Football 2022/23

charlierc

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The attack has definitely been a problem since the World Cup break. All those draws since then have been the sign of us lacking something in comparison to the team that scored 4 at Fulham, 4 against Villa and 5 v Brentford. Equally, concede 2 soft goals and you give yourself a hard task to overcome that.

I don't think Karius was necessarily the worst part tbh. For me, the defence didn't have a good game - Trippier's set-pieces weren't the best plus Rashford is just bloody good, Schar looked rough after his head injury, Botman had a day of misfortune and Burn has looked in need of a rest for a few games.

Nevermind.

I felt like Botman looked like the occasion got to him. He got wound up by the little dirty cheeky moments man u players were doing and you keep seeing referenced as a Newcastle thing atm

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought man Utd deserved to win, but they have better players and spent a lot of money to get them, so that’s not a surprise. When I watch Newcastle they generally look solid, but a bit lacking in terms of end product.

I'd genuinely thought Casemiro went there for a final big paycheck, but he was imperious.

Bruno Guimares gets in that man u team though. He was outstanding yet again.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I felt like Botman looked like the occasion got to him. He got wound up by the little dirty cheeky moments man u players were doing and you keep seeing referenced as a Newcastle thing atm

They all do it, Newcastle was letting  Martinez wind them up. 😊

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd genuinely thought Casemiro went there for a final big paycheck, but he was imperious.

Bruno Guimares gets in that man u team though. He was outstanding yet again.

Maybe the decisive moment wasn't so much Rashford's injury being exaggerated so much as Casemiro getting sent off one game too soon. Indeed that was a factor when they lost at Arsenal when Casemiro was suspended.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

Maybe the decisive moment wasn't so much Rashford's injury being exaggerated so much as Casemiro getting sent off one game too soon. Indeed that was a factor when they lost at Arsenal when Casemiro was suspended.

I never really believed Rashford wasn't going to play.

Regardless, to win trophies, while you need a bit of luck, it's more important to sort your own team out and be able to beat what's in front of you.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I never really believed Rashford wasn't going to play.

Regardless, to win trophies, while you need a bit of luck, it's more important to sort your own team out and be able to beat what's in front of you.

I wanted to believe he might miss out given he had injury problems a lot last season but was prepared for the possibility it was a ruse. So that's one bit of luck that didn't fall our way.

But this was a game where whomever scored first was likely to deploy all the gamesmanship and shithousery in the book. Sure enough, that's what we got. Just didn't have enough to break down the defence, but equally caused ourselves bother by ending up 2-0 down to begin with.

I don't really think it's a "Oh look at us having a long drought" thing either - sure, for a club as historically efficient in trophy gathering as Manchester United, six years is a little while, but it's not quite the same itch to scratch that is ending a drought stretching back to the 1960's.

9 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't really think it's a "Oh look at us having a long drought" thing either - sure, for a club as historically efficient in trophy gathering as Manchester United, six years is a little while, but it's not quite the same itch to scratch that is ending a drought stretching back to the 1960's.

United have had longer droughts than this, we still crave the 3 big ones though(league, champions league and FA Cup). 

15 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I wanted to believe he might miss out given he had injury problems a lot last season but was prepared for the possibility it was a ruse. So that's one bit of luck that didn't fall our way.

But this was a game where whomever scored first was likely to deploy all the gamesmanship and shithousery in the book. Sure enough, that's what we got. Just didn't have enough to break down the defence, but equally caused ourselves bother by ending up 2-0 down to begin with.

It's also completely different when you support a club from where you grew up, and have memories of excitedly going to at 5/6/7 years old, with the entire city buzzing, Vs a club you picked at 9/10 from across the country cos they win everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, thetime said:

We've done that for 10 years to be honest, it's only now things seem to be looking up after investing properly.

Getting rid of Pogba, lingard and ronaldo been the change as well. 

Been night and day since Maguire and McTominey were dropped for Varane and Casemiro too. Huge upgrade.

50 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Been night and day since Maguire and McTominey were dropped for Varane and Casemiro too. Huge upgrade.

You’ve just reminded me…was talking to a Man U fan in Dublin last year after the Scotland game and he said……Scotland and Man U will win nothing while they persevere with McTominay in the team.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Last thing we need is another know-it-all Irish fan.......

This just gives me flashbacks to being on a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead at 2am on the way home from a family holiday in Ireland, and the ferry being full of Irish Man United fans heading to Old Trafford for a game that day who talked the whole fecking way when the rest of boat was trying to nap.

One takeaway I remember was one of them suggesting Newcastle as a dark horse for Europe that season. A campaign where we got relegated thanks to Steve McClaren managing some truly dreadful results for a squad with some proper talents, so... great predictions there.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

In fairness Scotland aren’t winning anything with any combination of Scottish players.

Indeed. For your benefit, I don’t expect Scotland to win the World Cup with or without McTominay. 

I reckon he’s more likely to keep getting a game for Scotland of the two but hopefully not at the back.

Bloody hell

"Sources told The Athletic that ‘United may seek to frame him as a young man who has made mistakes and is remorseful for his actions, while also believing they have a responsibility to help rehabilitate a player who has been on the club’s books since the age of six’."

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-firmly-consider-mason-greenwood-return-ten-hag-conversation

On 3/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, zahidf said:

Bloody hell

"Sources told The Athletic that ‘United may seek to frame him as a young man who has made mistakes and is remorseful for his actions, while also believing they have a responsibility to help rehabilitate a player who has been on the club’s books since the age of six’."

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-firmly-consider-mason-greenwood-return-ten-hag-conversation

Good article on the Athletic today about how he won’t play because the audio/visual won’t go away, we all know if it was a Mctominay level player Man U wouldn’t even be considering bringing him back. To me the worst case scenario for Man U is bringing him back and then having to reverse course because of the pressure.

The only certain way of avoiding that scenario is not playing him. They probably just need to keep paying him or come to a deal with him

just reading this about bobby

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/mar/04/roberto-firmino-smiling-hero-liverpool-klopp

fantastic player who had fantastic stats in germany before liverpool signed him,. thaNks for the smiles bobby. 😄 

Edited by Neil