Football 2022/23

charlierc

I mean, for all my reservations about this being in Qatar in the first place or struggling with the uncanny valley of watching the World Cup with a Christmas tree in the living room, no wonder football has so many people hanging onto it when it produces games that bloody good.

Not something I saw coming tbf given that at the 75 minute mark I was getting bored given France seemed to have either reached a game too far for a squad missing so many talented injured players or hadn't recovered from the illness that had sidelined multiple people between the semi and this. And yet, here we are.

Best team won the final, but quite something to see them take the long way round to get there.

• Like 1

I struggle to make my mind up if the officials did a good job in this game. In general I thought he let the game flow and got the diving yellow card right. In my head all 3 penalties were harsh, but that's probably more down to what I think should be a penalty. The VAR team didn't overturn any.

I know it's a small sample size, but I thought the world cup would be better for being played in the winter and I haven't convinced myself I am wrong.

Thoroughly enjoyed this world cup.  My lad loves his footie - he's 9; over the Euros last year and the WC, it has been a great chance to really share it with him.  Have managed to get tickets for England v Ukraine in the Euro24 qualifiers for his birthday - he's going to go nuts. (Had tickets for the Ivory Coast friendly earlier in the year, but he had Covid).

3 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed this world cup.  My lad loves his footie - he's 9; over the Euros last year and the WC, it has been a great chance to really share it with him.  Have managed to get tickets for England v Ukraine in the Euro24 qualifiers for his birthday - he's going to go nuts. (Had tickets for the Ivory Coast friendly earlier in the year, but he had Covid).

enjoy, the best i got to share with my lad were snippets of glastonbury worked out ok in the end  -  we've managed to  remain close, looking forwards to his visit over xmas. 🙂 

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Bet the Saudis must be even more bewildered as to how they followed that up by losing to a generally poor Polish side.

I don't think Poland are particularly poor, they are a middle of the pack world cup team who will generally get to the last 16 and then go out. I doubt there are many Saudi Arabia players that would make the Poland team. I think Saudi v Argentina was just a freak result.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:09 PM, pink_triangle said:

I don't think Poland are particularly poor, they are a middle of the pack world cup team who will generally get to the last 16 and then go out. I doubt there are many Saudi Arabia players that would make the Poland team. I think Saudi v Argentina was just a freak result.

I agree Argentina against Saudi was a bit of a freak result, not least as there appears to have been a possible VAR error with an Argentine goal disallowed at 1-0 that likely would've put the game to bed. But the stats hinted Saudi Arabia could've beaten Poland - more chances and possession and missed a penalty, but obviously, if you don't take them, you don't win. Between the Argentina and France games I saw a piece in the Polish press saying they felt the team was lacking fun, which is a pretty damning observation for a team blessed with Lewandowski as a line leader.

Anyone else befuddled as to how badly it's gone down the pan for him? I know he was a bit of a "love him or hate him" figure at times at Spurs but there was a brief phase when he was a brilliant player, and yet now, it wouldn't be a surprise to hear Besiktas cancelling his loan at Everton next month if they're resorting to this kind of thing.

23 hours ago, Neil said:

Boxing day football is on amazon prime. 

I'm surprised Prime aren't feeling more ambitious in pushing for more just yet. Not least given that future is already being seen elsewhere, given that they're now the main broadcaster in France for Ligue 1, or showing a few big tennis tournaments.

On 12/22/2022 at 5:51 PM, charlierc said:

Anyone else befuddled as to how badly it's gone down the pan for him? I know he was a bit of a "love him or hate him" figure at times at Spurs but there was a brief phase when he was a brilliant player, and yet now, it wouldn't be a surprise to hear Besiktas cancelling his loan at Everton next month if they're resorting to this kind of thing.

Can't be any worse than what we've already got