Football 2022/23

charlierc

On 11/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, Skip997 said:

It's good, should be happening in the PL, might just make players think about time wasting.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, Skip997 said:

People are actually watching this?

First World cup ever where I haven't seen any flags of any nation on houses or cars, even more surprising- I haven't seen one pub or bar promoting it.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Come on USA

obviously not watching this then skippy ? 

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

England where shit...  I think the setup was all wrong.  As soon as we brought on Henderson and sorted out that midfield England gained control.  Why did it take 65 mins for Southgate to realise the obvious FFS...

Now have to get something out of the Welsh game...  

I am amazed they kept a straight face when they announced England had qualified assuming they don't lose by 4 goals to Wales!

It was a dull game, but ultimately England playing well against Iran and mediocre today will both have zero impact on how England do in the knockouts. 

I found it a bit strange USA not going for that free kick in the last minute. From my perspective it was worth the gamble,as they need to beat Iran to qualify if they lose or draw against England.

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

USA need a decent striker

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

So do England

Story of the whole thing imo. Was a fairly stodgy game overall but when both sides got up to the box, they duly fluffed their lines.

US looked likelier to win it. England still had a few at the end to nick it but what worked against Iran just didn't here. They're still on track for the knockouts and those set to progress from Group A whom England will play in the first knockout round also look similarly inconsistent, but this was a way to puncture the optimism a bit like how the Scotland game at last year's Euros did.

20 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Sickening way to lose, brings back memories of England in Euro 2016, although don't think this tournament will have a happy ending like that one! Looks to me one tournament too far for Bale and Ramsey, glad they at least got one world cup in.

I couldn't help but wonder in the aftermath of the Wales v Iran game yesterday that certain Wales players such as Bale and Ramsey might have given a better account of themselves at Russia 2018, given they were on the high from the unexpected majesty showed at Euro 2016 and obviously were 4 years younger, but also had bodies less battered by injuries and were playing regularly at the highest level. As it was I'm bemused Ireland swiped a play-off place ahead of them given how much the Irish team has been in decline since John Delaney came in.

US v Iran on Tuesday feels like it might be the more interesting game to watch tbh.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I couldn't help but wonder in the aftermath of the Wales v Iran game yesterday that certain Wales players such as Bale and Ramsey might have given a better account of themselves at Russia 2018, given they were on the high from the unexpected majesty showed at Euro 2016 and obviously were 4 years younger, but also had bodies less battered by injuries and were playing regularly at the highest level. As it was I'm bemused Ireland swiped a play-off place ahead of them given how much the Irish team has been in decline since John Delaney came in.

US v Iran on Tuesday feels like it might be the more interesting game to watch tbh.

I think only Moore makes our 2016 team, maybe Davies (2022) is better than 2016, but I think they are pretty similar. A lot of Wales fans are moaning more than they would if we hadn't qualified. I think expectations were too high with this squad.

Overall it's a tough group and I think the only one where all teams are top 20 ranked. It's also a disappointing draw to get England, seeing play era I see every week. I wanted Brazil or Argentina!!

Many Wales fans saying we drop Bale against England, but I think that's mad. I can easily see Iran and USA drawing as both look like they struggle for end product. However our slim chance of beating England needs us to score and a Bale free kick is one of the most likely ways of doing this 

18 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

The real stuff is on this weekend. Scottish cup! Hopefully Morton can pap out Queen of the South and then look to cause some shocks.

On a tangentially related note, I did note BBC One is taking a break from the World Cup today to show 2 FA Cup Second Round ties instead, with ITV doing likewise tomorrow.

Imagine the complaints from people who dislike football if this was still an age when that was your lot for TV viewing options.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think only Moore makes our 2016 team, maybe Davies (2022) is better than 2016, but I think they are pretty similar. A lot of Wales fans are moaning more than they would if we hadn't qualified. I think expectations were too high with this squad.

Overall it's a tough group and I think the only one where all teams are top 20 ranked. It's also a disappointing draw to get England, seeing play era I see every week. I wanted Brazil or Argentina!!

Many Wales fans saying we drop Bale against England, but I think that's mad. I can easily see Iran and USA drawing as both look like they struggle for end product. However our slim chance of beating England needs us to score and a Bale free kick is one of the most likely ways of doing this 

I mean, it's difficult really. Maybe there was just the hope of something more, but like ya say, this is a hard group for all the teams in it.

And yeah given England played Wales at Euro 2016, I can imagine that probably adds to sense of repetition on top of the fact it's full of players you're seeing all the time anyway.