Football 2022/23

charlierc

While I found Cambridge last season worse as an embarrassment, that was pretty lousy from Newcastle. I see our new cash and great form isn't enough just yet to overcome our historical talent for tripping over ourselves in the FA Cup.

Maybe Leicester on Tuesday and passage to a Carabao Cup semi can be the trade-off... maybe.

10 minutes ago, charlierc said:

The 5 minute highlight cut on the BBC Sport website felt like it was underselling how batshit that game got tbf.

Typical cup game with neither team wanting a draw. Not much of a fan of the Coventry stadium, lacked character and out of town. Hopefully big boy next round and concentrate on the league!

11 hours ago, charlierc said:

While I found Cambridge last season worse as an embarrassment, that was pretty lousy from Newcastle. I see our new cash and great form isn't enough just yet to overcome our historical talent for tripping over ourselves in the FA Cup.

Maybe Leicester on Tuesday and passage to a Carabao Cup semi can be the trade-off... maybe.

Shocked, didn't think our first defeat in months would be to a league one team. 8 changes? Shows how bad out bench and reserves are.

5 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Shocked, didn't think our first defeat in months would be to a league one team. 8 changes? Shows how bad out bench and reserves are.

We can't win every game so I can accept we weren't going to avoid that forever but yeah. Defeat to a third tier club missing arguably their best player (Bannan, who was injured). And on a personal level, to two goals scored by a player who was dreadful in my Sheffield Wednesday save game on Football Manager 2020.

This was perhaps closer to our strongest line-up last season, and to see it fail so badly is an eye-opener. It's obviously gonna be a while before we can be like Man City and have a Team A/Team B of equal talent, but that drop-off was pretty alarming.

17 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Typical cup game with neither team wanting a draw. Not much of a fan of the Coventry stadium, lacked character and out of town. Hopefully big boy next round and concentrate on the league!

Sheffield United at home is what the reward will be.

Coventry's stadium I think got designed at the same time as the likes of Derby, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Reading, Leicester, etc, so all a bit like clone venues. I found it alright for the purposes of attending when I saw The Killers there, but then that's a different purpose innit.

On 1/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, charlierc said:

Coventry's stadium I think got designed at the same time as the likes of Derby, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Reading, Leicester, etc, so all a bit like clone venues. I found it alright for the purposes of attending when I saw The Killers there, but then that's a different purpose innit.

To me part of the away experience is going to the town, having a few beers and then walking to the ground. In the modern stadiums you are stuck to a costa in the retail park next door.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Bale seems a bit young to retire

I don’t think he loves the game, it’s just a job that he was very good at during his peak. He was always going to retire after ticking off the World Cup box. From my perspective it’s a pity Wales couldn’t get past an average Irish team which could have given us a chance to see Bale nearer to his peak in 2018.

As a Welsh fan I see him as a complete legend. Always turned up and gave his all, inspiring lesser players to up their game. To win 4 champions league (including winners in 2) is also his legacy.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To me part of the away experience is going to the town, having a few beers and then walking to the ground. In the modern stadiums you are stuck to a costa in the retail park next door.

You've been to Ashton Gate I see. 

On 1/8/2023 at 4:12 PM, charlierc said:

It’s a bit of a deflating draw when you miss the premiership team twice in a row, but probably a top end of middling draw. We have a very good home record so hopefully will give it a good go.

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t think he loves the game, it’s just a job that he was very good at during his peak. He was always going to retire after ticking off the World Cup box. From my perspective it’s a pity Wales couldn’t get past an average Irish team which could have given us a chance to see Bale nearer to his peak in 2018.

As a Welsh fan I see him as a complete legend. Always turned up and gave his all, inspiring lesser players to up their game. To win 4 champions league (including winners in 2) is also his legacy.

Yeah he never seemed to love it alright. Always drama too. Maybe injuries have accumulated?

You're being kind about an average Irish team. Dogshit would be more accurate.

22 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It’s a bit of a deflating draw when you miss the premiership team twice in a row, but probably a top end of middling draw. We have a very good home record so hopefully will give it a good go.

I imagine tbf that it would still be a great occasion to attend, if perhaps not quite as lively as it would've been had you landed a big fish from the top end of the Premier League. Maybe that can be motivation against a Sheffield United team that who are currently 9 points clear of the play-offs, indicating they might well be in the Premier League next season.

16 hours ago, charlierc said:

I imagine tbf that it would still be a great occasion to attend, if perhaps not quite as lively as it would've been had you landed a big fish from the top end of the Premier League. Maybe that can be motivation against a Sheffield United team that who are currently 9 points clear of the play-offs, indicating they might well be in the Premier League next season.

Sheffield United being owned by Saudis has helped.