Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 1/11/2023 at 10:21 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Holy moly, huge opportunity for this trophy now for Newcastle.

Well Manchester City probably thought they had a bye to the final when they drew Southampton and duly fell on the banana skin. Why they felt the need to do so in a kit that was genuinely quite hard to tell apart from Southampton's current home number is another question.

But yeah. This is a hell of an opportunity that's fallen into view. Why not fucking go for it?

Just now, charlierc said:

Well Manchester City probably thought they had a bye to the final when they drew Southampton and duly fell on the banana skin. Why they felt the need to do so in a kit that was genuinely quite hard to tell apart from Southampton's current home number is another question.

But yeah. This is a hell of an opportunity that's fallen into view. Why not fucking go for it?

now you're thinking newc have got a bye.

23 hours ago, Neil said:

nah, they'll find a way to fuck it up. 😛 

Last time we were in a semi was in 2005, when we got demolished by Manchester United in the FA Cup semis while missing players to injury, Souness-imposed exile and suspension thanks to Dyer and Bowyer's ill-advised antics against Aston Villa a few weeks earlier.

After such an absence, it's nice to even be in the chat.

Just now, Neil said:

now you're thinking newc have got a bye.

Given historically Southampton is a bogey ground, I'm not going to get carried away at landing them just yet. Equally means nowt we thrashed Southampton 4-1 just before the World Cup break, even moreso given Southampton's response to that loss was to throw Hasenhuttl overboard.

50 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given historically Southampton is a bogey ground, I'm not going to get carried away at landing them just yet. Equally means nowt we thrashed Southampton 4-1 just before the World Cup break, even moreso given Southampton's response to that loss was to throw Hasenhuttl overboard.

Timing is a good advantage for you. Being knocked out of the FA Cup, gives you a free weekend between the semis. 

On 1/9/2023 at 7:49 PM, pink_triangle said:

It’s a bit of a deflating draw when you miss the premiership team twice in a row, but probably a top end of middling draw. We have a very good home record so hopefully will give it a good go.

Confirmed today that Wrexham v Sheffield United is also going to be broadcast on BBC One. Which you could argue Coventry in the last round also could've been.

35 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem with the alternative is it then goes down to the opinion of the referee on the day and then you end up with inconsistent outcomes every week.  And then you moan again 🙂

You could have the view point that ANY player in an offside position results in an offside call..  but then you have the madness of a player on the other side of the pitch striking the goal off and the game is a lot more stop start.

Its age old thing of - you can't please all of the people all of the time 🙂 

The current approach seems to me the best...  and in the end its the same for both sides.

Nah, when you're offside and the ball is literally under your feet you're offside. Silly stuff. 

Player is effecting the defensive shape and therefore interfering with play.

Anyway Ill take it. Huge improvements under Ten Hag.

On 1/13/2023 at 6:41 PM, charlierc said:

Confirmed today that Wrexham v Sheffield United is also going to be broadcast on BBC One. Which you could argue Coventry in the last round also could've been.

I will hopeful get to watch it live again, but getting Wrexham tickets is a nightmare for people who live away and don’t have a season ticket like me!

4 hours ago, thetime said:

Newcastle should be getting top 4 this season. Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea are shocking.

I won't relax until the job is done but we are very much in the driving seat for it, which is pretty remarkable.

Spurs I think are the likeliest of that three to pose a threat but their passiveness is pretty bizarre, as is Conte's willingness to throw his players under the bus rather than acknowledge they don't start games well enough. Liverpool and Chelsea are absolutely underperforming, between Liverpool's creaking midfield filtering into defensive instability, and Chelsea seemingly just buying everyone on a whim without knowing what to do with them.

We absolutely rode our luck today as while it was a debatable penalty, Mitrovic's kick-against-the-other-leg penalty is the first time I've seen something like that in about five years. Was super unusual. But our defensive work has been pretty impeccable.