Football 2022/23

charlierc

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

They have spurs away next week as well, so that won't be easy.

They need to pick up quickly, especially as arsenal and maybe Newcastle are in the mix for top 4 this season. 

It remains the case imo that, as it will be for a lot of other sides, that battle could well be determined by who makes the best start after the Premier League returns from the World Cup. But yes, as it stands so far, Newcastle look to have forced themselves into the conversation, Arsenal could still be top by the time this whole thing stops for its Qatar hiatus, while Chelsea and Man Utd seem mostly receptive to their new bosses' respective methods. Liverpool have a lot of work to do.

Just now, charlierc said:

It remains the case imo that, as it will be for a lot of other sides, that battle could well be determined by who makes the best start after the Premier League returns from the World Cup. But yes, as it stands so far, Newcastle look to have forced themselves into the conversation, Arsenal could still be top by the time this whole thing stops for its Qatar hiatus, while Chelsea and Man Utd seem mostly receptive to their new bosses' respective methods. Liverpool have a lot of work to do.

Liverpool have joint worst away record in the league, no wins this season and only 2 points. I just think they are knackered and not doing what klopp wants. I don't see a vast improvement happening.

United will be where they've been for the last 5-10 years, around the 3rd-6th position. Goalscoring is a big issue, so would not be surprised if we finished 6th. 

Defensively we are ok, apart from the city and Brentford blips(6 goals in the other 9 games), although there will be.more blips through the season. 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, thetime said:

Liverpool have joint worst away record in the league, no wins this season and only 2 points. I just think they are knackered and not doing what klopp wants. I don't see a vast improvement happening.

Liverpool players in the main just can't be bothered, VVD and Trent are disgraceful in their attitudes.

Will do well to avoid relegation.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Kane awarded freedom of the city of London, shouldn't you need to win something first?

is that the freedom to use spurs' only tactic of kane falling over?

42 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Is that an easy line for commentators to use if Liverpool leave him unmarked in the box on Sunday?

no, its the fact of kane's and spurs' play, mostly harry has to fall over for spurs to score, its pathetic for a major team.

Well it's always been the case that a World Cup has missed players due to injury. Just having it mid-season one week after the domestic leagues stop is going to induce more damage, especially as some players still have another 3 games.

Certainly this is an argument that plonking the thing in mid-season doesn't work.

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well it's always been the case that a World Cup has missed players due to injury. Just having it mid-season one week after the domestic leagues stop is going to induce more damage, especially as some players still have another 3 games.

Certainly this is an argument that plonking the thing in mid-season doesn't work.

I can see the point of other issues that are more important though. But when football takes the money from these countries like Qatar to own clubs,  and celebrate these clubs. Not only fans, the media especially. 

That's not just city and Newcastle. United have big sponsorship deals with companies from suspect countries, I'd imagine other clubs do also. 

Even hypocritical pundits like Gary neville who make TV programmes about Qatar and the world cup. Then takes the money to be a pundit at the world cup. 

It seems a bit rich to moan about the human rights issue. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

I can see the point of other issues that are more important though. But when football takes the money from these countries like Qatar to own clubs,  and celebrate these clubs. Not only fans, the media especially. 

That's not just city and Newcastle. United have big sponsorship deals with companies from suspect countries, I'd imagine other clubs do also. 

Even hypocritical pundits like Gary neville who make TV programmes about Qatar and the world cup. Then takes the money to be a pundit at the world cup. 

It seems a bit rich to moan about the human rights issue. 

I was more making the point about the practicalities of a mid-season World Cup. It feels like this is being done almost like any other international break, where you can just turn up a week before, play a game or two then back to the clubs, when this is meant to be the literal biggest tournament in football.

I'm perfectly aware this is a World Cup with an airports-worth of baggage attached, coming at a time when the sport seems to have taken FIFA's lead and end up getting a lot of questions asked about hypocrisy and wilful blindness to some of the characters its attracted in recent years to keep the bubble inflated. I certainly don't feel as hyped about the prospect of this World Cup as I have for previous tournaments, and more than that, I don't feel like the pre-tournament coverage is as hyped either. Many of the issues were cited in the build-up to the bid being announced and were ignored, to say nothing of what happened in 2015 when a new FIFA board was put in after Blatter was ousted but the new President and his acolytes still went "Nah the cup's staying there".

Netflix is doing a documentary about FIFA that's coming out this week but, as I saw suggested in the book The Age of Football, you could make a half-decent Breaking Bad/Wire/Sopranos style drama of anti-heroes about FIFA and indeed how they came to the decisions they did in December 2010.

Edited by charlierc

13 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think it's swings and roundabouts. I would argue that in previous world cups many of the best players have come into the tournament after a long, hard season.

28 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't feel like the pre-tournament coverage is as hyped either. 

Its not been hyped upby anyone to be honest, I've little interest myself.

There's usually the 3/4 week window from the end of the season to hyped it up. No football for a few weeks, so supporters want the summer football. Feel good factor of summer weather, with open air big screens. 

At least it won't be shown on the main stage at Glastonbury..Still miffed at Glastonbury 1998. 🤣

5 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Newcastle didn't even play that well today but were clinical and thumped Southampton. Some right goals again. We're absolutely class right now.

To think I thought we might sell Almiron over the summer after he wasn't a regular in the revival under Howe after January. He's been unstoppable this campaign. Was good as well to see Wood step up off the bench with a goal. Either that or he just loves playing at St Mary's given he (and also Bruno) scored there last season.

Some are saying it's game over for Hassenhutl and he'll likely be fired either this week or just paraded out for one final game at Liverpool before being replaced over the World Cup hiatus. Southampton didn't play too badly in fairness but they really let us off the hook with 2 chances that could've crept in at 1-0. But it is what it is.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, pink_triangle said:

I think it's swings and roundabouts. I would argue that in previous world cups many of the best players have come into the tournament after a long, hard season.

Indeed - I recall that when England put in a ton of meh performances at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups that the "it's come off the back of a long hard season" line was trotted out.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, thetime said:

There's usually the 3/4 week window from the end of the season to hyped it up. No football for a few weeks, so supporters want the summer football. Feel good factor of summer weather, with open air big screens. 

At least it won't be shown on the main stage at Glastonbury..Still miffed at Glastonbury 1998. 🤣

24 years and the negative history is still leaking the roof eh?

I feel like all the club football is drowning out attention for the World Cup as it still goes on, and as said, it could use a window's gap than just going straight in. Plus, yeah, I know its a bit Euro-centric, but it's gonna feel kinda strange having the World Cup as an autumn/winter viewing event. Hopefully nobody is silly enough to throw a mulled wine over everyone.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, thetime said:

I think there is plenty of interest in Wales. I grew up not thinking I would ever see Wales in a world cup!

5 hours ago, charlierc said:

To think I thought we might sell Almiron over the summer after he wasn't a regular in the revival under Howe after January. He's been unstoppable this campaign. Was good as well to see Wood step up off the bench with a goal. Either that or he just loves playing at St Mary's given he (and also Bruno) scored there last season.

Some are saying it's game over for Hassenhutl and he'll likely be fired either this week or just paraded out for one final game at Liverpool before being replaced over the World Cup hiatus. Southampton didn't play too badly in fairness but they really let us off the hook with 2 chances that could've crept in at 1-0. But it is what it is.

I've been one of Miggy's biggest defenders over the past 3 years and even I thought he'd be shipped off. My mate text me saying "I was wrong about your mate Miggy."

14 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I've been one of Miggy's biggest defenders over the past 3 years and even I thought he'd be shipped off. My mate text me saying "I was wrong about your mate Miggy."

I think we all were. A brace at Benfica in pre-season was a sign he might be doing better, but no way did I expect this to follow on.

It's awesome though. In a way, it's a shame we now have the World Cup to navigate as I was hoping to see Newcastle build this up.