Football 2022/23

charlierc

16 hours ago, Neil said:

for that '99 title race, they hadn't won a titlefor however many decades it was. 😛 

And? 

16 hours ago, Neil said:

if they were regular winners they'd be thought of as contenders, if theyre not regular winners - they were the no-where i said they were.

So you're saying that winning 5 trophies in 4yrs is nowhere? Yes or no? 

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I'd been worried about hearing this when the initial declaration he'd been rescued was retracted. One thing he played for my favourite club but more or less the same age as me as well, and a parent whose family I can only have sympathies for. Just an awfully sad story.

So sad. Didn't see much of him at the bridge but seemed a well-liked guy. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Bad times.

Said it for a long time, clubs should go the German model and be 51% fan owned.

We are where we are with the shrinking demographic that can own Premier League football clubs. I'd like to see one try it to prove it can succeed with this model in England, but it feels like majority fan-owned clubs peak at League One in the English football ecosystem.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

We are where we are with the shrinking demographic that can own Premier League football clubs. I'd like to see one try it to prove it can succeed with this model in England, but it feels like majority fan-owned clubs peak at League One in the English football ecosystem.

What I find crazy is the premier league is the richest in world football. But have to rely on multi billionaires to get success. 

1 hour ago, Celery said:

Wrong. Chelsea won loads of trophies in that period. Spurs have won sod all for 15yrs. 

Chelsea went decades without winning anything. And it wasn't unusual for them, cos they were nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Celery said:

Did I really have to explain that? 

The list of Chelsea wins before roman is pretty tiny. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

What I find crazy is the premier league is the richest in world football. But have to rely on multi billionaires to get success. 

It's that vicious/virtuous circle where more money creates more money and then creates even more money, leading to the rest needing more money to keep up.

I'm more surprised that Qatar, deep-pocketed as it is, has the cash to bid for another big sporting superclub jewel to go with PSG (assuming they're not planning to dump that project). Same in a way with the guy from Ineos given the cash they're throwing at America's Cup sailing, being a stakeholder in Mercedes F1 and Nice, although locals in France aren't glowing of their ownership of the latter.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Chelsea went decades without winning anything. And it wasn't unusual for them, cos they were nowhere. 

The list of Chelsea wins before roman is pretty tiny. 

You're changing your argument now, presumably because you know it is rubbish. 

5 trophies in 4years is 'nowhere' according to you. 

You also have to go back to the 30s and 40s to find 'decades' without a trophy. Another myth busted. 

Any more ill-informed 'facts' you need me to correct?

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Don’t they have the same model in Germany where the same team wins the league every season ?

Tbf Real Madrid and Barcelona use a socios model where club members elect the board, and it usually takes a miracle for La Liga to won by somebody other than those two. To say nothing of their boardroom level partnership against the rest of the league to keep having things their way or force through the ESL.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Karius, what could go wrong!

What a bizarre situation we're in. Pope is suspended, Dubravka can't play due to playing in the Carabao for Manchester United in a loan move that frankly didn't work for anyone, Darlow got loaned to Hull (and is apparently yet to play for them) and so we're stuck with Karius, who is actually yet to play a game for Newcastle since signing a short-term deal in October.

This game felt like a missed opportunity as well given Liverpool's defence was surprisingly pliable even after we went down to ten, and we could have scored, but when the first 30 was that much of a disaster, little wonder the rest of it wasn't an improvement. Obviously we're not gonna win every game - 17 games unbeaten is a great streak - but something's not looked right since the turn of the year.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

What a bizarre situation we're in. Pope is suspended, Dubravka can't play due to playing in the Carabao for Manchester United in a loan move that frankly didn't work for anyone, Darlow got loaned to Hull (and is apparently yet to play for them) and so we're stuck with Karius, who is actually yet to play a game for Newcastle since signing a short-term deal in October.

This game felt like a missed opportunity as well given Liverpool's defence was surprisingly pliable even after we went down to ten, and we could have scored, but when the first 30 was that much of a disaster, little wonder the rest of it wasn't an improvement. Obviously we're not gonna win every game - 17 games unbeaten is a great streak - but something's not looked right since the turn of the year.

Big miss, karius will give you a 10/10 or a 3/10 especially as he has not played a competitive game for 2 years. I would of put you faves before today with man utd schedule and a big 2nd leg against barca on thursday night. 

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Flaw in the system in my view. I don’t think red cards in the league should stop you playing in the cup.

hey pt your millionaires where meant to go easy on us today. 😛 

12 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

That's Newcastle United's hopes of winning the League Cup gone. What on earth was Pope thinking. That bizarre loan move for Dubravka seeming even weirder now. Our form has taken a huge dip this past month and Man U picked up. Only heading one way unfortunately.

Isn’t it just regression to the mean. Liverpool beat Newcastle today and will probably finish above in the league, but that’s what you would expect from respective team/squad.