Football 2022/23

charlierc

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is it really, you can't actually rig football matches to ensure those bigger teams make the finals of the competitions, but you can pull the ladder up. 

Newcastle are doing it right, learning from our mistakes of course, but also using the money to buy the right players and not those with the big names, while investing in proper scouting etc. It's good to see.

Are you sure.

I've seen countless absolutely ridiculous decisions made by VAR, completely baffling and beyond comprehension.

Nearly always, if not actually always, in favour of the bigger teams.

The recent Rashford not offside because he wasn't affecting play was ludicrous.

9 hours ago, lost said:

Elsewhere £500m by Chelsea in little over 6 months feels like football spending is starting another leg up. I'm not sure there is a level of owners above the ones we already have? The other leagues must be pulling their hair out.

I mean La Liga have been very quick to slag off the Premier League and they've been quick to oblige: La Liga director bemoans 'cheating' Premier League clubs after 'barbaric' winter spending (football365.com)

The fact Chelsea spent more than Ligue 1, Serie A, La Liga and Bundesliga clubs combined is bizarre, and feels like a bit of an extreme strategy, particularly given how much of this outlay has gone on players in their early 20's as essentially a high stakes bet on future potential, rather than necessarily addressing the fact they are over-reliant on full-backs Reece James and Ben Chilwell staying fit and can never seem to find a reliable striker.

Even for the Premier League and its cash rich way of living, spending over £500million in two windows is bananas and it is a surprise they think this can somehow be FFP compliant thanks to amortising the fuck out of it. Maybe it'll work, or maybe it'll be a high spending version of AC Milan, who tried this in 2017 and duly got a UEFA ban for breaking FFP.

16 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Even for the Premier League and its cash rich way of living, spending over £500million in two windows is bananas and it is a surprise they think this can somehow be FFP compliant thanks to amortising the fuck out of it. Maybe it'll work, or maybe it'll be a high spending version of AC Milan, who tried this in 2017 and duly got a UEFA ban for breaking FFP.

FFP doesn't apply to big PL clubs (see Man City)

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Short of assassinating the Glazers, how could they have changed things? Thousands of us gave up our season tickets and never went back. Unfortunately, there were thousands more to take our place!

Nothing changed cos utd fans still supported glazer utd. 

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Are you sure.

I've seen countless absolutely ridiculous decisions made by VAR, completely baffling and beyond comprehension.

Nearly always, if not actually always, in favour of the bigger teams.

The recent Rashford not offside because he wasn't affecting play was ludicrous.

About 4 hours ago you said "I've stopped watching football"?????

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

About 4 hours ago you said "I've stopped watching football"?????

I have, BUT only very recently and unfortunately I'm yet to manage to stop following it.

Hopefully that will be next, as I'm sick to death of the way it's going, become effectively pointless at the top level.

It's a struggle binning off a 50 year old addiction, but I must try as it's badly affecting my mental health.

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Genuinely don't understand that point, I thought it was brought in for the opposite, i.e. make more competition.

Nothing happens without the ok of the teams at the top. How would it increase competition? It means squads who already had an advantage would keep the advantage and others couldn’t close the gap. It effectively protected the establishment.

Really impossible/difficult situation the Mason Greenwood one. On the one hand, he has not been charged/found guilty of any offence so we should be going by innocent until proven guilty, but given the nature of the alleged crimes and the fact that audio/pictures have been seen in relation to it, Man Utd can't really let him play for the club again.

15 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Really impossible/difficult situation the Mason Greenwood one. On the one hand, he has not been charged/found guilty of any offence so we should be going by innocent until proven guilty, but given the nature of the alleged crimes and the fact that audio/pictures have been seen in relation to it, Man Utd can't really let him play for the club again.

When they talk about key witnesses withdrawing from a millionaire footballer prosecution. I suspect many of will have suspicions about what caused those witnesses to withdraw.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When they talk about key witnesses withdrawing from a millionaire footballer prosecution. I suspect many of will have suspicions about what caused those witnesses to withdraw.

His girlfriend has continued to follow him on social media throughout and I remember the particularly distasteful reaction from her dad shortly after all of the allegations came out which absolutely reeked off a man desperate to keep the gravy train going. 

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

plenty of people have been cancelled for much less.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:00 PM, Skip997 said:

I have, BUT only very recently and unfortunately I'm yet to manage to stop following it.

Hopefully that will be next, as I'm sick to death of the way it's going, become effectively pointless at the top level.

It's a struggle binning off a 50 year old addiction, but I must try as it's badly affecting my mental health.

I'm sure you will be back in love with it, once liverpool start winning again.

14 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

I assume Utd will either terminate the contract or let him rot on the sidelines until the contract runs out. Given the audio of what he did is out there, i dont really see a way back for him in the UK ( rightly). Saying that, im sure some scummy League 1/2 club may give him a chance

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

I assume Utd will either terminate the contract or let him rot on the sidelines until the contract runs out. Given the audio of what he did is out there, i dont really see a way back for him in the UK ( rightly). Saying that, im sure some scummy League 1/2 club may give him a chance

I had a bet with two of my mates of £100 each that he would not appear in the PL again. Yesterday's news makes it a lot more likely that it will happen, but it'll be a brave club that takes the punt. I also fully believe if this was McTominay or any other lesser talented player at United then the contract would probably have been terminated quite soon after the news broke, but Greenwood is a £100M+ asset.

19 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

I had a bet with two of my mates of £100 each that he would not appear in the PL again. Yesterday's news makes it a lot more likely that it will happen, but it'll be a brave club that takes the punt. I also fully believe if this was McTominay or any other lesser talented player at United then the contract would probably have been terminated quite soon after the news broke, but Greenwood is a £100M+ asset.

He was a 100m asset, but i dont really see any club of championship level or above taking on that headache. ( and there will be a headache, even though charges arent being pressed, theres audio out there with what happened)

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

He was a 100m asset, but i dont really see any club of championship level or above taking on that headache. ( and there will be a headache, even though charges arent being pressed, theres audio out there with what happened)

someone took on the player accused of rape (i forget his name). clubs want good player, if it takes something like this for that good player to be available, a club will take him on.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

someone took on the player accused of rape (i forget his name). clubs want good player, if it takes something like this for that good player to be available, a club will take him on.

Do you mean Ched Evans? He had to go below his natural level from memory, however then worked up. I think Sunderland kept playing Adam Johnson until he pleaded guilty.

39 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Do you mean Ched Evans?

yeah, that was the geezer.

40 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

He had to go below his natural level

a club spotted a bargain.

23 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

If I'm honest I thought Manchester United had actually cancelled his contract in the wake of the original photos/videos the girl shared on Instagram rather than actually suspended him.

A few have shared this opinion, including fans I know of Man United, but I do think that if I was a Man United fan, I would be deeply uncomfortable at the idea of him playing for the club again. Same goes if a club I follow was trying to sign him.

The other thing is that the standard of proof for these internal investigations/another club exploring the possibility of signing Greenwood is a lot lower than the CPS need for a prosecution. The only proof really needed is that he was on the audio recording and then that should be that.

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

The other thing is that the standard of proof for these internal investigations/another club exploring the possibility of signing Greenwood is a lot lower than the CPS need for a prosecution. The only proof really needed is that he was on the audio recording and then that should be that.

I would refuse to go if he signed for my team, I think many would feel the same.