Football 2022/23

charlierc

36 minutes ago, Neil said:

i reckon Qatar will be willing buyers in about 3 weeks

Eh. I know the multi-club thing is increasing in the wake of the City Football Group project, but that tends to be one super-club at the centre with lots of smaller satellite operations. Somehow I suspect PSG and Man United might be too big to be one another's satellite.

48 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Eh. I know the multi-club thing is increasing in the wake of the City Football Group project, but that tends to be one super-club at the centre with lots of smaller satellite operations. Somehow I suspect PSG and Man United might be too big to be one another's satellite.

I'd forgotten that Qatar already had psg, I was thinking Prem as rem clubs were talked of for sale. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/22/german-football-federation-legal-action-fifa-onelove-armband-ban-world-cup

So the German team are losing sponsorship due to their cowardice (good), and are now threatening Fifa with legal action to cover that loss of revenue (good).

Hit them where it hurts, in their fat greedy wallets.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Would be great if a country outside Europe and S America won it for once.

Won't happen in my lifetime I don't think. One-off shocks happen every world cup, but those teams never get past the quarter finals. USA or one of the African nations might win it one day, but not for decades.

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

But who untied fans blame for being shut now ? 😜 

I do think the criticism of the glazers has been over the top.  United have always had the resources to compete but just did a poor job of it

Isn't that down to the glazers though? Signing players to sell shirts. Ageing players like Falcao, zlatan, ronaldo, cavani because of there name. Signing players with no idea how they fit into a team, due to being a big name(pogba, Di maria).

It's also the lack of upgrade on old trafford and Carrington. 

Going for managers past there sell by date, louis and jose for example. Going for an ax player with mo real experience, going for a guy as his replacement who well was not even a coach. 

In the face of it, they have spent enough but no logical signings. ETH seems to be moving away from that though, made good signings. 

Hopefully if they do sell it won't be from the middle East and all that bollox. We are United, not some piss pot club. On the face of it Sir Jim Ratcliffe looks the best fit, rather than what's been banded about. 

Edited by thetime

48 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It seems Belgium have peaked. You look at the last 3 tournament and they should have at least made a final.

Belgium remind me of England at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Talented players past their prime who never quite achieved their potential on the international stage - and this is just one tournament too far.

21 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Belgium remind me of England at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Talented players past their prime who never quite achieved their potential on the international stage - and this is just one tournament too far.

I think they have also had a bit of bad luck. In the last 3 tournaments they have always been in the same half of draw as the eventual winner. 

14 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Canada this year. You watch.

I mean, they did give it a proper good shot. Shame for them that when they did actually get stuff on target, Belgium have Courtois, who seems to be one of their only players who isn't looking over the hill.

Could give Croatia a good game on Sunday though. And also quite something that it arguably would've been more deserved than Saudi or Japan's shock results (not to downplay those two - both did excellent jobs).