may be slightly wetter than average. Winds may also be stronger in the southern half of the country but remain light in northern regions. In general, the temperatures are likely to be above average; eastern coastal areas may feel slightly cooler, however, in the presence of onshore winds.

Edited by PolygonWindow
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

For those stressing/worrying about the weather already after a few early charts and brief monthly outlooks, Met Office have already drastically improved their Long Range Forecast compared to what they published yesterday:

A north/south split is possible as June progresses with northern areas having a better chance of continued dry conditions, whereas the south may be slightly wetter than average. Winds may also be stronger in the southern half of the country but remain light in northern regions. In general, the temperatures are likely to be above average; eastern coastal areas may feel slightly cooler, however, in the presence of onshore winds.

Move the festival to Manchester and we will be alright 

1 hour ago, PolygonWindow said:

That still fits in with the theme of their forecast yesterday and the ECMWF model. Temperatures warmer than average during festival week, but expect some rain….

Oh deary me

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Monday 12 June to  Sunday 25 June

Turning wetter, especially in the south

By mid-June there are indications of the high pressure to the north drifting away north-westwards for a while. That could open the door to some showery rain and thunderstorms developing as low pressure edges a little closer to us from the near-Continent. Southern and perhaps western areas of the UK are more likely to see these 

13 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh deary me

By mid-June there are indications of the high pressure to the north drifting away north-westwards for a while. That could open the door to some showery rain and thunderstorms developing as low pressure edges a little closer to us from the near-Continent. Southern and perhaps western areas of the UK are more likely to see these 

mudbath incoming!

41 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Oh deary me

Don't tease me with a good time!

In all seriousness, I'd rather it not rain... dry, cool and overcast please.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Oh deary me

It’s all over, pack your brollies 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Off to see pulp at Neighbourhood in Warrington today. 

Perfect Weather for it. 18 Degrees and dry. No need for a coat & dry. Fantastic scenes

Screenshot_20230528_085639_Google.jpg

It's a lovely morning here in Warrington. Sun has just come out and clouds starting to clear. Should be a great day for you! 

23 hours ago, The Nal said:

Oh deary me

Sounds like warm, muggy and potentially stormy if that's anything to go by. Still miles out. No chance of any sort of accuracy at the moment for the weather on a given day.