Football 2022/23

charlierc

48 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fulham have played 3 more than Brighton, 2 more then Brentford. Although would be good if one of those 3 clinched a European place. 

4. Liverpool 

5. Spurs

6. Brighton 

7. Newcastle 

Would be my guess. 

Although Newcastle need to turn it around quick, bottom of last 6 form table. 

Well yeah, we need to score some bloody goals if we're going to do better, given our form since Christmas has been generally poor in that department. A few difficult ones are coming up, mind, given Wolves have recently beaten Spurs and Liverpool, Nottingham Forest have a very good home record (in comparison to a truly terrible away one), Manchester United are probably not going to be as abysmal as they were at Anfield, and we then have 3 away games in a row after hosting Ten Hag et all. Hopefully if we can win one, it'll kick-start something better.

I'd prefer it tbf if Brighton put their energy into winning the FA Cup, which they have a brilliant chance to do, although given the two Manchester clubs still lurk, I suspect one of those two will win it and that it could well be easier to get a European place via the league.

It's still got potential to be quite the unpredictable battle tbf. If not quite as open as the relegation zone given everyone in the bottom half bar 11th place Aston Villa could go down.

Edited by charlierc

On 3/6/2023 at 3:59 PM, DareToDibble said:

He is a great player but when things get tough he can be a bit of a disgrace. He had a couple of bad dives, kept flinging his arms up in the area and stropping but the worst one of all for me was when Bajcetic went by him, he just stopped. Didn't even bother jogging back at least, nothing. Hope EtH drops him for the next game as punishment.

On us... we're seem to be finding some form now, not conceded in 5 PL games (though we've been lucky not to in some of those). From memory we have a pretty tough run coming up soon though which will pretty much decide where we finish in the table.

Played walking football today. The man yoo fans who play with us got one hell of a ribbing. 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Part of the course, take your good times and the bad. Glad I'm off work for 3 weeks. 🤣 

the magnificent seven, is it a film about cowboys, a river, or a football match?

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Wolves should stay up. They have a decent manager, generally look good when I see them, just don’t have a forward! Still Southampton, Leeds and Bournemouth for me.

Scoring might cost them in the end, least amount of goals in the league. 

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Could do, but I don’t see goals in those 3 teams either.

Certainly interesting down there, Palace not winning in 2023 could be one of them to go. 

Brighton and Arsenal away there next 2 league games. 

23 hours ago, thetime said:

Wolves don't get much luck with VAR do they. 

A few suggested the incident with Jimenez and Pope was instigated by the Wolves striker jumping into Pope, or played the what-about game as we had an equally valid penalty shout rejected in the reverse fixture at Molineux.

I can be sympathetic tbf as I think that if it was at the other end, I'd have wanted it given, plus we clearly aren't learning that Pope is not exactly the best at playing out from the back. That, and if it is given as a penalty, I doubt VAR is overturning it.

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think Wolves should stay up. They have a decent manager, generally look good when I see them, just don’t have a forward! Still Southampton, Leeds and Bournemouth for me.

Five points split the bottom 9, so I think calling it one way or another is difficult. From what I saw yesterday having watched Wolves, they do a lot right but their strikers just keep letting them down. Thing Hwang's goal was the first a striker scored in a PL game for a whole year, and they are still the league's lowest scorers. But I do think when the final whistle of the final game is blown that there'll be 3 worse teams.

Who those 3 are, I don't know. In such a close fight, anyone could still make a case that they are staying up.

11 hours ago, thetime said:

Leeds, Everton and Palace would be tasty. 

Crystal Palace going down is an odd one given that in the first half of the season, it seemed as though they'd successfully absorbed the loss of Gallagher back to Chelsea, and since the World Cup, they've just collapsed. Most of their games are just one goal losses or a bounce against them - not least in conceding a 97th minute equaliser at Brentford - but they just seem to have stalled.

Leicester being relegated would be an almighty surprise given they've got some exceptional players, yet their defence has seemingly just been woeful all season.

38 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Crystal Palace going down is an odd one given that in the first half of the season, it seemed as though they'd successfully absorbed the loss of Gallagher back to Chelsea, and since the World Cup, they've just collapsed. Most of their games are just one goal losses or a bounce against them - not least in conceding a 97th minute equaliser at Brentford - but they just seem to have stalled.

Leicester being relegated would be an almighty surprise given they've got some exceptional players, yet their defence has seemingly just been woeful all season.

Leicester always look shaky and always feel sorry for Danny Ward (think he might be a good Championship keeper though).

On 3/5/2023 at 7:21 PM, thetime said:

Yeah spurs being spurs again. There liverpool's only competition. Newcastle will be scraping for 7th or 8th and can not see Fulham or Brighton putting to much competition. 

Liverpool getting it together at the right time.

...and then we went back to being shite again 😞 

What do you guys think of the Mason Greenwood situation currently? With his release and all charges dropped. 

Hakimi charged with rape and no suspension from PSG, also been called up for Morocco for the internationals. No out cry for him to get suspended, no booing him at the recent Bayern v PSG.

Also the other alleged rumours of the Arsenal midfielder being investigated for rape, Kyle walker flashing. 

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

What do you guys think of the Mason Greenwood situation currently? With his release and all charges dropped. . 

I actually think he'll end up playing though its one huge mess, you can see why charges were dropped when she was around his house getting knocked up whilst waiting to goto trial. I don't know if its true but I read on the internet that the issue was the women's team threatening to strike if he plays?

On a similar subject there was an interview with a certain Icelandic internationals dad who said he's currently not been charged with anything but under a travel ban and so can't leave the country and is stuck in limbo. That's been dragging on nearly two years now.