Football 2022/23

charlierc

19 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I think it probably brushed his upper arm, but it's still ridiculous that there's different rules for attackers and defenders!

No big deal I guess, as it didn't affect the final result, but it could have!

Indeed that was Rashford's take on it...

Not least as West Ham had two goals allowed despite Fulham having very similar complaints about ball-to-hand use in the build-up.

I knew we were going to need a transition to having VAR used but fuck me how long do they need to tighten this up? And do we need extensive rule re-writes every year to try and get closer to making it work?

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

I see VAR was up to VAR things again yesterday in the Champions League. How many more rule tweaks does it need to maybe work?

Its never going to work.

Ruined poor Harvey Elliots first CL goal for Liverpool last night. Perfectly good goal. Left standing there looking at the screen like a twat after his celebration waiting to see if it would be given.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Its never going to work.

Ruined poor Harvey Elliots first CL goal for Liverpool last night. Perfectly good goal. Left standing there looking at the screen like a twat after his celebration waiting to see if it would be given.

You could argue it gave him the goal, it was ruled out until VAR reviewed it but obviously the counter argument is the officials are more likely to rule something out because they know they have VAR to back them up.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

You could argue it gave him the goal, it was ruled out until VAR reviewed it but obviously the counter argument is the officials are more likely to rule something out because they know they have VAR to back them up.

Problem is that VAR isn't foolproof, VAR officials very often get things wrong, badly wrong.

20 minutes ago, Neil said:

sallah's 6 minute hatrick was unexpected.

glad rangers got spanked, as it stops the inevitable comments saying they'd do alright in the prem.

Eventually they probably would, they have the crowd and the stadium but don't have the funds. A few years down the line they'd do well. The problem is that by that time they'd be in the Championship at best and would be as far off Premier League money as they are now. It would take many years for them to be pushing top 4.

51 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Indeed. Either way we'll see the same shit 4 or 5 times this weekend. Perfectly good goal, kinda celebrate, hang on VAR check, actually yeah it's a goal, kick off immediately. 

The Premier League has been asked to confirm whether it has investigated the billionaire owner of Manchester City Football Club under its “fit and proper” owners’ test, over allegations of helping Russian oligarchs avoid western sanctions after the invasion of Ukraine.

the despot is possibly in trouble.

On 10/3/2022 at 4:27 PM, Neil said:

My boys? you do love your fantasies: like city aren't cheats or owned by a despot?

How have they cheated?

Been through this before. You just spout unsubstantiated bullshit.

Hopefully we give your boys a good hiding on Sunday.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

How have they cheated?

they've fiddled the FFP rules.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Been through this before. You just spout unsubstantiated bullshit.

Hopefully we give your boys a good hiding on Sunday.

city are playing aldershot?

city is owned by a despot, who is helping his despot mate putin by the look of things.

Just now, Neil said:

they've fiddled the FFP rules.

city are playing aldershot?

city is owned by a despot, who is helping his despot mate putin by the look of things.

I don't agree with you regarding ffp. You know my views on that. There is no evidence of cheating. We are the most scrutinised club in the whole of football and there is no evidence of any misdemeanours. Or are you going back over 10 years, for the things we were punished for?

If UAE is supporting Russia, I will boycott City and the owners should be sanctioned.

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

If UAE is supporting Russia, I will boycott City and the owners should be sanctioned.

seems like it is, its providing a lot of the services that London used to provide?

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

As a Shots fan, I can say we also have a decidedly dodgy chairman. It runs deep in the football pyramid…

i missed that aldersht's owners own a whole country.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I really hope I am wrong (as I like Aldershot) but can't see you staying up this season. Struggling to think of 4 teams I can see finishing below you.

I think we are going down. We’re very poor. Rumour is our chairman wants to drive the club into the ground and sell the land of our stadium for housing.

7 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I think we are going down. We’re very poor. Rumour is our chairman wants to drive the club into the ground and sell the land of our stadium for housing.

there's a covenant on aldershot's ground which means it can't be sold off. the council put that in place when they sold the club the ground: the ground is still officially a public park, can walk a dog on it up to ten minutes before kick-off (someone tested that part).

4 hours ago, Neil said:

there's a covenant on aldershot's ground which means it can't be sold off. the council put that in place when they sold the club the ground: the ground is still officially a public park, can walk a dog on it up to ten minutes before kick-off (someone tested that part).

Covenants mean the square route of fuck all. There was a covenant on the land where FC United built their ground.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Covenants mean the square route of fuck all. There was a covenant on the land where FC United built their ground.

Council wouldn't give planning permission for development if breaking a coventent the council put in place.