Football 2022/23

charlierc

I still find it quite something that there was stories of a reasonably popular comedy musical by some of the people behind Father Ted chronicling the 2002 World Cup Keane walkout as the break-up of a Roman legion.

It also intrigues me as well, as per a rather good YouTube mini-documentary I found, about how it lead to the rise of John Delaney, whose role in Irish football didn't exactly go well for anyone.

10 hours ago, charlierc said:

I still find it quite something that there was stories of a reasonably popular comedy musical by some of the people behind Father Ted chronicling the 2002 World Cup Keane walkout as the break-up of a Roman legion.

It also intrigues me as well, as per a rather good YouTube mini-documentary I found, about how it lead to the rise of John Delaney, whose role in Irish football didn't exactly go well for anyone.

Amateur hour gave birth to clown hour

8 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

So...  no beer at the World Cup... 

One thing I find curious is that there were stories ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil that FIFA lobbied Brazil to overturn a ban on selling alcohol in stadiums so Budweiser could sell their products. Yet two tournaments later and after FIFA makes a big song and dance about having the right to be selling alcohol, it's been restricted to fan-parks (at £12 a Budweiser bottle) and corporate sections, enough to make you wonder why FIFA has made such a big song and dance of this to begin with.

28 minutes ago, charlierc said:

One thing I find curious is that there were stories ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil that FIFA lobbied Brazil to overturn a ban on selling alcohol in stadiums so Budweiser could sell their products. Yet two tournaments later and after FIFA makes a big song and dance about having the right to be selling alcohol, it's been restricted to fan-parks (at £12 a Budweiser bottle) and corporate sections, enough to make you wonder why FIFA has made such a big song and dance of this to begin with.

I find the corporate sections incredibly distasteful.

"Respect our culture, unless you're rich."

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I'm aware FIFA's President was going to defend the decision to still be pressing on with Qatar, but this is quite the gambit.

if you feel disabled try going to a football match in a wheelchair.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

France now without Benzema, Kante, Pogba, nkunku, maignan and kimpembe because of injuries. That's pretty harsh for one of the favourites. At least Griezmann should be fresh playing 20 minutes a game.

I mean, if nothing else, recent logic means they should be out in the group stage given how well it went for France in 2002, Italy in 2010, Spain in 2014 and Germany in 2018. The sheer quantity of absences does give them issues though.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Bbc presenters preaching while taking a salary....  shouldn't of gone if you feel this strongly...

All the protesting and gestures from the media and players looks a bit knowing you should protest, but not really having the inclination to go through with it. Saying that if I was a footballer, I probably would end up doing the same. 

BBC international coverage has really gone downhill in recent years and now comfortably overtaken by ITV. The Lineker/Shearer combo has got very stale and both clearly know very little about anything outside the premier league/champions league nor have bothered to do much research.

Favourite Lineker quote today was if you are good enough to reach the quarter finals, you can win the whole thing. I would argue Russia, Uruguay and Sweden had close to zero chance of winning the last world cup 

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Favourite Lineker quote today was if you are good enough to reach the quarter finals, you can win the whole thing. I would argue Russia, Uruguay and Sweden had close to zero chance of winning the last world cup 

I mean, I'd like a first time winner of the World Cup to appear and as much as Uruguay aren't that, I think there's a situation where they could've snuck the last tournament. But they were on the stronger side of the 2018 bracket with France, Brazil and Belgium, so would've needed to really raise their game to do that.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, I'd like a first time winner of the World Cup to appear and as much as Uruguay aren't that, I think there's a situation where they could've snuck the last tournament. But they were on the stronger side of the 2018 bracket with France, Brazil and Belgium, so would've needed to really raise their game to do that.

I thought France and Belgium were quite a bit ahead of everyone in that world cup. I think even England or Croatia winning would have been quite a big surprise.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I thought France and Belgium were quite a bit ahead of everyone in that world cup. I think even England or Croatia winning would have been quite a big surprise.

I can see that. Certainly if Belgium were going to win the World Cup at any point with their recent crop of talents, the last one felt like the time to do it.

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would imagine most people are... and I would imagine the better England do the more the pretend moral outrage disappears...

Ain't no pretend moral outrage from me. Apart from ... well you know the facts, I can't stand International football and I ain't English. I hope they go out in the group stage, although highly unlikely.