Football 2022/23

charlierc

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Even if Germany lost last night they still would've been likely to qualify. Spain will beat Japan and Germany will thump Costa Rica.

There's still the possibility that it could come down to head-to-head between Germany and Japan tbf, which would give Germany issues.

As it is, the scenario of Germany beating Costa Rica and Japan losing to Spain is a very plausible one, and one that will likely fill Japan with huge regrets thanks to doing the hard bit in beating the Germans only to crash to the weakest team in the group.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think it may end up being Spain reserves with the goal difference the way it is, however it's a big ask for Japan to get a win. I suspect Germany will put a few past Costa Rica.

Its funny the commentator on 5live called Japan beating Costa Rica a huge shock i think that stretches the definition of huge shock!

Well if Japan beat Costa Rica now it's a huge shock given they played yesterday and very much didn't.

But yeah, if Japan beat Spain, they'll have to do something pretty special.

42 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It's funny for all the talk of unpredictability in this world cup. I have a feeling that following the group we will only lose Belgium of the favoured teams. While you may only lose 3 or 4 European teams.

One of Belgium or Croatia looks like they'll be going out, but beyond that, I'm not sure which favourites are possibly gonna be vulnerable to being upset.

Guess we'll wait and see. Australia beating Denmark to the punch would be a bit of a surprise, and if they avoid defeat, would happen.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

One of Belgium or Croatia looks like they'll be going out, but beyond that, I'm not sure which favourites are possibly gonna be vulnerable to being upset.

Guess we'll wait and see. Australia beating Denmark to the punch would be a bit of a surprise, and if they avoid defeat, would happen.

The only surprise the world needs is a 4-0 Wales win!

In all seriousness it's probably best for the tournament to have the shocks, but the favourites go through. It probably makes for a better knockout stage.

18 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The only surprise the world needs is a 4-0 Wales win!

In all seriousness it's probably best for the tournament to have the shocks, but the favourites go through. It probably makes for a better knockout stage.

Can't lie - as an English person, I'd be oddly impressed if England did get demolished by Wales. If unlikely imo.

But yeah, if nothing else the bracket is still potentially on track to give us some tasty looking ties, although it could potentially be arranged in a way where one side features bigger names than others.

Never really turned up for any of our games. 2nd half against USA showed what we're capable of but to only show that for 45 minutes of the 270 we played is poor. No complaints about the result (tonight or in the group).

Absolutely delighted to have seen us play in a World Cup, just wish we'd made more of a go of it.

8 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Never really turned up for any of our games. 2nd half against USA showed what we're capable of but to only show that for 45 minutes of the 270 we played is poor. No complaints about the result (tonight or in the group).

Absolutely delighted to have seen us play in a World Cup, just wish we'd made more of a go of it.

Disappointing, but they get out of the groups 2 out of 3 tournaments is nothing to be ashamed of, I spent my childhood dreaming of just getting there. I think after Euro 2016 Wales expectations were too high. If we qualify again we are much more likely to have another WC 22 than Euro 2016.

I think some Wales fans have been a bit unfair to Page and the players on social media. I am not sure different selection and tactics would have resulted in different outcomes. I think the best 2 in the group qualified and we would have gone out even if we beat Iran.

30 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Tactics wouldn't of changed anything.  Wales where always going to have to defend like crazy and hope to nick one.  There was a huge gulf in class between the two sides.  Wales have relied heavily on Bale and it was clear his best days where long gone.

Agreed and the reality is there is nothing to be ashamed for a country with 3 million people to rely on a once in a generation player. He managed to get us to the world cup, but couldn't make that extra step and I'm ok with that. In many ways we are fortunate the war in Ukraine split our 2 play off games apart as I'm not confident he would have got through 2 in a few days.

Wales are the smallest qualifiers with the weakest squad of the European qualifiers. Getting to this level is a success, we may not be back soon.