Football 2022/23

charlierc

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Having home advantage was big though. I think because of the strange shared format people forget it was effectively a home tournament for England.

True. I'm aware there was a big dose of luck with that, both in that the England v Germany game was originally meant to be in Dublin before they withdrew their host city status, and Rome for the quarters being relatively less of a trek. Certainly, was relatively sane compared to what bright idea put Seville and St Petersburg as host cities int he same group.

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

Not to joiin the social media pile on but at what point is Harry Maguire dropped from top flight and international football?

He's already been dropped from club football.

While I can't understand why he hasn't been dropped from England, as an Irishman I'm very happy that he hasn't.

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

Not to joiin the social media pile on but at what point is Harry Maguire dropped from top flight and international football?

I think he needs time in a less harsh spotlight as you get when you're a regular for England and for Manchester United (or at least he was for the latter until the Brentford debacle then re-exiled).

There is nowhere to hide for him right now and it's leading to rash behaviour and more mistakes, and clearly the recent benching he's had at Old Trafford hasn't had the magic effect of making him come back stronger.

At the very least it's a surprise Fikayo Tomori didn't get a go given he's a regular at a Milan side who won Serie A last year and have made a reasonably decent start. But then equally England squads are almost always about arguing for whomever isn't playing to play.

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Disappointing to see Lawro jumping on the "woke" bandwagon. The BBC were correct to give him his marching orders because his act had grown old. In recent years the ITV coverage has overtaken BBC, so they should ship a few more out.

There have been plenty of shit pundits down the years but Lawro always annoyed me for reasons unknown. I’m glad he’s making an arse of himself and leaving without an ounce of class or professionalism.

Quite like the BT setup on champs league nights. Goal show is excellent and enjoy their pundits generally speaking. Not so sure about the Sutton savage Punch and Judy stuff but don’t normally see the Saturday afternoon show.

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Great result for Scotland tonight.Makes a huge difference to our football over the next couple of years. Feared the worst with all the injuries. 

I'm not a fan of the tournament but it makes it easier to qualify for the Euros, Scotland must get past the groups one day! With a decent run in the nation's league must be frustrating how you messed up the world cup play off 

19 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Disappointing to see Lawro jumping on the "woke" bandwagon. The BBC were correct to give him his marching orders because his act had grown old. In recent years the ITV coverage has overtaken BBC, so they should ship a few more out.

I mean, he'd sounded disinterested at most football matches I'd heard him commentating on for about 5-10 years, so I can't say that I was missing his analysis. Especially as 25 years isn't bad innings and they seemed to give the air of mutual acceptance when they aired a gushing tribute to him on Football Focus before the FA Cup Final, before we instead get this rapid fire pout of invoking the current culture war bullshit where people call decisions they don't like a part of a "woke agenda", whatever that means.

35 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, he'd sounded disinterested at most football matches I'd heard him commentating on for about 5-10 years, so I can't say that I was missing his analysis. Especially as 25 years isn't bad innings and they seemed to give the air of mutual acceptance when they aired a gushing tribute to him on Football Focus before the FA Cup Final, before we instead get this rapid fire pout of invoking the current culture war bullshit where people call decisions they don't like a part of a "woke agenda", whatever that means.

I guess Lawro is just trying to find a bandwagon that will accept him. I assume if you get on that GBNews rotation it's decent money.

a 'woke agenda' attacking pundits who are absolutely bloody terrible, and miserable while being terrible too: its outrageous! 😄 

When he did the predictions thing on the bbc football website, which was notorious for being a massive crock of bollocks, he once went two and a half seasons not predicting a single Liverpool defeat. By all means be one-eyed, but ffs thats absolutely ridiculous. . . 

On 9/7/2022 at 3:30 PM, Skip997 said:

Same here.

For me it's a combination of VAR and the state run clubs that have ruined it, they're basically cheating.

No wonder Liverpool are struggling this season. Imagine losing out by 1 or 2 points when achieving over 90 points in 3 out of the last 5 seasons (?), 2 losses per season being too many all because of a financially doped state run club when they've don e it properly with hardly any net spend. They're totally demoralised and I'm not surprised.

Can you please explain how state run, doped football clubs are ruining football?

Also who are the state run clubs and what team do you support?

Just now, eastynh said:

Can you please explain how state run, doped football clubs are ruining football?

Also who are the state run clubs and what team do you support?

With their ability to keep throwing money around until they get it right with no financial consequences. The way they get round FFP with fake companies sponsoring them while the money is actually coming from the states that run them.

Current state run clubs in the PL - Man City and Newcastle.

Who I support is irrelevant, everyone should be protesting this, football in the PL is becoming pointless.

18 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

With their ability to keep throwing money around until they get it right with no financial consequences. The way they get round FFP with fake companies sponsoring them while the money is actually coming from the states that run them.

Who I support is irrelevant, everyone should be protesting this, football in the PL is becoming pointless.

So you're basically a plastic Scouser who has not got a clue what he is talking about.

If Liverpool had won instead of City, you would not be whingeing.

36 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Playing devils advocates but when I was a teenager it seemed Man U won the league 2 out of every 3 years and Arsenal the other. Is what we have now any worse, or is it just different?

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Playing devils advocates but when I was a teenager it seemed Man U won the league 2 out of every 3 years and Arsenal the other. Is what we have now any worse, or is it just different?

The difference is that Man U and Arsenal funded there teams fairly.

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The difference is that Man U and Arsenal funded there teams fairly.

How do you define fair? I would argue they took advantage of introduction of the premiership/champions league to build up an unfair advantage which couldn't be bridged without the Chelsea/City model. Financial fair play was brought in by the big boys for no other reason than to keep the advantages they had built up 

Note I would have no issue with a salary cap with a more true level playing field.

19 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

How do you define fair? I would argue they took advantage of introduction of the premiership/champions league to build up an unfair advantage which couldn't be bridged without the Chelsea/City model. Financial fair play was brought in by the big boys for no other reason than to keep the advantages they had built up 

Note I would have no issue with a salary cap with a more true level playing field.

Interesting thought. I thought FFP was brought in by the governing bodies.

Man Utd in particular saw an opportunity with the intro of the PL and developed their brand, but within the rules.

Liverpool completely took their eye of the ball.

Man City are currently operating outside the rules but can afford top lawyers.

I'm massively in favour of a salary cap.

Edited by Skip997

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

So I'm guessing your perspective is that I, as a Newcastle fan, should get out now before it's too late?

The irony is I don't think we've gone that crazy. I'm not pretending there's been big finance thanks to our new owners or that these new owners are wildly controversial (particularly given how their attempt to seize the golf world's biggest stars with massive pay checks is going), but there's been clubs with less wealthy owners having their phases of throwing cash at their problems. Hell, I thought covid would lead to a slowdown in transfer fees but if anything this summer was more than ever.

I mean, I can't say Newcastle are yet to get state fronts as sponsors. Nothing on the same frame as a then-Championship Sheffield Wednesday having a fake taxi firm as sponsor to get around their stringent FFP things.

Newcastle seem to be running into many familiar problems so I wouldn't say we're steamrollering people - we still can't keep key players fit, still keep dropping points in winnable home games, and are still struggling to get the most out of our new signings, even if the likes of Isak and Botman cost way more than equivalent signings made under Ashley 4/5 years ago.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

So I'm guessing your perspective is that I, as a Newcastle fan, should get out now before it's too late?

Not necessarily.

I do think that football fans in general should be making more fuss about teams owned by states and circumventing FFP

And yea Newcastle haven't gone mad yet.